Help! mobo and PSU question!

zioburosky

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2004
I just ordered ASUS A8N-SLI mobo and found out that it's using the new ATX 12V 2.0 compliant which use 24pin connector. Currently, I'm using ICute ATX-450W/P4 PSU with 20 pin connector.
Does this mean I need to get a new PSU too for it? or ASUS does provide somekind of converter? If so, my PSU doesn't have a +12V connector(4 small 'head 'which is require for the mobo) and how does a 20 pin connector fit into a 24 pin connector on the mobo?

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
I don't think ASUS provides the converter but yes there is a converter.

Check out a neighborhood computer store?

I've seen it in reviews. It's something like a splitter or in this case a joiner. They are provided by many of the better recent PSU's.

Takes ur 20pin and 4pin and makes a 24 pin.

The loving are the daring!

endyen

Splendid
You can buy adaptors for bothe of your problems. The last place I saw them, they were $20 each. To spend $40 to make an old psu usable seems like a waste to me.I generaly put a new psu in a new build. Psus fail far to often to make saving one a priorety

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
20-pin connector fits fine. It's offset to one side. That configuration works with most Asus boards. Since the pins are shaped a bit differently, it only fits one way-the right way.

I find it hard to believe you have a 450W power supply without the 4-pin ATX12v connector. That connector came out over 4 years ago, long before most 450W power supplies were on the market.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

The main ICute website states that even the 380/420W PSUs have two small 4-pin connectors. I don't know why they wouldn't support them on the 450W PSU. What is your specific model number?

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones