a question

I have cable internet and wish to upgrade
to wireless-what do I need to get?

thanx
2 answers Last reply
More about question

    If you have a router that connects to the cable modem, then you need an
    Access Point that will connect to one of the ports on the router plus you
    will need either a laprop with built in wireless, or a PMCIA wireless card,
    or if its for a destop PC, a PCI wireless adapter.

    If you dont have a router, then you could buy a Wireless router that will
    connect to the cable modem.. an example would be a Linksys WRT45g.

    You could use a switch or a hub instead of a router, but then you have to
    manually configure IP addresses,
    plus most routers have firewall protection.

    "hamonga" <huey@huey.com> wrote in message
    > I have cable internet and wish to upgrade
    > to wireless-what do I need to get?
    >
    > thanx

    You need 1) A wireless access point which you will connect via Ethernet
    cable to your cable modem (instead of your PC's Ethernet cable). If you get
    an access point with integral 4-port Ethernet switch, you can still connect
    PCs via Ethernet cables.
    2) you need a card for your PC or laptop.

    Suggest you go with 802.11g devices, which have come down in price. In
    today's Sunday newspaper, CompUSA list a Belkin Access Point for $25 and PC
    cards for $20.

    Check out pricing at local stores such as BestBuy and similar as well as web
    based retailers. Prices do vary. Also consider other widely used brands
    such as Linksys and D-Link, among others.

    The G devices allow a maximum of 54 Mbps. In practice the throughput is
    much lower. However, with cable modems maxing at about 4 Mbps, you will
    likely have more than enough wireless bandwidth except at the far range of
    the AP.

    Do some reading on where to place the Access Point. That can make a
    difference in the range you achieve.

    --
    Bob Alston

    bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
    "hamonga" <huey@huey.com> wrote in message
    >I have cable internet and wish to upgrade
    > to wireless-what do I need to get?
    >
    > thanx

    ---

Wireless Cable Internet Wireless Networking