Sign in with
Your question

Need some advide/help on buying new mother board

Last response: in Motherboards
February 1, 2005 1:30:33 AM

Hello, im new to the boards and would be great to get some help from you guys. I am familier with the computer and its hardware however the mother board is a little tricky for me. I have my old stock gateway intel mother board and I wanted to upgrade from that. There are so many companys out there I don't know witch ones are good and what not. But here is what I want to do. I want to get a new mother board, AMD processor, and still keep my ram, drive, ect, in this new mother board. Now witch mother board company's should I aim for? What is the newest socket? what bus speed should I get. What new techs/upgrades should I look for in an upgrade? ect, ect. Thanks alot
February 1, 2005 1:46:10 AM

We'll need a lot more information than that. Unless it is a pentium 4 system with ddr ram, it is very unlikely you'll be reusing your ram. Also a gateway powersupply probably won't cut it, and hard drives are cheap now adays. I recommend building an ew sysemt.
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2005 4:23:51 AM

Most Gateway cases have a standard ATX port arrangement, most new boards don't. Since the backplate on these Gateways is not replaceable, that limits you to looking at pictures to determine what will fit!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
February 3, 2005 11:55:25 AM

Well here is my setup

Pentium 4 2.0 socket 478 (Witch I want to replace with an AMP)
512/2700/crucial
512/3200/ not shure got it for free
maxotr 5200 rpm 40 gig hard drive SATA
WS 7200 rpm 160 gig hard drive SATA
Jaton fx 5600 256 MP 8x AGP
avermedia tvtuner card PCI
samsung dvd burner IDE
lite on cd burner IDE

I want keep these parts just change the processor to a faster one. But since my mother board can't handle too much of a new proccessor, i was just thinking of getting a knew one and going with an AMD. I was figuring I would also get a NZXT case. Is it possible to keep all my parts i want and get a new mother board? I'm very happy with the configuration I have now.
February 4, 2005 12:58:27 AM

Do you have a User's manual for your computer/mobo? What soes it say is the max supported CPU?

What's your budget? What do you use the system for (gaming, video editing, etc.)? Are you going to want to upgrade the CPU in the near future (6-18 months)? Is the Maxtor a 7200 or 5400RPM drive? Check out your "free" RAM - try to find out the manufacturer and the specs or model number.

If you do this upgrade, you should be able to keep RAM, HDDs, video card, tv tuner, DVD and CD burners for this upgrade. If you use both of those sticks of RAM, then they will both run at the speed of the slowest module - i.e. the PC2700. It will run, but won't be as fast as the same system with two PC3200 sticks. If you have a Gateway case, then you should change the case and PSU. If you're doing this for better gaming performance, then your new performance bottleneck will more than likely be your video card.

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones
February 6, 2005 5:33:02 PM

My msin thing I wanted to do with my computer was to change to a faster CPU. I do have the manual about my mother board and it can't handle too much, so says my manual. So I just thought of just getting an AMD CPU with a better board also. I was figuring 250.00 with the case and CPU/board combo maybe 300. I mostly play games with my computer. very little video editing.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by avatarofages on 02/06/05 02:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!