GTA 4 not running well what to do?

Last response: in Video Games
August 4, 2010 2:31:32 PM

configuration on my pc

AMD PHENOM ii X4 940 BLACK EDITION
ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX 260
ASUS M3N78-EM MOBO
4gb ddr2 corssair RAM

having these configuration i am also having trouble to run gta 4 smoothly on my pc. is there any suggestion?

i have tried lowest mode of graphics and details too but game is not smooth its running with breakage in every detalil change.need help to make it smooth.

More about : gta running

August 4, 2010 2:51:15 PM

Not sure. The video card might be the bottle neck, but have you applied all patches to GTA IV and also ensured all your drivers are up to date?

However, you can read this article at Techspot -> http://bit.ly/agx7iR

It does state that the GTX 260 has issues running at high levels due to insufficient memory for the textures.

When you say it doesn't run smooth with breakage, what do you mean by breakage? Does the display break up? Or do you mean it's choppy?

Have you defragged your hard drive, cleaned up any temp files, etc?

August 4, 2010 2:55:37 PM

i think its not a graphic card issue because onboard nvidia 8300 also working with it BY SLI TECHNOLOGY. please suggest any cpu issue
Related resources
August 4, 2010 2:56:51 PM

Gta 4 is not optimized for pc gaming....if you have an ps3 or xbox than you can handle the game well ....this game is not stable for even higher end graphic cards.....and it's also true gtx 260 is pretty old for this game...it's better to move to another game as there are many better than gta4 or to go for a more newer and higher end card...
August 4, 2010 2:58:07 PM

sorry but i m just trying to play it smoothly with no bottleneck.
August 4, 2010 2:58:51 PM

All i can say is this the card is not bad but the game is just not meant for pc gaming
August 4, 2010 2:59:41 PM

so which card i must buy today best for all games
August 4, 2010 3:00:19 PM

Actually, I get around 40-45 fps with my system. It's pretty darn playable for me.

One thing to look at is reduce the distance to around 30. The PC version has a better distance setting than Xbox360 and PS3, but in return, it drags any recent system to it's knees. Setting it to around 30 to 35 will still give you a great view distance that rivals what is on PS3 and XB360 and shouldn't tax your system.

Given I have an ATI 5750 and an AMD X3 720 BE (with the 4th core unlocked), you should be getting the same type of frame rates that I'm getting. Also, I've disabled the 4th core and STILL got 40-45 fps average. It can still drop to around 25 fps, but even then, it's not that bad and it occurs usually when I'm in the city walking around or driving, but it still is not unplayable in the least.
August 4, 2010 3:02:15 PM

See your gtx 260 is good card you can play any game with it on higher resolution includind stalker :cop that requires atleast an ati hd5770 and an quad core processor....dump the game or otherwise go for more stable drivers ...
August 4, 2010 3:04:04 PM

I just said it's not well optimized for pc gaming...many of the users have the same problem with gta4 even when they have good graphic card..
August 4, 2010 3:09:14 PM

isamuelson said:
Actually, I get around 40-45 fps with my system. It's pretty darn playable for me.

One thing to look at is reduce the distance to around 30. The PC version has a better distance setting than Xbox360 and PS3, but in return, it drags any recent system to it's knees. Setting it to around 30 to 35 will still give you a great view distance that rivals what is on PS3 and XB360 and shouldn't tax your system.

Given I have an ATI 5750 and an AMD X3 720 BE (with the 4th core unlocked), you should be getting the same type of frame rates that I'm getting. Also, I've disabled the 4th core and STILL got 40-45 fps average. It can still drop to around 25 fps, but even then, it's not that bad and it occurs usually when I'm in the city walking around or driving, but it still is not unplayable in the least.

any overclocking help for cpu. everything is well but game is stucking in every 10m/s so thought that overclocking is the best idea.
August 4, 2010 6:15:14 PM

what dipankar2007ind says it's true....it's a crap game..
August 4, 2010 7:22:09 PM

Actually, the latest two releases (Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and The Damned) are much better. They are what the original GTA IV should have been, game-play wise as well as performance-wise.
August 4, 2010 9:01:42 PM

Ive put this in several forum posts now but you need to add the command line txt file the game dir and put in the norenderlimit (or similar) switch to take out the artificial limit on the pc game.

Just google for GTA4 Command Line options and you will find out what you need to know.

btw - I have an HD3870 with a c2d@3.8 and it ran like crap at first - added this mod and bang - perfectly playable game.

Only thing to mention is the shadows setting - slider at 2/3 max as that really kills performance.

oh and ffs turn off the sli as that WILL NOT help performance at all - just run the main card only....seriously.....think of it like hyperthreading when used with a weak 2nd gpu.
August 5, 2010 11:28:49 AM

rocky41 said:
Gta 4 is not optimized for pc gaming....if you have an ps3 or xbox than you can handle the game well ....this game is not stable for even higher end graphic cards.....and it's also true gtx 260 is pretty old for this game...it's better to move to another game as there are many better than gta4 or to go for a more newer and higher end card...

i was playing gta4 on 9400GT..... with medium settings and a Quad core......
he just need to apply patch 1.6..... :sol: 
August 5, 2010 1:12:57 PM

rohn_avni said:
i was playing gta4 on 9400GT..... with medium settings and a Quad core......
he just need to apply patch 1.6..... :sol: 

I agree. The latest patch definitely helps because it gives you access to more detail tweaks which allows you to tone down some of the other details, but I also think it has optimized the code somewhat as well.

Like I said, with BOGT and LATD, those look better and play better than the original GTAIV, so they've definitely fixed something.

August 6, 2010 5:41:16 AM

ya i agree.... but i don't have expansion's yet.... and now there is patch 1.7 for GTA IV, going to update soon......

Rohan
August 6, 2010 12:05:51 PM

rohn_avni said:
ya i agree.... but i don't have expansion's yet.... and now there is patch 1.7 for GTA IV, going to update soon......

Rohan

Another patch? Hmm, that's interesting.

As for the expansions, they are good. Also, you don't have to have GTA IV to play them as they are stand alone. I purchased them because they had a major sale during July on Steam that I couldn't pass up on getting both of them.
!