Motorola V710 Reaction Thread

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 21, 2004 7:49:57 PM

I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.

I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.

The base of it for me - the phone is, as far as I can tell, now easily
VZW's RF champ...certainly significantly better than my last phone, an
LG 4400, which wasn't bad by any means. The sound quality is
excellent, Bluetooth data (DUN) for my laptop and PDA works with no
problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.

Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
on my phone at all.

So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.

Mike
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 12:42:51 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:49:57 -0400, Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
>has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
>everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.

I've had one for a few days. Mine has the camera tilt and I'd sure
like to be able to sync it with my laptop and Outlook contacts list,
but otherwise I like it a lot. For the few pictures I've taken, I
turn the handset slightly and hey, its level!

RF performance equals the StarTac it replaces, in fringe areas as well
as close-in to a cell site.

Bluetooth linkup to my laptop and handheld (the main reason for
replacing the StarTac) was straightforward and works well, as does the
1xRTT speed (the other reason for replacing the StarTac).

Overall, I'm quite pleased. I replace phones infrequently, and the
StarTac was a champ for the years I used it, so the combo of Bluetooth
and good RF makes the 710 a winner for me.

I did run across the earphone volume problem, but it turned out to be
a slightly off-center sweet spot and I was holding the phone a smidge
to high on my ear (probably in the same place I held the StarTac). A
little lower and viola, problem solved. I actually tuned it DOWN
while driving the truck home...not known for being a quiet
environment.

Cheers...
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 1:32:00 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:49:57 -0400, Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
>has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
>everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.
>
>I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
>for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
>revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
>OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
>a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.
>
>The base of it for me - the phone is, as far as I can tell, now easily
>VZW's RF champ...certainly significantly better than my last phone, an
>LG 4400, which wasn't bad by any means. The sound quality is
>excellent, Bluetooth data (DUN) for my laptop and PDA works with no
>problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
>for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.
>
>Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
>of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
>occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
>on my phone at all.
>
>So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
>whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
>the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
>3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
>couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
>pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
>reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.
>
>Mike

I have a question for you as I was thinking of getting one too. I've
played with the 710 in the Verizon store. It has those four icons that
show on the main screen. Is there a way to have a main screen without
those icons? I haven't been able to get them off the screen in the
short time I used it in the store.

I agree with your opinion of the Howard Forums although you don't seem
to get as many trolls and flames there. Could be because it is
moderated.
August 22, 2004 1:32:01 AM

Teddeli <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<maffi01d5km05s2nt32kgsjksn6tq6j5sh@4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:49:57 -0400, Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
> >has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
> >everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.
> >
> >I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
> >for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
> >revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
> >OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
> >a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.
> >
> >The base of it for me - the phone is, as far as I can tell, now easily
> >VZW's RF champ...certainly significantly better than my last phone, an
> >LG 4400, which wasn't bad by any means. The sound quality is
> >excellent, Bluetooth data (DUN) for my laptop and PDA works with no
> >problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
> >for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.
> >
> >Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
> >of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
> >occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
> >on my phone at all.
> >
> >So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
> >whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
> >the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
> >3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
> >couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
> >pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
> >reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.
> >
> >Mike
>
> I have a question for you as I was thinking of getting one too. I've
> played with the 710 in the Verizon store. It has those four icons that
> show on the main screen. Is there a way to have a main screen without
> those icons? I haven't been able to get them off the screen in the
> short time I used it in the store.
>
> I agree with your opinion of the Howard Forums although you don't seem
> to get as many trolls and flames there. Could be because it is
> moderated.

Go Menu..Settings..personalize...Home screen..Home
keys..Icons....then change the show to hide. Hope this helps..Wayne
August 22, 2004 6:20:19 AM

Is there any way to get rid of that silly pattern that shows on the screen
on the outside of the phone when the phone is closed? Its really dumb.

"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
> has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
> everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.
>
> I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
> for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
> revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
> OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
> a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.
>
> The base of it for me - the phone is, as far as I can tell, now easily
> VZW's RF champ...certainly significantly better than my last phone, an
> LG 4400, which wasn't bad by any means. The sound quality is
> excellent, Bluetooth data (DUN) for my laptop and PDA works with no
> problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
> for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.
>
> Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
> of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
> occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
> on my phone at all.
>
> So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
> whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
> the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
> 3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
> couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
> pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
> reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.
>
> Mike
August 22, 2004 6:20:20 AM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:20:19 +0000, JD wrote:

> Is there any way to get rid of that silly pattern that shows on the screen
> on the outside of the phone when the phone is closed? Its really dumb.

My friend has the phone. If I remember right if you change the
color theme it will change the background on the outside screen,
but I didn't see a way to turn it off or replace it with another
graphic. Kind of strange.

rich
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 6:28:03 AM

It's a large, bug infested, battery hungry phone. I haven't heard many good
things about it at all. While the current customer's are performing R&D on
it, Verizon will eventually release another model with the appropriate
name...like V720 or some thing like that.

"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
> has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
> everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.
>
> I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
> for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
> revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
> OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
> a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.
>
> The base of it for me - the phone is, as far as I can tell, now easily
> VZW's RF champ...certainly significantly better than my last phone, an
> LG 4400, which wasn't bad by any means. The sound quality is
> excellent, Bluetooth data (DUN) for my laptop and PDA works with no
> problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
> for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.
>
> Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
> of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
> occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
> on my phone at all.
>
> So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
> whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
> the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
> 3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
> couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
> pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
> reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.
>
> Mike
August 22, 2004 4:34:15 PM

i've had the phone for a few weeks and i'm really enjoying it. the only
bugs i know of are in the design, where the ear hole is a bit too high, and
"pixplace" is currently not working. when i first got the phone pixplace
worked fine but it's been down for about a week, while VZW works on a bug
related problem.

aside from that, the speakerphone is awesome, i loved the way voicedial sets
itself up after doing a voice analyzer for a few minutes, and the camera
[which was never a priorty for me] works great and is just an added bonus
for me. oh, yeah, the phone works great, as a phone, and i even get
reception in on some side streets that i couldn't get before even with other
tri-mode phones.

i haven't used bluetooth yet, or tried PC synching, but i'll eventually get
around to that.

i guess they're coming out with the 810 model next month but i don't think
it has bluetooth.

i saved a lot of money on this phone by extending my two year plan, and with
the $70 rebate. also, i returned the car charger since the one i used with
my prior phone fits this model, and i also returned the headset since the
speakerphone is so good, i really don't need it.

some day, when the prices dip, i may but the bluetooth accessories too.

good luck and remember, customer service is only as good as the person
you're talking to - so, if you feel you're not getting good service, just
hang up and keep calling until you get a quailty rep. same goes for the
stores, there are good and bad reps out there, just try and find the good
stores and people to work with.

"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
> has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
> everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.
>
> I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
> for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
> revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
> OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
> a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.
>
> The base of it for me - the phone is, as far as I can tell, now easily
> VZW's RF champ...certainly significantly better than my last phone, an
> LG 4400, which wasn't bad by any means. The sound quality is
> excellent, Bluetooth data (DUN) for my laptop and PDA works with no
> problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
> for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.
>
> Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
> of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
> occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
> on my phone at all.
>
> So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
> whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
> the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
> 3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
> couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
> pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
> reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.
>
> Mike
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 5:32:05 PM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:28:03 -0400, "Killer Madness"
<killer@nospam.net> wrote:

>It's a large, bug infested, battery hungry phone. I haven't heard many good
>things about it at all. While the current customer's are performing R&D on
>it, Verizon will eventually release another model with the appropriate
>name...like V720 or some thing like that.
>
>"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
>> has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
>> everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.
>>
>> I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
>> for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
>> revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
>> OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
>> a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.
>>
>> The base of it for me - the phone is, as far as I can tell, now easily
>> VZW's RF champ...certainly significantly better than my last phone, an
>> LG 4400, which wasn't bad by any means. The sound quality is
>> excellent, Bluetooth data (DUN) for my laptop and PDA works with no
>> problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
>> for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.
>>
>> Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
>> of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
>> occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
>> on my phone at all.
>>
>> So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
>> whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
>> the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
>> 3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
>> couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
>> pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
>> reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.
>>
>> Mike

