Gta iv problem need help

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 4, 2010 12:48:36 PM

hi everyone

i bought a new PC for gaming and i played a lots of games and it runs perfectly expect a one game (till now :o  )

well the game is gta iv i cant get a nice performance even when i put every video setting to low at 1366x768 res

i know its not my specs cuz its more than inf to run the game as far as i know

my specs are:

CPU : amd athlon ii x4 630 2.8

gpu: ati hd 5770 1gb msi

ram: 4gb

system: windows 7 64 ultimate

so what do you think guys??

cuz im realy confused :pt1cable: 

More about : gta problem

August 4, 2010 2:26:42 PM

Nothing wrong with your rig. Its just the game....GTA IV is heavily CPU intensive. Even the most high end rig's have problems getting high performance.

Things that you CAN try:

1. Make sure no heavy applications are running in the background
2. Try turning off any antivirus programmes, even if that means disconnecting from the internet (in case you have a cable connection)
3. Try turning down the settings of the game a bit lower

Apart from this, don't really think there's much you can do.....unless you wanna upgrade your CPU/ GPU/ Monitor/ Ram/ etc, which would be quite silly just for one game, imho! :p 
August 4, 2010 2:48:52 PM

My only advice is to play it on a PS3 or Xbox 360.
Related resources
August 4, 2010 2:59:29 PM

.....IF he already has either consoles! If he doesn't, then no point spending so much when he can spend the same on upping his rig (which wouldn't take much cash!) :) 
August 5, 2010 5:09:29 PM

Okay. Even when my system is NOT overclocked and running on 4 cores, GTA IV runs pretty darn well on my system. I can get about a 35-40 fps average. Overclocked, I get around 40-45 fps.

Granted, I have a Phenom and that extra L3 cache might be a boost, but I would guess that your CPU coupled with a 5770 (I have a 5750) should definitely allow you to play it fairly well.

Have you applied the latest patch to GTA IV? It definitely helps improve the performance and gives you a finer control over the details.

One thing that REALLY kills the performance is the view distance. Do NOT max this out. I have mine set around 30 to 35 which will give you a view distance that surpasses what the console versions can do.

Definitely get the latest patch. If you got your's through Steam like me, I don't think it downloads the patch. I went and obtained it from the GTA website and applied the patch that way. Not sure why Steam isn't downloading the latest patch, but once I applied this patch, it definitely made a difference for the better.
August 6, 2010 10:04:29 PM

thanks for the reply guys and i i tryed all the ways u mentioned but no improvements well my frind told me that the game doesnt use more than 2 cores so a dual core cpu at 3.0 will do better than mine even when its a x4 cpu so what i got from him is gettin a phenom ii x4 965 3.4 is gonna fix this problem cuz my gpu is fine i saw people play on youtube usin my gpu at gta it runs good so what u guys think should i replace my cpu???
August 7, 2010 2:18:31 AM

@the op....

Ive put this so many times its actually gettng annoying - but - the pc version of the game is absolute crap unless you put in the command line text file with the norenderlimit switch in,....

Just google for gta4 command line options and all the info u need will be there,,,,

seriously the game went from borderline playable to fully smooth with all options flat out barring shadows at 1680x1050 ona hd3870.....and a 3.6ghz c2d.

Just do this simple mod and the game will be a LOT better..
August 7, 2010 11:23:26 AM

or apply the latest patches 1.6 or 1.7..........
August 11, 2010 8:38:02 AM

well i havent tryed to patch 1.6 or 1.7

so im doin it today and will post my results

August 13, 2010 3:30:42 PM

The 1.7 patch has worked for majority of the people, so yes....it should make a difference. Let us know.
August 13, 2010 4:08:05 PM

You can try DOWNLOAD { Game Booster } its free !! set GTA IV PRIority Higher than usual { by pushing Ctrl + Alt+Delete & go in TAB 2 } ... Defragment your Disk .... if nothings changed !!! take your game back to shopkeepr & buy GOOD one ...Have you tried install it Again ..or try it on another PC ? TRY it too !!! i wish you have no more problem
August 13, 2010 4:10:14 PM

patches wont help you ... Game has basic problem .... JUST TRY diffrente GTA IV disk
August 16, 2010 11:06:38 PM

i tryed the patches it didnt do any good or bad

but im workin on the commands now and will see what i get
August 18, 2010 8:40:25 PM

well i tried the commands but all im seeing is that i can edit the game from a txt folder not from the options so whats the diffrence and what commands does improve the performance cuz im hearin of ppl play with a pentium 4 cpu with that commands thing so if someone could explain what to write in the commandline txt file and what would be best setting for my specs i want 50-60 so plz someone help me
August 19, 2010 12:17:42 AM

hi again - as I remember you put a txt file in the game dir called

commandline.txt

then edit that txt file and you add :-

-norestrictions

literally just that exactly and then kick the game up and just run it from the last save and see the boost u get.....

every single dual core pc or above (game wont run well at all on single core cpu) with even a lowly x1950pro has seen a 30-40% boost in performance and as anyone knows with gta4 the sliders mean nothing except shadows - dont set that one above 2/3 but frankly unless you have 2gb or less then the rest can be maxed out in my experience.

