Should I switch to a Trio600

Last response: in Network Providers
August 22, 2004 10:30:56 AM

I just bought a Motorola V710 and love it. I was out to dinner two days ago
with a business associate and he pulled out a PalmOne Treo 600. I currently
carry a notebook computer, a Pocket PC, and also a cell phone when I travel
on a business trip.

I tried his phone both for the Palm features and also for the phone features
and I think I love the Treo. I still have two days left on the Verizon
trial period. I am really thinking of returning the Motorola phone and
buying the PalmOne Treo 600. I know the Treo is more expensive but that is
not a concern.

I think with a Treo, I could eliminate the computer, the Pocket PC, and just
carry the one "phone" with all the features. I would really appreciate any
response, either positive or negative so that I could make a quick but
informed decision, i.e. sound quality, battery life, palm features, included
PalmOne software, missing features, voice dial, etc.

Bruce D. Brown

More about : switch trio600

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:50:04 PM

One question. If you rely heavily on the pocket pc (or Palm) What do your do
when the phone inevitably goes down and needs to go in?
Larry
"Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a Motorola V710 and love it. I was out to dinner two days
ago
> with a business associate and he pulled out a PalmOne Treo 600. I
currently
> carry a notebook computer, a Pocket PC, and also a cell phone when I
travel
> on a business trip.
>
> I tried his phone both for the Palm features and also for the phone
features
> and I think I love the Treo. I still have two days left on the Verizon
> trial period. I am really thinking of returning the Motorola phone and
> buying the PalmOne Treo 600. I know the Treo is more expensive but that
is
> not a concern.
>
> I think with a Treo, I could eliminate the computer, the Pocket PC, and
just
> carry the one "phone" with all the features. I would really appreciate
any
> response, either positive or negative so that I could make a quick but
> informed decision, i.e. sound quality, battery life, palm features,
included
> PalmOne software, missing features, voice dial, etc.
>
> Bruce D. Brown

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:50:05 PM

For me, that was simple. I used to have a smartphone (Combined PDA and
Cellphone), it died, went in for repair (4 times before it was actually
fixed, and took months to finally return). The whole experience made me get
a PDA (Compaq iPAQ 4350 with built in WiFi and Bluetooth), a cellphone, and
a cable to tie the two together when desired.

Just a suggestion, I got some of those self-stick velcro strips and put them
on the back of the PDA, the phone, the dash (of my car), inside my
breifcase, on the walls at work and home, basically anywhere I could use it,
or put it and have it near an AC socket to charge, or at least be in a known
place so I wouldn't lose it.

If you are unsure, I would highly recommend going to a Verizon store and
actually putting a smartphone to your ear and making a call. In my case, the
sound was so bad and my head was so big (mike and speaker didn't match my
head) it was a royal pain to use.

Just a caveat on the whole thing, I have both a WiFi network at work, and
now (for less than $90 at home), both which work insanely fast compared to
cell speeds. I mainly use the tether for getting last minute things I
forgot. When using the phone as a phone, it's sort of nice to be able to
hold/change/read the PDA while talking.

After the fact, I also found out that the New every Two program only applies
about $100 every two years towards a device sold by verizon for about $600.
You can get a similar non-verizon device/cable/all sorts of neat
accesories/toys/etc for much much less. Made me wonder, what do you do after
2 years? throw out a $600 device so you can get another one for $500?

"jdoe" <jdoe@msn.com> wrote in message news:wT_Vc.66914$TI1.311@attbi_s52...
> One question. If you rely heavily on the pocket pc (or Palm) What do your
do
> when the phone inevitably goes down and needs to go in?
> Larry
> "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I just bought a Motorola V710 and love it. I was out to dinner two days
> ago
> > with a business associate and he pulled out a PalmOne Treo 600. I
> currently
> > carry a notebook computer, a Pocket PC, and also a cell phone when I
> travel
> > on a business trip.
> >
> > I tried his phone both for the Palm features and also for the phone
> features
> > and I think I love the Treo. I still have two days left on the Verizon
> > trial period. I am really thinking of returning the Motorola phone and
> > buying the PalmOne Treo 600. I know the Treo is more expensive but that
> is
> > not a concern.
> >
> > I think with a Treo, I could eliminate the computer, the Pocket PC, and
> just
> > carry the one "phone" with all the features. I would really appreciate
> any
> > response, either positive or negative so that I could make a quick but
> > informed decision, i.e. sound quality, battery life, palm features,
> included
> > PalmOne software, missing features, voice dial, etc.
> >
> > Bruce D. Brown

August 22, 2004 3:53:22 PM

Begin Bruce D. Brown quote:

; I think with a Treo, I could eliminate the computer, the Pocket PC, and just
; carry the one "phone" with all the features. I would really appreciate any
; response, either positive or negative so that I could make a quick but
; informed decision, i.e. sound quality, battery life, palm features, included
; PalmOne software, missing features, voice dial, etc.

