How would you handle this?

honsbeek

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
Hi ,
If you were in possesion of these hardwares how would you configure them and go about overclocking them ???

System 1 (my current system)

Mother Board = Asus p4p800 SE
CPU = Pentium 4 (Prescott) 2.8 Ghz (800) E 1 Mb L cache
RAM = Samsung DDR-SDR Memory in Dual 256 MB (512total)
AGP = Radeon 7500 64mb.

SYSTEM 2 (My future intented system)

Mother Board = Asus p5GDC Pro
CPU = Pentium 4 (Prescott) 530 (800)1 Mb L cache
RAM = Samsung DDR2-SDR Memory in Dual 512 MB (1GBtotal)
AGP = GeForce 6600 (or which ever you think would be good)

Please tell me how you would set up and configure these systems and how you would overclock these systems...
Any extra suggestions and reccomendations would be appreciated

thanks
Ralph

pat

Expert
I would handle number2 carefully, with glove as it may be hot to the touch...

hum..couldnt resist.. :smile:

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

What doyou plan on using the system to do - gaming, video editing, etc?
How much are you looking at spending - what's comfortable?

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones

Will probably need a set of welder's gloves...especially if overclocking!

As far as the overclocking goes, you will need one awesome HSF or <b>preferably</b> a water-cooling system. The Prescotts run hot when they aren't even OC'd! You also need to make sure you have an <b>awesome</b> power supply to be able to run this system stably. The overclocking forum has a good guide/FAQ for overclocking and the power supplies forum has some good info on PSUs.

- John Paul Jones

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
It is becoming rare to get an unbiased answer to any question that involves Intel. Maybe this will help you. I have an Intel P4 3.0E that runs on air only and it will Overclock to 3.6 and stay under 60C. I very seldom see the temps get up to 55C even when under a load. So for the first system that you mentioned I can tell you from my experience the 3.0E Overclockd very good on stock cooling.

The Socket 775 is much hotter. I have the 550 3.4 model and it Overclocks very good also. I am running liquid on this rig though and would suggest if you go with the socket 775 that you should plan to use liquid from the start expecially if your overclocking. With the 3.4 I have broken 4G, and this was done on an Epox that doesnt even have the multiplier unlock option. The 775 systems are very fast, OC well, and with liquid cooling are very good in the benchmarks also.

BTW that 3.0E system has been as high as 3.8 on air. I thought this was a very fast OC especially with it b eing done stock and not liquid cooled.

Im not suggesting either one in particular, I just thought sharing some personal experience info might give you a better idea of what to expect.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

Moz- You're 100% correct. I let my bias towards AMD influence my last psot and I apologize to both of you. Will try to limit my responses to the questions asked and give better info to posters. :smile:

- John Paul Jones

pat

Expert
Just to be sure, did you check if you cpu was not throttleling donw when u overclocked it? Having it running a high speed and having it WORKING at high speed is 2

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I didnt mean my last reply to sound quite like it did. I actually think that AMD is the best buy all around. The only thing that bothers me about all the HEAT that intel gets about all their HEAT :smile: is that while this is a real issue, its one that can be overcome if you simply do the research and plan ahead for it.

Sorry if I came across to strong!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I was monitoring with a freeware program in all of my overclocks except the one that I took the 3.0e up to 3.8 On this OC, I didnt do much with it because that just seems to extreme without better cooling. In other words I didnt want to damage the CPU. There was only one time at 3.6 that I had any throtteling to happen. Im 90% sure that it was due to another issue that I was having at the time. It hasnt done it again. I will say this about my particular 3.0e chip. I think that I got very lucky and ended up with one that just happened to be a much better performer than then norm. The only other thing that I have done to help my cooling is to reverse the direction of my front and rear 120 fans. The rear is the intake and the front is the exhaust. It really helped with the temps especially the Northbridge. Since most of the air that is generated by the 120's comes off outside the perimeter of the fan itself, it hits my CPU and Northbrigde with fresh cool air.

The HEAT demon Socket 775 3.4 CPU never has throttled. Not even once. I am liquid cooling it, and have the temps way down with my modded liquid cooling setup. I have an electric chilled water cooler/tap for a resivior[6 Gallons]. I also have the lines running into a series of tupperware dishes in my frezzer. Yes, im talking about the frezzer that is in the Fridge. There are no limits to the wierd crap a single man can get away with :eek:

Freezer - hadn't thought about that one yet. Let's see... we can place the comp close to the kitchen or run the thru the living room, under the couch, over the dog, around the cat and into the case - SWEET! LMAO

- John Paul Jones

endyen

Splendid
Here is a tough question. How would your OC compare with mine. I have a s754, that runs 24/7 at 2.45ghz. It is stock cooler and TIM. It never goes above 52c. It is running F@H at 100% cpu usage. Could you get that kind of perf out of either of your systems?

G_K

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
To get that performace he would have to replace his ram with PC2100 and lower his FSB from 200Mhz to around 102Mhz

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I need to know which mobo you have. The mobo is critical with these CPU's. There are only a few that can get around the 10% barrier. The mobo that I have been using is an Epox. This particular board only cost around $110.00 and is a solid board. I have been able to get my 3.4 to 4.1 with it. I just recevied my new ASUS board today and am working on getting it up and going. This ASUS board is suppose to be the one that is capable of the fastest OC's with the 775 CPU. It better be, I paid $240.00 for it.

That cooling system is the same one that I started out with. I still use the Waterblock that came with it. It will definetly keep that CPU cool even under stress. There are a couple of small modifications that you will probably want to do. What case are you using or considering? This is a very important factor also.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Freezer - hadn't thought about that one yet. Let's see... we can place the comp close to the kitchen or run the thru the living room, under the couch, over the dog, around the cat and into the case - SWEET! LMAO
I guess that its obvious that I have way to much free time on my hands :smile:

I dont have my computer anywhere close to the Freezer. I ran the line inside the wall and through the attict of my house. You cant see any of it. Then I used a snake"Tool to run wire inside the walls" to get the line to come out behind the Fridge. The rest was easy, I just did a slight modification to the place where the ice maker goes and sealed it up. The only way that the frezzer can actually help cool the liquid enough to really matter is by allowing the liquid to stay in there long enough. I use some tupperware dishes and alot of copper tubing that is coiled up inside the freezer. I picked up my water cooler/tap "The kind that you see in offices that have the big jug of water turned upside down on top of them" at LOWES Hardware store. They were on clearence from last year so I got it at a really good deal. It sits right beside my desk, I keep it plugged up 24/7. You may be wondering how I can push that much liquid. A good pet store that sells high quality aquarium pumps will solve this. Before I went nuts with my fridge, I had a little $20.00 pump that was more than enough, but it couldnt push this much liquid. I had to shell out a few bucks on this pump, but it has an adjustable flow gauge so it was worth it. I havent had this little project running long. It looks good so far, but only time will tell if its got what it takes to hold up.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Your going to have to help me with this one because I dont have any experience with AMD. Im not sure how to compare the two. For instance, I dont have a clue what 2.45ghz with an AMD would be compared to an Intel. I didnt think that they were the same. Now if your wondering about the temps, my 775 doesnt get anywhere close to 52C now that I have it cooled the way that I do. The 3.0E gets up in the mid 50's running F@H 24/7. I have done so much switching and swapping lately, I havent been folding as much. When I am folding both systems churn out those big 600 pointers pretty fast. Thats OCing the 3.0e@3.6 and the 3.4@3.8 most of the time. This new mobo and Ram is probably going to really jack my performance on the 775 system. I hope it will be up and running in the next 24 hours. Its going to have the fastest DDR2 in it.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I am using a new additive that increased my systems heat transfer abiilty. Here in the US you can get it at any Auto Parts store. Its called XTREME Sport and its made by Pro Blend. If your ever looking for a different liquid you may give this one a shot.

endyen

Splendid
That's my answer then. I thought you had an Amd rig before.
The 3800 is clocked @ 2.4, but it has dual channel. A 600 point fold might give me an idea. What is the fastest you've gone through one of those, what WU was it, and what speed was the chip at.