Since I am comtemplating getting this phone could you please elaborate
on the bugs? What exactly are they. Have you used this phone? On what
information do you base your review? The poster you are replying to
actually has the phone and gives it a good review.

Your answer could be helpful in my choice.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 6:51:03 PM

Come on folks, let's stop confusing "bugs" with "design" issures. There is
a big difference.

"tigercat" <markd3@abcyahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
> > for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.
> >
> > Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
> > of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
> > occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
> > on my phone at all.
> >
> > So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
> > whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
> > the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
> > 3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
> > couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
> > pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
> > reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:13:15 PM

In article <QNadnVjj6vmSVrXcRVn-rA@comcast.com>,
"tigercat" <markd3@abcyahoo.com> wrote:

> i saved a lot of money on this phone by extending my two year plan,
> and with the $70 rebate. also, i returned the car charger since the
> one i used with my prior phone fits this model, and i also returned
> the headset since the speakerphone is so good, i really don't need
> it.

Using the speaker phone in public may not be a good idea. For one
thing, people can overhear your conversation; for another, it may be a
distraction and noise pollution.

But, if you're sitting in your car with the phone on its belt holster,
can you use the speakerphone and microphone?

-- Michelle

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous

In article <U1XVc.1050$fR2.848@fe35.usenetserver.com>,
"Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote:

> It's a large, bug infested, battery hungry phone. I haven't heard
> many good things about it at all.

What bad things have you heard?

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
August 22, 2004 11:38:24 PM

yeah, i wasn't really referring to speaking in public, as i know how
annoying that can be for the people around you [when using speakerphone]. i
really meant using the speakerphone while driving, and for this, i simply
place the phone on the panel directly in front of the MPH indicator and
other dials. i drive an Accord which provides a shelf in front of the these
indicators which turns out to be a convenient place to park the cell while
talking. everyone can hear me fine and the phone hasn't fallen once.

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <QNadnVjj6vmSVrXcRVn-rA@comcast.com>,
> "tigercat" <markd3@abcyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > i saved a lot of money on this phone by extending my two year plan,
> > and with the $70 rebate. also, i returned the car charger since the
> > one i used with my prior phone fits this model, and i also returned
> > the headset since the speakerphone is so good, i really don't need
> > it.
>
> Using the speaker phone in public may not be a good idea. For one
> thing, people can overhear your conversation; for another, it may be a
> distraction and noise pollution.
>
> But, if you're sitting in your car with the phone on its belt holster,
> can you use the speakerphone and microphone?
>
> -- Michelle
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:38:25 PM

In article <6a-dnWTkJN_ms7TcRVn-ow@comcast.com>,
"tigercat" <markd3@abcyahoo.com> wrote:

> yeah, i wasn't really referring to speaking in public, as i know how
> annoying that can be for the people around you [when using
> speakerphone]. i really meant using the speakerphone while driving,
> and for this, i simply place the phone on the panel directly in front
> of the MPH indicator and other dials. i drive an Accord which
> provides a shelf in front of the these indicators which turns out to
> be a convenient place to park the cell while talking. everyone can
> hear me fine and the phone hasn't fallen once.

And if you have an accident or have to take evasive maneuvers, the phone
becomes a missile.

