which one is broken

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I recently got a good deal on Athlon 64 3000+ 754 and decided to build a new system. The CPU is second hand but the mainboard is Gigabyte K8VM800M and also for first time, a SATA hard disk are new.

I have 3 disc of XP for backing up in case sióme disc has problem and I have instaaled all right with them. But with this system, I only got the error "Could not load the file /I386/KDCOM.DLL.Eroor code is 4. Press any key to start"
I search the net and there are some people claim that problem to be of hard disk format. I though that maybe something is not quite right with the SATA disc so I use the IDE one. This time, after the set up program is checking your configuration line, all the miónitor is empty.
The fact is that the integrated graphics card does not work properly, It just create wrong character system, just like when you use wrong encoding.I have to use the AGP graphic card for all content to be displayed correctly.

So should it be that the new mobo is crap.

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Yes. You are right. The memory is defective. I replace memory and it works. But now, the set up could not detect the hard disk. Is there any special thing with SATA. I have the cable connecting the disc to the mainboard.

pat

Expert
By saying that the setup cannot detect the SATA, is it detected in BIOS? I mean, does it show up at POST?

I mean, is it the BIOS that cannot detect it or the Windows install program?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well for some reason the Via chipset has issues even with XP. I had to install SATA drivers from a floppy to get a single SATA to work on a K8V-SE recently. I've never had this issue with Nforce3 chipset boards. No biggie, just get the drivers on disk and do a new or repair install. When it asks for drivers hit F6.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
BIOS can not detect. It shows NO primary disc. In fact, I have searched and it seems that the only way is to create a floppy disc. But that is hassle as I do not have the floppy driver and only the CD-ROM for the mainboard.
Anh when I press F6 , nothing happen, it just goes to question of F2. Is it because I do not have floppy driver conected.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Dont you hate that about floppy drives? I use one so rarely that I never install one, but then there is that occasion like you are having that you need one. I bought a cheap external floppy that I only attach when I have to use it.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

pat

Expert
Maybe you have to activate the serial ATA PHY in BIOS, as in my board.... Otherwise, only IDE device devices will be detected.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like Pat said make sure boot from SATA is enabled in BIOS. Also, some boards are very specific which SATA port must be used for a single drive. It should point this out in the manual. Make sure you're on the right port!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
In fact, this is the problem with VIA chipset if I do not want to say it is with Gigabyte mobo. Other person also posted a problem with Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard that has NForce chipset.
I was quite surprised as when I helped my friend with a Pentium system, there was no issue with SATA so when I got to problem with Athlon 64 system, it is a bit scary. BTW, I just use the SATA disc in my other 865 system and NO NOTHING at all.The Athlon 64, I use the IDE disc.
But later, when I download the driver form Gigabyte website, it is conformed that to install XP with that mobo, you need Floppy disc, which I guess I would not buy.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Crashman sells em about $5 U.S. per floppy drive. I got 5 from him.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

pat

Expert
[attitude check]Is your board using a native SATA controller or an onboard SATA controller??? Using the native SATA controller on nforce3 or VIA newer board is as easy as Intel one..Using onboard SATA controller is a bit more tricky as they are just like an add-in card on the PCI bus. Except that they are onboard instead on an add-in card. So read your [attitude check] fine[/attitude check] manual to see what kind of controller you have or if there is some trick in your BIOS to activate SATA..[/attitude check]

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I am very new to SATA. It is my first disc. I do not know much about native or on board controller. You can check that from the model name. BTW, in fact, my 865 system recognise my 160 GB as 130 GB or somthing. So not exactly correct.