Never used any sort of anti static gear while working on my computers, although I have a pretty penny in parts for mynew computer, so I don't want to mess it up. Do you guys ever use anything whenever putting your computers together? Is there anyway I can rig something up to use?
Well, that would make me an idiot then. I fried a mobo or at least part of it with static electricty before. Learned the hard way.
The wrist strap is what you need, but when you dont have one around you can simply touch the inside part of the case, as long as its the metal part, and then you can work on it. The only problem is that it doesnt take much moving around on carpet to build up agian so you need to constantly touch the inside of the case.
To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:
Do as wusy suggested, until just before you connect the psu to the mobo. Then just turn the switch off.
Actually having the switch off the whole time is fine, but that way you might miss out on the fireworks, if you plug the mobo in with the switch still on.
Look I'm no computer guru but I can tell you about static elect., Discharge yourself (I would use a natural ground ie. water pipe home elect ground etc.) avoid clothing that creates static, remove all metal from pockets, be sure that you prevent paths to ground while working on electrical components, for example isolate the system from conducting to ground (Remove the darn plug wussy)if you are suspended in mid air and the components are in mid air the static electricity can't go anywhere (providing you don't build up a zillion volts that can jump a dielectric of the distance of air between you and the nearest ground).
Winter time dry air along with sweaters and other winter type garments plus indoor environment (carpet and furniture fabrics) can cause the destructive static buildup necessary to zap costly components.
If you buy a discharge wristband, be sure to attach it to a good conductive ground. For safety reasons, if you are going to create a good ground point to yourself BE SURE THAT ANYTHING THAT YOU ARE WORKING IS DISCONNECTED FROM ANY POWER SOURCE AND THAT ALL COMPONENTS ARE FULLY DISCHARGED!
!#&$ <font color=blue> </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>
If you are worried turn all the pc off at the wall and the psu but levea it pluged in. This way it should use the ground wiring in the cable and earth through your house. Well i know that this will work here in OZ but im not sure how US power is set up.
That makes it alot safer, but there is the outside possibility of carrying the charge from another room. Its this simple, When you build up a charge and shake someones hand then you feel the shock. At this point you are electrostatically discharged. Same thing as when you open a metal car door and it shocks you. After the shock, you are no longer carrying the charge until you build another one up. To discharge yourself and not hurt the computer all you have to do is touch the metal frame on the inside of your case. This will ensure that you dont shock the system. Remember that the MOBO isnt grounded to the case so by you touching the metal part of the case, then you dont harm any of the electrical parts of the system. Unplug the machine though. Theres no reason that you should ever take a chance working on your system while it is plugged in. For saftey reasons if no other. Alot of people dont think that a 110 electical socket will reaaly hurt you, but thats not true at all. Most of time, a 110 will briefly shock you and it is certainly unpleasent, but not usually life threatning. On the flip side, 110 volts is more than enough in the correct situsation to change your heartbeat or stop it all together. This I am certain of. I have worked on and off over the years as a first responder. I have hit quite a few people with the paddles in my time. When you see the effects that different levels of shock have on a persons heartbeat it changes the way you look at that little 110 socket. Ill tell you something else that most people would argue me to the grave on. a 220 socket as bad of a hit that it is capable to pop you with, will usually immediately knock you right off of it. Now it does hurt and im not saying that I would ever want to go through that pain again, but its the point that I am trying to make here. 110 sometimes will not let go as quickly and easily as 220 will.
To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:
I just leave the PSU plugged in, but switched off at the wall.
Ground is still connected with the switch off, and that way you'll be continually discharging yourself on the case without thinking about it anyway - Ever tried to do a hardware upgrade <i>without</i> touching the case at all? Would be next to impossible.
I've never statically killed anything, and I've built/upgraded dozens of computers now, and barely a week goes by without me opening my PC for some reason or other....
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen
I built my new PC at the weekend and for the first time my teenage son was interested in helping.
He was alright wearing a static wrist band clipped on to a radiator, but he found it all a bit too strange when I told him that we should take our socks off!
I nearly bought an anti-static mat that was on special offer, but that would have involved going to the shop and buying it (am traumatised just thinking about it) and who cares about static damage that's only going to be realised in about 6 months time? Hang on - I will 'cos it's my PC!
static electricity is discharged from your body when you touch metallic parts. That being said, even if you have the psu plugged into the wall to have good ground wont help if you have a lot of statics in your body. The electricity will probably just jump to the sensitive circuit if you happen to touch them before touching any metallic parts. When you open the case, you already grounded yourself because you already touched the case and the panel and keeping a hand touching the case while working in (if you can) will help to minimize the risk. I always try to keep a hand touching the case while verifying connectors, wire,.. If I have to remove one component and need my two hand then I touch the case with one, then touch the part I have to remove with the other then remove my hand from the case and remove my part. Be sure to drop it on non conductive surface because, on extreme case, static can build up very fast and touching something conductive with the parts will have the electricity to jump from you to the part to the conductive surface, which will be bad. Same thing when you have to pick up a part to put in the case. Ground yourself, pickup the part, ground yourself again before removing your hand from the part.
Static is not really electricity. It is a phenomen that happen when the protons and electrons are not in equal number. When you rub your hand to some surfaces, such as rubbers, or walk on carpet, you are loosing protons and you end up being charged with more electrons than protons. touching something conductive just balance back the thing.
-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!