But in the car, I'll have a bluetooth connection to the car, so that
won't be a problem. And for elsewhere, I'll get a BT headset if I can
find one that works with my hearing aid.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
August 23, 2004 2:59:54 AM

My wife and I both bought a V710 on 8/20.
We have given both of them a tough work out this weekend trying to find
faults.
Can't find any. Love the Bluetooth earset. Works great.
Phone does a fantastic job of obtaining and holding a signal.
Battery life has been very good for a battery that's only been charged once.
Internet access via Bluetooth for our Iraq's works great as well.
We are both very happy so far with the V710.
We traded up from two V60i's.
And we are both 50, does that makes us adults? :)

"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
> has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
> everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.
>
> I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
> for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
> revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
> OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
> a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.
>
> The base of it for me - the phone is, as far as I can tell, now easily
> VZW's RF champ...certainly significantly better than my last phone, an
> LG 4400, which wasn't bad by any means. The sound quality is
> excellent, Bluetooth data (DUN) for my laptop and PDA works with no
> problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
> for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.
>
> Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
> of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
> occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
> on my phone at all.
>
> So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
> whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
> the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
> 3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
> couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
> pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
> reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.
>
> Mike
August 23, 2004 3:42:29 AM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:32:05 GMT, Teddeli <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Since I am comtemplating getting this phone could you please elaborate
>on the bugs? What exactly are they. Have you used this phone? On what
>information do you base your review? The poster you are replying to
>actually has the phone and gives it a good review.
>
>Your answer could be helpful in my choice.

A word of advisory: "Killer Madness" is our latest
alt.cellular.verizon troll. At the slightest hint of something
negative being posted about VZW or its phones, he leaps out from
behind the bushes and shows his displeasure. He obviously does not
HAVE the phone, and as you noted, I do. ;)

A word of advice. All new phones are buggy to some degree, some more
than others. The 710's sister phone, the 720, was perhaps...if you
believed all the reports...perhaps the buggiest phone in creation.
They finally "got it right", but it took a change of model number
(730), because of the early reputation.

My earlier message mentions some of the "bugs" (and perhaps a design
issue or two) that some people post about this phone. Not a single
one of these issues has been important to ME, as they affect parts of
the phone either A) I don't or rarely use (camera tilt, etc.) or B)
reflect missing features I wasn't concerned about in the first place
(missing Bluetooth profile for moving contacts/files). Some, like
earpiece volume and moving keypads, seem to vary from phone to phone
(I have neither issue on mine).

The only true BUG I can find can't be easily reproduced...occasionally
the phone will kick out of either data use or camera use to a "No
Service" screen, then it'll find the network and reregister. It's
happened to me about 3 times now, less than once every other day. I
would hope a firmware upgrade would fix this. The "bump to No
Service" has never happened to be in a phone call (I've had some LONG
ones, too) or in a Bluetooth data session with my PDA or laptop
(ditto)...only in the in-handset data/menus. Just this evening, I was
riding in a car down I-77 in Southeast Ohio, in Alltel's service area,
and traversed an entire county (25-plus minute drive) doing data use
with Bluetooth and my iPaq PDA. How cool is that?

The upshot - I have used the thing extensively, it's pretty much
bulletproof when it comes to actually making and receiving calls, the
Bluetooth data works smoothly, and it seems to have the best reception
of any current VZW phone (I haven't tried the 3589i, which has been
lauded in that regard in the past).

The verdict? Make your own decision. If you want to go for it, you
have 15 days to use the phone like I have. If before those 15 days
are up, you're not happy...return the phone.

Mike
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 1:08:59 PM

Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in

<snip>

> So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
> whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
> the high school playground.

I like Hofo but yeah.

I got my 710 on the 11th. I've not used it extensively but I've used it a
bit.

I had the phone plugged in, using it as a bluetooth internet modem and
after a couple of hours, the battery power was reduced to nothing. I can
understand this happening without being plugged in, but it was plugged
in.

I've not been able how to figure out how to get Mobile Phone Tools, which
I keep hearing is "free" but hell if I can figure out where (legit). I'm
planning on buying it in the next few days after I get a transflash card
finally. To date I've not sent any pictures taken from the phone; it
appears to me that the picture quality is mediocre for indoor pictures
due to light issues and not because of anything inherent with the phone
as compared to my zire 72 or other phone cams. I'll know more in upcoming
weeks.

I wished I'd gotten a better deal on the phone... $250 with no
accessories is a little steep. I want a bluetooth headset but have no
idea which one to get. Same with the covering; I've got a couple of
scuffs already.

When using the phone as a phone, the battery life is very good; I can go
2 days without needing a charge. (admittedly I don't use the phone that
much). With my 120c (which was ~8 months old when I replaced it due to a
headset jack problem) every 2 days I absolutely needed to charge the
phone regardless of the # of calls I received or made. My 710 has easily
matched that requirement, though BT drains the battery quickly.

I've seen the 600. I like the fact that the outside of the 600 lights up
and part of me wishes my 710 did that as well. (I know, its just a stupid
"oooh, aaaah" and not a real useful feature...) I don't know if the
external display is programmable or changeable. But I like my 710 phone.
If you want it to replace your 3 mp camera, you're crazy.

Oh and the default pictures on the phone appear to not be deletable. I
wish there was a way around that.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 1:16:00 PM

Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
> for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
> revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
> OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
> a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.

I havent noticed the camera lens tilt on mine, but I've also noticed that
when the phone is open, the lens isn't exactly perpendicular to the floor,
normally. Maybe my camera does have it and I'm missing it...
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 1:19:39 PM

Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in

<snip>

> The only true BUG I can find can't be easily reproduced...occasionally
> the phone will kick out of either data use or camera use to a "No
> Service" screen, then it'll find the network and reregister. It's
> happened to me about 3 times now, less than once every other day. I
> would hope a firmware upgrade would fix this. The "bump to No
> Service" has never happened to be in a phone call (I've had some LONG
> ones, too) or in a Bluetooth data session with my PDA or laptop
> (ditto)...only in the in-handset data/menus.

This happened to me twice while using WAP on the phone. I figured it was
due to me using a free WAP service & not verizon's built in service.

<snip>

> The upshot - I have used the thing extensively, it's pretty much
> bulletproof when it comes to actually making and receiving calls, the
> Bluetooth data works smoothly, and it seems to have the best reception

I had a lot of headaches getting this to work with my PDA and my laptop.
I wish I knew what I did because it suddenly started to work and has been
fine since then.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 4:55:55 PM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:42:29 -0400, Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:32:05 GMT, Teddeli <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Since I am comtemplating getting this phone could you please elaborate
>>on the bugs? What exactly are they. Have you used this phone? On what
>>information do you base your review? The poster you are replying to
>>actually has the phone and gives it a good review.
>>
>>Your answer could be helpful in my choice.
>
>A word of advisory: "Killer Madness" is our latest
>alt.cellular.verizon troll. At the slightest hint of something
>negative being posted about VZW or its phones, he leaps out from
>behind the bushes and shows his displeasure. He obviously does not
>HAVE the phone, and as you noted, I do. ;)
>
>A word of advice. All new phones are buggy to some degree, some more
>than others. The 710's sister phone, the 720, was perhaps...if you
>believed all the reports...perhaps the buggiest phone in creation.
>They finally "got it right", but it took a change of model number
>(730), because of the early reputation.
>
>My earlier message mentions some of the "bugs" (and perhaps a design
>issue or two) that some people post about this phone. Not a single
>one of these issues has been important to ME, as they affect parts of
>the phone either A) I don't or rarely use (camera tilt, etc.) or B)
>reflect missing features I wasn't concerned about in the first place
>(missing Bluetooth profile for moving contacts/files). Some, like
>earpiece volume and moving keypads, seem to vary from phone to phone
>(I have neither issue on mine).
>
>The only true BUG I can find can't be easily reproduced...occasionally
>the phone will kick out of either data use or camera use to a "No
>Service" screen, then it'll find the network and reregister. It's
>happened to me about 3 times now, less than once every other day. I
>would hope a firmware upgrade would fix this. The "bump to No
>Service" has never happened to be in a phone call (I've had some LONG
>ones, too) or in a Bluetooth data session with my PDA or laptop
>(ditto)...only in the in-handset data/menus. Just this evening, I was
>riding in a car down I-77 in Southeast Ohio, in Alltel's service area,
>and traversed an entire county (25-plus minute drive) doing data use
>with Bluetooth and my iPaq PDA. How cool is that?
>
>The upshot - I have used the thing extensively, it's pretty much
>bulletproof when it comes to actually making and receiving calls, the
>Bluetooth data works smoothly, and it seems to have the best reception
>of any current VZW phone (I haven't tried the 3589i, which has been
>lauded in that regard in the past).
>
>The verdict? Make your own decision. If you want to go for it, you
>have 15 days to use the phone like I have. If before those 15 days
>are up, you're not happy...return the phone.
>
>Mike

I'm well aware of Killer Madness and his trolling. I wanted to see
what he would say when asked to give answers based on fact. I usually
don't get involved in threads like that. I try only to reply to
threads where I can offer advice based on personal experience or
actual knowledge. I couldn't help myself this time.

But I am thinking of purchasing this phone. Thank you for your input.
It was thorough, and informative. I am particularly interested in your
comment about the phone reception.
August 23, 2004 6:11:03 PM

What WAP are you using?
Thanks.

"h0mi" <h0mi@ooohay.com> wrote in message
> Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
> <snip>
>
> > The only true BUG I can find can't be easily reproduced...occasionally
> > the phone will kick out of either data use or camera use to a "No
> > Service" screen, then it'll find the network and reregister. It's
> > happened to me about 3 times now, less than once every other day. I
> > would hope a firmware upgrade would fix this. The "bump to No
> > Service" has never happened to be in a phone call (I've had some LONG
> > ones, too) or in a Bluetooth data session with my PDA or laptop
> > (ditto)...only in the in-handset data/menus.
>
> This happened to me twice while using WAP on the phone. I figured it was
> due to me using a free WAP service & not verizon's built in service.
>
> <snip>
>
> > The upshot - I have used the thing extensively, it's pretty much
> > bulletproof when it comes to actually making and receiving calls, the
> > Bluetooth data works smoothly, and it seems to have the best reception
>
> I had a lot of headaches getting this to work with my PDA and my laptop.
> I wish I knew what I did because it suddenly started to work and has been
> fine since then.

August 23, 2004 9:50:52 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:55:55 GMT, Teddeli <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>But I am thinking of purchasing this phone. Thank you for your input.
>It was thorough, and informative. I am particularly interested in your
>comment about the phone reception.

It is *outstanding*. I've done a lot of driving in fringe areas,
areas that used to get less signal even on my most recent phone, an LG
4400. I also went through an area that my old Nokia 5185i couldn't
get signal at all or had a weak analog signal...in many parts of
Southeast Ohio, and in West Virginia along I-77 between Charleston and
Beckley, along with U.S. 460 between Princeton, WV and the WV/VA line.

I had a little "help" from a Wilson mini-mag mount antenna. But even
without the antenna, the results were impressive. Some of this may be
due to upgraded coverage since I last went this route (over a year and
a half ago), but much of it is clearly due to the phone.

For example, I used to do the U.S. 460 run from Exit 9 in WV
(Princeton) into Virginia on a monthly basis. My old Nokia 5185i
would regularly go into roughly a 10 mile "no service" area about a
mile east of the exit, picking up the VZW SID 502 (Roanoke) signal
just at the WV/VA state line.

The V710, with antenna, had a 1-2 bar U.S. Cellular digital signal the
entire way, until the VZW Roanoke signal picked up...instead of at the
state line, a good 3 or 4 miles BEFORE the state line. Wondering how
much of this was the antenna, I occasionally unplugged it...which
dropped a 1 bar USCC digital signal, but immediately picked up a 2-3
bar analog roaming signal I can't identify yet. The antenna has
generally been adding about 1 bar of signal strength on the display on
the V710.

In fact, when I unplugged my antenna, it was the first time I've ever
seen "No Service" on the V710 (well, aside from the in-handset data
bug I mentioned ;) . And that lasted roughly 2 seconds, when the phone
quickly jumped into that analog roaming. The V710 seems MUCH quicker
at making decisions about changing networks when the signal dies than
the 4400, and MUCH quicker to find a more favorable network.

(The V710 held onto that VZW Roanoke signal a few miles into WV
without the antenna...it just dropped from 4 to 3 bars. The reason I
attribute this to the phone is that as far as I know, VZW has not
expanded its SID 502 coverage into WV, where it's not licensed...it
was a strong network in VA even when I had my Nokia 5185i and took
little time to go to nearly full strength back then after being inside
the VA line.)

The Southeast Ohio roaming via Alltel was a usually 3-bar or more
digital signal all the way down I-77 with the V710...again, I don't
know if this is coverage improvement or not, Alltel could have turned
up more digital coverage on that route since my last time there.

I haven't used the Nokia 3589i, generally acknowledged by many as the
best RF performer in the VZW lineup, but my gut feeling tells me the
V710 either meets or exceeds it.

If you're looking into it, put the thing through its paces...see if
the bugs/issues bother you (handset volume, BT implementation, camera
quality/tilt, etc.). Use the keypad a lot and see if it moves around
(mine doesn't). The only way you're gonna be sure is to put it
through a workout for 15 days. But I fell for the thing after day 1!
:D

Mike
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:38:07 PM

Dude, from experience alone with when Verizon releases phones. Every single
one has loads of bugs and never works right the first time. That's why
there's multiple versions of the same damn phone on this network. Anyway,
why spend so much money on a phone that only gets 3 hour battery time and is
in it's first year of bugs?

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:28:03 -0400, "Killer Madness"
> <killer@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> >It's a large, bug infested, battery hungry phone. I haven't heard many
good
> >things about it at all. While the current customer's are performing R&D
on
> >it, Verizon will eventually release another model with the appropriate
> >name...like V720 or some thing like that.
> >
> >"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> I've seen a LOT of talk about this phone on Howard Forums, where it
> >> has its own sub-forum...but not here. I'd kinda like to know what
> >> everyone thinks of the Motorola V710.
> >>
> >> I bought one a few days ago, and so far, it's been a stellar performer
> >> for me. Much of the concern posted in places like HoFo seems to
> >> revolve around a few things, like a "crippled" Bluetooth profile (no
> >> OBEX, which involves moving files back and forth out of the phone) and
> >> a camera lens tilt, which doesn't bother me at all.
> >>
> >> The base of it for me - the phone is, as far as I can tell, now easily
> >> VZW's RF champ...certainly significantly better than my last phone, an
> >> LG 4400, which wasn't bad by any means. The sound quality is
> >> excellent, Bluetooth data (DUN) for my laptop and PDA works with no
> >> problems at all - and seems faster than the cable I used with the 4400
> >> for some reason - and I'm also enjoying the BT headset and speaker.
> >>
> >> Whatever bugs there are - and there are *some* - are either in parts
> >> of the phone I don't use or care about, or don't affect me. One
> >> occasional reported problem - a loose, moving keypad - is not present
> >> on my phone at all.
> >>
> >> So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
> >> whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
> >> the high school playground. One day when I logged in there, roughly
> >> 3/4 of the "birthdays" list was people around 20 years old. Heck, I
> >> couldn't even stand GOING there until I turned off the "sig file
> >> pictures" feature...most of the pictures people used were oversize and
> >> reminded me of something on a high school boy's bedroom wall.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >

> Since I am comtemplating getting this phone could you please elaborate
> on the bugs? What exactly are they. Have you used this phone? On what
> information do you base your review? The poster you are replying to
> actually has the phone and gives it a good review.
>
> Your answer could be helpful in my choice.