As much as I prefer Palm over PPC, I'd say that if you like the PPC,
then the Treo is not for you, you'd be better off with a PPC or
"Microsoft Smartphone" based unit. www.pdaphohehome.com is one place
to find out about the different smartphones.

As I said, I prefer Palm, and have a Kyocera 7135.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"The election is a necessity. We cannot have a free government without
elections; and if the rebellion could force us to forgo, or postpone, a
national election, it might fairly claim to have already conquered us."
- Abraham Lincoln, on refusing to cancel the 1864 election during the
Civil War despite predictions he'd loose.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 4:53:38 PM

I just dumped an i600 for a Treo 600 and am very satisfied.

"Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a Motorola V710 and love it. I was out to dinner two days
ago
> with a business associate and he pulled out a PalmOne Treo 600. I
currently
> carry a notebook computer, a Pocket PC, and also a cell phone when I
travel
> on a business trip.
>
> I tried his phone both for the Palm features and also for the phone
features
> and I think I love the Treo. I still have two days left on the Verizon
> trial period. I am really thinking of returning the Motorola phone and
> buying the PalmOne Treo 600. I know the Treo is more expensive but that
is
> not a concern.
>
> I think with a Treo, I could eliminate the computer, the Pocket PC, and
just
> carry the one "phone" with all the features. I would really appreciate
any
> response, either positive or negative so that I could make a quick but
> informed decision, i.e. sound quality, battery life, palm features,
included
> PalmOne software, missing features, voice dial, etc.
>
> Bruce D. Brown

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 7:03:50 PM

jdoe

I will rely heavily on my Palm but I am anal about keeping the same
information on my notebook so that if either ever went down, I would not
have lost everything.

Bruce

"jdoe" <jdoe@msn.com> wrote in message news:wT_Vc.66914$TI1.311@attbi_s52...
> One question. If you rely heavily on the pocket pc (or Palm) What do your
> do
> when the phone inevitably goes down and needs to go in?
> Larry
> "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I just bought a Motorola V710 and love it. I was out to dinner two days
> ago
>> with a business associate and he pulled out a PalmOne Treo 600. I
> currently
>> carry a notebook computer, a Pocket PC, and also a cell phone when I
> travel
>> on a business trip.
>>
>> I tried his phone both for the Palm features and also for the phone
> features
>> and I think I love the Treo. I still have two days left on the Verizon
>> trial period. I am really thinking of returning the Motorola phone and
>> buying the PalmOne Treo 600. I know the Treo is more expensive but that
> is
>> not a concern.
>>
>> I think with a Treo, I could eliminate the computer, the Pocket PC, and
> just
>> carry the one "phone" with all the features. I would really appreciate
> any
>> response, either positive or negative so that I could make a quick but
>> informed decision, i.e. sound quality, battery life, palm features,
> included
>> PalmOne software, missing features, voice dial, etc.
>>
>> Bruce D. Brown

August 23, 2004 3:09:19 AM

Peter Pan your in tinkerbell land. The $100 new every two applies to any
price phone.
Buy $100.00 phone, get it free.

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
Verizon
> > > trial period. I am really thinking of returning the Motorola phone
and
> > > buying the PalmOne Treo 600. I know the Treo is more expensive but
that
> > is
> > > not a concern.
> > >
> > > I think with a Treo, I could eliminate the computer, the Pocket PC,
and
> > just
> > > carry the one "phone" with all the features. I would really
appreciate
> > any
> > > response, either positive or negative so that I could make a quick but
> > > informed decision, i.e. sound quality, battery life, palm features,
> > included
> > > PalmOne software, missing features, voice dial, etc.

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:46:00 AM

Sorry, you are so wrong. It is a $100 *credit* towards a new phone (if the
retail price is $100 or less), not a new phone no matter what price. From
the website it specifically says "Get a free phone (up to $100) every two
years. You're automatically enrolled when you sign up and maintain two years
of service on a select digital calling plan with monthly access of $34.99 or
higher. At the end of the two years, renew your service for another two
years and you will qualify for a new digital phone up to a $100 value! Or
you can receive a $100 credit toward the purchase of a new phone. Either
way, you'll be sure to have the latest wireless technology."

If your argument is about the price of the Treo itself, the retail price
depends on the zip code. Depending on the OPs zip code (the price on the
website is based on your zip code), using my zip code, It is $599, but by
sisters is $449, and my brothers it is $549. Since I have no idea what his
zip is, I went with the worst case price.

To make matters worse, they use the normal price for a phone and NE2, rather
than a special sale price. For Instance, a normally $149 phone, on sale for
$99, with the NE2, still costs $49, since they use the normal rather than
sale price.

