Is Abit going to disappear???

pat

Expert
Well, acordind to <A HREF="http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/4245/" target="_new"> this link</A>, Abit seem to have some financial problem. too bad. Even if I dont particulialy use Abit, I know lot of peoples who did and seem to be happy!

I guess that having good enthusiast board is not better than good all around boards... which are those who bring the cash in... Well, It is just my opinion, and I respect it...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Nothing to worry about from my understanding if it truely is just the superficial problems that ABit claims they are.

The got called on the carpet as to how some financial and marketing arrangements were made. Not up to the stock exchanges standards. That may mask a deeper problems but the company denies it (the deeper problems).

I'm not sure the class action suit against them is going to go far either. It is my understanding that plenty of Mobo makers used those bad capacitors but ABit was the only one who owned up to it. Seems to me that the people who 1) stole a partial design of a capacitor and 2) misrepresented their product should be the people persued. Anyway, I'm not a lawyer so I can't say how this is likely to turn out.

The loving are the daring!

pat

Expert
Ok, but how about the digitime's article caaling it like another enron?? I guess that there is something wrong underneath all that.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20041221A2002.html" target="_new">http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20041221A2002.html</A>
Well it does look like they are under them microscope but if they are selling a couple million motherboards it seems they still have a market and a product.

Whether they are profitable or not, I don't really know. Still even banks are loath to kill the cash cow. If they kill the company, they can never recover losses.

The loving are the daring!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've gotten boards with generic caps (that failed of course) from Gigabyte, MSI, Epox, FIC, Shuttle, and Soyo, as well as PC-Chips (but you'd expect the last company).

Most of those companies were using the same Jakon and Tehya caps, that's why I exposed the problem to the world a couple years ago with the first article originally published on Electronic News.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Abit's been running a lot of red ink and increased sales could easily turn it around. The produce higher quality boards than Asus and people fail to realize it.

Even back when they used bad caps they were on superior board designs, they didn't know the parts they were using were failure prone, and they replaced every board sent to them within the 3 year warranty period. I even used to buy boards with bad caps cheap, send them to Abit for FREE replacement, and sell them at 500-1000% profit (before shipping).

The majority of boards using these bad caps were made by PC-Chips! And the other companies (Gigabyte, Epox, MSI) using Jakon/Teyeh caps certainly produced more bad boards than Abit. But it's Abit's user-friendly policy that got them in trouble. The fact they got in trouble over the caps while others dodged the bullet proves that they're simply a better company (for end users) than the competition.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS