Mobo upgrade problem

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
I have a DELL 8100 with propietary motherboard and Power Supply (besides other parts) and DELL tells me that the mobo is NOT upgreadable...that's it!!!!!...

I wan't to know if I can turn around this computer and make it compatible will all market components. IS there a motherboard I can buy in the market (don't care if I have to change other components as well)or make an adaptation in the case to make it compatible?

Or I am stuck with this machine.

Thanks

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
No idea what shape the case is. If it's vaguely ATX-Shaped, then you could probably fairly easily add mounting posts where they're needed (if any are). Just requires some drilling :smile: .

I believe the power supply wiring is fairly easy to correct, but I'm not aware of how they've changed it so can't guide you there. The same 20 pins just reconfigured.

If you're willing to spend money, then why not just get a new case with a power supply? You won't be able to re-use the mobo, but I guess it's all old and crappy now since you want to upgrade...

What spec is the Dell? You could re-use Monitor, mouse, keyboard, but RAM/Gfx/CPU/CDROM/HDD might be too old to bother with.

I wouldn't want a nice fast A64 system with a noisy 4Gb Hard disk.... :eek:

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
This is a microATX motherboard that uses a microatx powersupply. And yes...If I do not find a compatible motherboard... I am willing to make an adaptation...making holes on the case to fit a new microatx motherboard which I can buy from New Egg and that will give me total control over what I wan't to install on that machine.

The case looks like a MicroATX case.

Yes U R right...Power Supply has to go...HDD..CPU and memory....the rest stays because I just upgraded what I can upgrade on that machine. I figure that building an alltogether new machine will be more expensive.

Thanks for the input.

pat

Expert
I would try to find a standard PSU and a standard motherboard, even if they are defective. If you can mount them in the case, even if you have some modification to do, then I would guess that you can. If you have problems to put the PSU, mobo, or even, the PCI card to get aligned with the back slots, then I wouldnt bother, unless you have the time to take some time into fitting the parts.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
I did not think about that point you just made Pat. U R right.
Ever since this is a propietary case, no motherboard I buy in the market will be compatible at all as far far as the alignment of the PCI slots and the ports...so ...the case will have to go also. Thanks for the input.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some Dimmension series computers with exactly 4 slots are Micro ATX. Those with 5 slots are completely proprietary.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>