"Brad" <me@here.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
> > cell speeds. I mainly use the tether for getting last minute things I
> > forgot. When using the phone as a phone, it's sort of nice to be able to
> > hold/change/read the PDA while talking.
> >
> > After the fact, I also found out that the New every Two program only
> applies
> > about $100 every two years towards a device sold by verizon for about
> $600.
> > You can get a similar non-verizon device/cable/all sorts of neat
> > accesories/toys/etc for much much less. Made me wonder, what do you do
> after
> > 2 years? throw out a $600 device so you can get another one for $500?
> >

> > "jdoe" <jdoe@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > One question. If you rely heavily on the pocket pc (or Palm) What do
> your
> > do
> > > when the phone inevitably goes down and needs to go in?

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:23:24 PM

In article <2otsmqFdr1i5U1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:

> To make matters worse, they use the normal price for a phone and NE2, rather
> than a special sale price. For Instance, a normally $149 phone, on sale for
> $99, with the NE2, still costs $49, since they use the normal rather than
> sale price.

That's not entirely true. I just used my NE2 and got 2 Samsung a670s
for "free." I need to wait for the $70 rebate on each phone, but then
the 2 phones will be "free" except for the tax.

The current sale is 2 a670s for $99. Everyone, whether you use NE2 or
buy a new plan has to send in the rebate form and wait for the 70 buck
back.

--
"The truth lies somewhere between Ragnar and WFI"
~RT

"RT" <RTMD24nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <2otsmqFdr1i5U1@uni-berlin.de>,
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > To make matters worse, they use the normal price for a phone and NE2,
rather
> > than a special sale price. For Instance, a normally $149 phone, on sale
for
> > $99, with the NE2, still costs $49, since they use the normal rather
than
> > sale price.
>
> That's not entirely true. I just used my NE2 and got 2 Samsung a670s
> for "free." I need to wait for the $70 rebate on each phone, but then
> the 2 phones will be "free" except for the tax.
>
> The current sale is 2 a670s for $99. Everyone, whether you use NE2 or
> buy a new plan has to send in the rebate form and wait for the 70 buck
> back.
>
> --
> "The truth lies somewhere between Ragnar and WFI"
> ~RT

Unfortunately, those rebates are from the manufacturer rather than the
service provider. you didn't get them immediately at purchase time, you have
to wait for the manufacturer to send em to you. If it was truley free with
immediate savings, you would have walked out with two phones and paid
absolutely nothing. Bottom line, you already paid the money (full retail
price with no rebates) to verizon, and are waiting for a refund from the
manufacturer.

In my case, I do computer consulting and have been traveling for the last 6
years, have auto-pay on the account, and have no local fixed address for
rebate checks to come to (nor local bank to deposit them in). They have to
go to my home in FL, and then get forwarded to wherever I currently am (Was
Alaska, now currently Las Vegas, they went live with the EVDO thing here,
time for something new again!), and sometimes take 2 to 3 months before I
get the rebates, and when I do finally get them, I have to mail them back to
my bank in Florida! I tend to look at out the door prices, not what it will
be sometime in the future.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:27:00 AM

Begin Peter Pan quote:

; Sorry, you are so wrong. It is a $100 *credit* towards a new phone (if the
; retail price is $100 or less), not a new phone no matter what price. From
; the website it specifically says "Get a free phone (up to $100) every two
; years. You're automatically enrolled when you sign up and maintain two years

It's a $100 credit towards a new phone, regardless of the price. If
the phone is $100 or less, the credit covers the cost. If you opt for
a $500 phone, the "new every two" credit drops your price to $400.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I have known war as few men now living know it. Its very
destructiveness on both friend and foe has rendered it useless as a
means of settling international disputes." - General Douglas MacArthur
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 8:08:39 AM

Your 670 example might give someone the wrong impression, since your deal
was a Buy One, Get One for FREE. The Free begs a comment, since depending
on who you talk to, the 2nd phone is FREE after a mail in rebate, which I
believe is false and misleading. No where does it say the 2nd FREE phone,
is only free after a mail in rebate. This is therefore my rub:
$169.99 for the first A670 (although now $199.99 in the midwest) less $100
NE2, less $70 rebate = FREE
The 2nd phone should be a BOGO, and should be just that FREE (and no rebate
applies)

But 1/2 of the customer service people give you the 2nd phone for FREE (like
the web says, like the marketing program says, like the ad's say), and the
other half give you the 2nd phone for the rebate of $70, therefore requiring
you to process the rebate to get your money back.

The net: get the best price you can; those two A670's should have been FREE
if you had a NE2 credit, and if not, then your $100 is accurate. If someone
offers you the 2nd phone FREE, then insist you get it for free...(meeting
the contract terms of course). and hold firm that the web/newspaper/etc say
nothing about FREE after a rebate. Or if so, "show me". dr

!