Performance Issues :(

daninozz

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Hey all,

Recently upgraded a part in my pc being the graphics card from a 9800gtx and a GTX460 and well tbh i dont see much difference.. im not sure whats going on with my rig but all my games are the same its like i have the 9800gtx in there..
anywayz i have the "Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb Overclocked Edition" i heard bout this card on Tomshardware and was 2010s Recommended buy so i went out and got it and yeh with the performance im not really happy with it i was expecting a huge change and nothing much really different still laggy choppy etc. ive got the latest drivers reformatted defragged cleaned up pc scanned for everything viruses /spyware. monitored my GPU and CPU temps and they are normal. heres the rest of my rig.

Mobo : EP43-UD3L

CPU : Intel Core2 duo E6550 2.33Ghz

GPU : Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb Overclocked Edition

PSU : Corsair TX 850w

RAM : DDR2 Kingston 800MHz

and 1 WD HDD.

Also i know for a fact that power is not a problem. 850w easy enough to power this card.

the only other possible explanation as to why both cards are performing horribly could be the fact that the cpu could be bottle necking both my cards. The cpu is very old.

I have overclocked my cpu from 2.33GHZ to 2.67GHz. also i experienced all these frames issues before i had overclocked my cpu. im thinking of upgrading my cpu to the Intel Core2 Quad Q9505 2.83GHZ. I have a question though because i have clocked my cpu from 2.33 to 2.67 and the problem still remained will get a quad core cpu help my card and would it still bottleneck my card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks :)

Cheers

Daninozz

daninozz

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
can anyone please tell me if this cpu could possibly be bottlenecking my Graphics Card. i dont want to discuss my gaming im simply after if my cpu will bottleneck my gpu? thats it nothing more. please dont post if you cant answer this question

Cheers

Daninozz :)

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
If you're considering changing the processor, I'd recommend the core i5 750.

I agree that your CPU is 'old', but that doesn't look like the problem, considering that you're effectively running at 2.67Ghz. However, a quad core is definitely preferable over a dual core.

daninozz

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
hey namelessonez,

i am changing processor to a quad because thats the highest cpu my board can support. Intel Core2 Quad Q9505 2.83GHz. my board supports socket 775 and if i had more money i would rebuild but im running low on the money so i figured this is my best option. otherwise i would have to get a new mobo cpu and ram to get the core i5. do you know if my processor atm i have now is bottlenecking my card?

Cheers

Daninozz