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:59:46 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:38:07 -0400, "Killer Madness"
<killer@nospam.net> wrote:

>Dude, from experience alone with when Verizon releases phones. Every single
>one has loads of bugs and never works right the first time. That's why
>there's multiple versions of the same damn phone on this network. Anyway,
>why spend so much money on a phone that only gets 3 hour battery time and is
>in it's first year of bugs?
>
>"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:28:03 -0400, "Killer Madness"
>> <killer@nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>> >It's a large, bug infested, battery hungry phone. I haven't heard many
>good
>> >things about it at all. While the current customer's are performing R&D
>on
>> >it, Verizon will eventually release another model with the appropriate
>> >name...like V720 or some thing like that.
>> >
>> >"Mike" <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Since I am comtemplating getting this phone could you please elaborate
>> on the bugs? What exactly are they. Have you used this phone? On what
>> information do you base your review? The poster you are replying to
>> actually has the phone and gives it a good review.
>>
>> Your answer could be helpful in my choice.

What experience have you had with this phone? What bugs does it have?
Be specific.
August 24, 2004 5:40:17 PM

Yes, I would like to delete the pre-installed photos as well. Any ideas
anyone???

> Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote in

> <snip>
>

> > So...comments? I'm hoping to get a more adult perspective on the
> > whole thing. For one, whenever I visit HoFo, I feel like I'm back on
> > the high school playground.

> I like Hofo but yeah.
>
> I got my 710 on the 11th. I've not used it extensively but I've used it a
> bit.
>
> I had the phone plugged in, using it as a bluetooth internet modem and
> after a couple of hours, the battery power was reduced to nothing. I can
> understand this happening without being plugged in, but it was plugged
> in.
>
> I've not been able how to figure out how to get Mobile Phone Tools, which
> I keep hearing is "free" but hell if I can figure out where (legit). I'm
> planning on buying it in the next few days after I get a transflash card
> finally. To date I've not sent any pictures taken from the phone; it
> appears to me that the picture quality is mediocre for indoor pictures
> due to light issues and not because of anything inherent with the phone
> as compared to my zire 72 or other phone cams. I'll know more in upcoming
> weeks.
>
> I wished I'd gotten a better deal on the phone... $250 with no
> accessories is a little steep. I want a bluetooth headset but have no
> idea which one to get. Same with the covering; I've got a couple of
> scuffs already.
>
> When using the phone as a phone, the battery life is very good; I can go
> 2 days without needing a charge. (admittedly I don't use the phone that
> much). With my 120c (which was ~8 months old when I replaced it due to a
> headset jack problem) every 2 days I absolutely needed to charge the
> phone regardless of the # of calls I received or made. My 710 has easily
> matched that requirement, though BT drains the battery quickly.
>
> I've seen the 600. I like the fact that the outside of the 600 lights up
> and part of me wishes my 710 did that as well. (I know, its just a stupid
> "oooh, aaaah" and not a real useful feature...) I don't know if the
> external display is programmable or changeable. But I like my 710 phone.
> If you want it to replace your 3 mp camera, you're crazy.
>
> Oh and the default pictures on the phone appear to not be deletable. I
> wish there was a way around that.

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 9:27:44 AM

Total nonsense. I got my LG 4400 the day it came out and it works
flawlessly with the original firmware.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 5:15:19 AM

"Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Dude, from experience alone with when Verizon releases phones. Every
single
> one has loads of bugs and never works right the first time. That's why
> there's multiple versions of the same damn phone on this network. Anyway,
> why spend so much money on a phone that only gets 3 hour battery time and
is
> in it's first year of bugs?

So tell us all, Killer, what phone do you use and what carrier do you use??

--
God Bless America!

Bob the Printer

Our web pages are located at:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bdolson/
August 29, 2004 6:27:00 AM

On 26 Aug 2004 05:27:44 GMT, Gordy <kg0wx@IHATESPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Total nonsense. I got my LG 4400 the day it came out and it works
>flawlessly with the original firmware.

What firmware? I'm curious, because I bought my LG 4400 about a month
or two after it came out, and it was already up to v6 (it's v10 now, I
think they're up to 11).

The thing is...like the V710, whatever issues the earlier 4400
firmware may have had never affected ME.

Mike
!