Ive posted this lots on here there really should be a sticky of the info as its a serious improvement for ANY pc running this game.

just a side mention you could try adding a couple more options which are :-

-frameLimit=60
-novblank

as these have helped on some systems too.
August 19, 2010 12:27:12 AM

oh and to add my system is only a 3.6ghz dual core wolfdale with 4gb ram and a hd3870 512mb which was really only just playable before this mod at the same res you mentioned in the op, now it runs flat out except shadows for me with only the norestrictions switch at 1650x1080 (monitor res)...
August 28, 2010 9:52:08 AM

hi guys

does gta iv episodes from liberty city

support 4 cores cpu

cuz gta iv doesnt support that but only 2 core cpus like dual core and core 2 duo...

and i have a 4 core cpu and runs like 30-40 fps so would gta iv episodes from liberty city have better fps ???

my gpu is hd 5770 1gb hawk

cpu athlon x4 630 2.8

ram 4gb
August 28, 2010 10:30:09 AM

Yeap, it uses all four cores and to the most.!

Normally gta iv episodes from liberty city will get you lower fps than gta iv, because of patches i presume
August 28, 2010 4:33:47 PM

what the !??

is that true

god dam it really hate rockstar

thanks for reply guys
August 29, 2010 8:03:32 PM

gelde3001 thx for reply but

i did as you said made a txt file and put it in gta folder and wrote in it as u mentioned and run the game but it made no diffrence at all

could u clear the idea a little bit more

August 30, 2010 5:23:05 PM

Quote:
Why gta4 episodes of liberty city has worser performance and visual than gta4.

Guess its still quite new, i also get more than 15 fps lower on gta episodes, same settings.
Or maybe it lacks better patches
August 30, 2010 5:26:22 PM

lol, i get like 15 fps lower in GTA episodes, its maybe due to not so good patches!
August 30, 2010 6:41:30 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Gta iv episodes from liberty city
    August 31, 2010 1:00:20 AM

well guys i got another problem in gta iv

sorry i think i really disturbed you guys

but when i run the game it doesnt look like what i see in youtube cuz i see people in youtube with my gpu playin the game and it looks like the anti aliasing is on x8 cuz thiers no aliasings

but on my pc and on same setting they use im gettin an aliasings like im doin x0 aa or even worse aliasings every were even in trees

btw im using 1366x768 and its my screens res so thats not the problem
    August 31, 2010 6:03:18 AM

Patches maybe ?
    August 31, 2010 1:03:03 PM

im usin 1.3 so im i supposed to patch to 1.7??

and would that make my performance worse???
    August 31, 2010 2:15:51 PM

latest patches may get you better performance-
    August 31, 2010 2:54:03 PM

. Having the ability to copy your game discs is all the rage, and might have something to do with the growing emulator ROM market that has revived vintage games of late. Previously reserved for your home computer, console customization is growing and it is not just for the big boys at Microsoft and Sony
    September 1, 2010 10:22:40 AM

i tried patch 1.7 improved performance fixed alot but still same aliasing problem its really bad and i hate to be the only one havin the problem

if you want me to upload a gameplay video and show u my problem please reply

and help plz
    September 1, 2010 3:43:20 PM

nightstalker_ns said:
    i tried patch 1.7 improved performance fixed alot but still same aliasing problem its really bad and i hate to be the only one havin the problem

if you want me to upload a gameplay video and show u my problem please reply

and help plz

is the anti aliasing prob annoying or making your game play experience bad ?
    September 6, 2010 2:25:41 PM

is the anti aliasing prob annoying or making your game play experience bad ?

it is annoying but not makin my gameplay experience bad

but u know being the only one with the prob is really annoying

if someone knows what to do please reply

im usin catalyst 10.8
    Anonymous
    September 7, 2010 2:30:37 PM

Hi I dont know if you already tried this.. but once put all the settings in optimum and run a bench mark and post the results.

I have a HD5650 with i5 2.3GHz and have't patched the game at all ( dint get a chance to patch.. playing offline) and for settingas just a litttle below optimum settings that is suggested, i get fairly 30 - 40 fps
    !