Remeber When That Was State Of the Art?

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I just started playing FFVII on my computer yesterday and I checked my gpu's temp. It was running as if it was on idle. Running the same program on my grandma's AMD 7000, it was really hot.
Its amazing how much technology has changed in so little time. I guess what I'm saying is, when will our current state of the art games be memorbilia?

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Technology seems to be slowing down...especially in the graphical department. This can be blamed purely on consoles and piracy.

Games are designed for console, and ported to PC. They add some AA and AF to match current GPU's, and maybe if we're lucky, some higher res textures and higher artifact count. And while we get new cards every year, the leap is only in line with consoles really...we get more frames and some extra crap that supposedly changes the entire look of a game...but you really can barely notice. I expect the current generation of PC gaming hardware/software to go out when the next generation consoles come out...but thats just me :p

ulysses35

Distinguished
You cant blame console ports for the decline in technology and games.

PC's have the biggest issues themselves

1) PC games are much easier to pirate - making the potential loss of a popular game that every tom dick or harry can get from bit torrent

2 PC games have toe be coded for a wide variety of specs (CPU / GPU) where as a console will run the game the same as the next console.

3) Console users have the benefit of chucking a disc in their respective machines and it working how the coders intended it to.

How many times have you bought a game and its not played as smoothly or with as much detail as you expected ?

Im not for one minute saying that console games are better, just the whole game playing experience is much easier to get into

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Private Message lol

@Ulysses35 - I wasn't saying that consoles are only to blame, but piracy in extension of that. Console conveniance, and the fact that piracy is a lot more difficult on the PS3 and XBOX means developers make games for them to get money. Which is what the majority of the industry wants.

In designing games for consoles, graphics are not pushed to the latest PC hardware limits, and therefore, the detail in games slows down to that of the console.

I am saying, that if all developers adopted anti-piracy conventions such as ubisofts required constant net connection, we would see a lot more PC exclusive games, as users would be forced to buy these good games, and developers would be fighting a lot harder for our money. This would mean better coding and the full potential of PC hardware being exploited.

Everyone bitches and moans about anti-piracy...but why?!
Is it a violation of your rights? No.
Do you just want an easier hack to get your game for free? Yes.

Piracy is destroying the PC gaming industry, and more difficult anti-piracy conventions are the only thing that is going to save it.

While i realise it's not as easy as that, as not all users are able to maintain a reliable internet connection, other methods, including tracking (if necessary) of gamers using pirated games and, therefore, having fines issued and publicised as a deterent for everyone else.

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@hooray4boobies - people complain about DRM because it does nothing to stop pirates, it only hurts legitimate players. I have yet to see a DRM method that was not cracked, even ubisofts ridiculous constant connection scheme.

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
@jefe323 Most developers realise that anti-piracy software will not stop hackers...but merely delay them.

I realise that "legitimate" players without internet connections, such as those that travel to the MEAO, myself being one of those, lose out.

But if not DRM, then what? They might as well just hand out the game for free.

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
One of the PC vendors (I forget who but I think the guys who made Sins of a Solar Empire, Stardock maybe) stated they will not include DRM because they feel if you purchase a game you shouldn't be punished and the pirates would get through it anyway. That said they still managed to sell millions of units.

I wouldn't so much mind the constant internet connection if things like having an Anti-Virus software and other background apps didn't effect gameplay but I like having the very minimum of background apps running when gaming so it is a real PITA to leave an internet connection active while gaming (It's one thing while playing a MMO or similar but when playing a single player game they need to think of something else) and then they also need to improve their authentication servers so that on launch of a new game it is 100% AVAILABLE - If your going to insist that all users maintain an active connection to the server then pay the cost and have a server that can handle every copy of the game that you sell at one time !!