a question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
October 25, 2004 12:57:12 AM

I have cable internet and wish to upgrade
to wireless-what do I need to get?

thanx

More about : question

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 25, 2004 12:57:13 AM

If you have a router that connects to the cable modem, then you need an
Access Point that will connect to one of the ports on the router plus you
will need either a laprop with built in wireless, or a PMCIA wireless card,
or if its for a destop PC, a PCI wireless adapter.

If you dont have a router, then you could buy a Wireless router that will
connect to the cable modem.. an example would be a Linksys WRT45g.

You could use a switch or a hub instead of a router, but then you have to
manually configure IP addresses,
plus most routers have firewall protection.

"hamonga" <huey@huey.com> wrote in message
> I have cable internet and wish to upgrade
> to wireless-what do I need to get?
>
> thanx

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 25, 2004 12:57:13 AM

You need 1) A wireless access point which you will connect via Ethernet
cable to your cable modem (instead of your PC's Ethernet cable). If you get
an access point with integral 4-port Ethernet switch, you can still connect
PCs via Ethernet cables.
2) you need a card for your PC or laptop.

Suggest you go with 802.11g devices, which have come down in price. In
today's Sunday newspaper, CompUSA list a Belkin Access Point for $25 and PC
cards for $20.

Check out pricing at local stores such as BestBuy and similar as well as web
based retailers. Prices do vary. Also consider other widely used brands
such as Linksys and D-Link, among others.

The G devices allow a maximum of 54 Mbps. In practice the throughput is
much lower. However, with cable modems maxing at about 4 Mbps, you will
likely have more than enough wireless bandwidth except at the far range of
the AP.

Do some reading on where to place the Access Point. That can make a
difference in the range you achieve.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"hamonga" <huey@huey.com> wrote in message
>I have cable internet and wish to upgrade
> to wireless-what do I need to get?
>
> thanx

---