enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi All.

Has anyone played Starcraft yet?

I never played Starcraft 1 because at the time, I thought Empire Earth was MUCH better than Starcraft/warcraft at the time. But I'm thinking things will be different with Starcraft 2.

For example, I didn't care for Elder Scrolls 3 much, but when Oblivion came out, that was superb!

I don't buy games often, but the ones I like I play over many times..
I hope Starcraft 2 is one of those epic games..

thanks!

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Starcraft 2 is really a superb game and as you said it will be sure a epic game...its currently at no.1 position on gamespot with a 95% rating which is really awesome to get when you have other titles in race.....
Everyone is loving this game and i am sure you will too

Konsonum

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
One of the main reasons people buy Starcraft II, and Starcraft in the past, is the user-made custom maps. Those are worth the $60 alone, because essentially, they make Starcraft II a 1000-games-in-one.

You missed out, then. Besides, for the SC2 experience to be complete, you need to be familiar with events, characters, etc from the first one.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Lol - I've been playing Starcraft 1 recently, cause I never played it before, and wanted to get up to speed before playing SC2 (which I will when the price drops).
I must say that Starcraft 1, for me, is a great game, very addictive. One map can easily take me 3 or 4 hours to complete.
So hopefully SC2 will be a modern verison of that.

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002

No offense, but you're probably going to be waiting quite a while. Blizzard / Activision still charges $40 for the SC Battlechest and it's a 10 yr old game. For the most part it takes years* before they start dropping prices on games.

*Exception being WOW since we all know they make their money on the subscruption fees...cost of game is only like 4 months so they're trying to get it into as many hands as possible.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I don't know if people will agree with me so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I'd say just get SC2 and maybe read the SC1 storyline on Wikipedia or something. I wouldn't get SC2 for the storyline. Get it for the multiplayer if that's your thing.

While SC1 had a great story, it kind of sucks in SC2. I did like some of the single player elements like unlocking a new unit every level and upgrading your units and research new tech to be used in each level. The levels seemed pretty unique too, just the story didn't make a lot of sense to me and seemed to be very simple.

Another thing about playing SC1 is you can only select 8 units at once if I remember right and there's just a lot of extra clicking when compared to SC2 or modern RTS games.

If you want to look at some high level replays with high level commentary to see what SC2 multiplayer is like go here
http://day9tv.blip.tv/posts?view=archive&nsfw=dc
click on the #150s and #160s as they are the most recent replays. Should give you a general idea about ladder and multiplayer.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
you can get the StarCraft battlechest from www.gogamer.com for $19.90. It includes SC1, BroodWar and I think a strategy guide. I saw this in their flier last week.

SC2 price drop will not happen, however when the 2nd part comes out you might get a discount if you buy both games. The 2nd one won't be out for awhile.

SC1 and Broodwar is awesome!! and when playing the SP games just remember "Show me the Money"