Recommendation of outdoor antennas

HI,

We are connecting two buildings about 200 feet apart. We will be using 2.4
Ghz. Does anyone have any suggestions about the type of antennas to use?
Low cost is important, but not if the solution does not work well.

Thanks,

Jerry

200 feet is not much. If you want the antennas to only radiate towards each
building then use a directional type
patch antenna with about a 45 to 60 degree beam more or less. If you dont
mind if the signal radiates in all directions then you can go with an
omnidirectional. Its not going to take much gain for 200 foot, you could
probably do ok with 2 stock Access Points. You need to have a clear Line of
site for best signal.

"Jerry Kurata" <jerryk@nospam.com> wrote:
>We are connecting two buildings about 200 feet apart. We will be using 2.4
>Ghz. Does anyone have any suggestions about the type of antennas to use?
>Low cost is important, but not if the solution does not work well.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jerry

I just installed a pair of these flat panel patch antennas in a
similar environment (100 ft apart for ours)which I am very happy with:

http://www.sharperconcepts.net/product_info.php?products_id=49

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:18:47 GMT, "Jerry Kurata" <jerryk@nospam.com>
wrote:

>We are connecting two buildings about 200 feet apart. We will be using 2.4
>Ghz. Does anyone have any suggestions about the type of antennas to use?
>Low cost is important, but not if the solution does not work well.

At 200ft, almost any type of directional antenna will work. This
sounds like a commercial adventure, so I won't recommend any do it
thyself antennas. If you are impoverished, methinks an 8dBi panel
(patch) antenna is sufficient. I like Maxrad 9 ($25), 13 ($35), or
18dBi ($60) antennas because of the ease of mounting (swivel ball with
a hose clamp to a vertical pipe). If you're into 802.11g type
performance, your main concern will be to insure that you have a very
strong signal, with little interference from other co-channel users
located to the sides of the antenna pattern. If this is a tall
building, that has the potential to see other co-channel users, I
would make some effort to block the signal from other directions with
something absorbant (not reflective). Therefore, I would NOT suggest
you use an omni or yagi, but instead use a panel (patch) or dish
antenna. I can run a fade margin calculation to determine the minimum
required gain, but I need to know what you're working with, how long
the coax run, type of coax, expected speed, etc.
http://www.fab-corp.com/J1.htm

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:46:13 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>This
>sounds like a commercial adventure, so I won't recommend any do it
>thyself antennas.

I can't resist.

Build your own biquad panel:
http://www.frars.org.uk/cgi-bin/render.pl?action=link&url=1162
http://www.frars.org.uk/cgi-bin/render.pl?action=link&url=1064
http://martybugs.net/wireless/biquad/
http://reseaucitoyen.be/?BiQuad
http://www.trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm

This article shows the WRONG way to build a biquad. I threw it in
because I've seen too many people build it this way and wonder why it
doesn't work.
http://www.geocities.com/lincomatic/homebrewant.html#biquad
The other antennas on this page appear to be correct.

Or, build your own panel (patch) antenna:
http://devices.planet-wireless.de/comtelco/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/lincomatic/homebrewant.html
http://www.rc-cam.com/gp_patch.htm

See section on "2.4 Ghz home made" antennas for additional links:
http://qdg.sorbs.net/qdgant.htm

Ah, now I feel better...

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558