Big OEMs & Intel's approved Cases

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hey guys... A friend of mine recently bought a new 3.4Ghz Scotty Machine from fujitsu (Well, it was through some payment plan scheme with his work, and wasn't too bad a deal really).

The case has the hole in the side, and the HSF has a large plastic duct thingy so the CPU air gets drawn directly from outside the case. Is this all that is required to get the Intel Approval? No Casefans at all (apart from the PSU one)

I only ask because the CPU idle temp of 55C wasn't too terrible, but I noticed the System temp was 52C! I have no idea what his load temps are. These were just measured in the BIOS.

I would've assumed that a System costing nearly a grand (GBP, so not too far off US$2000), from a large(ish) OEM (fujitsu) would have an Intel Approved case - but aren't those supposed to ensure a case temp of 38C or under to get the approval?

IIRC it's a gigabyte board of some sort. Are their temp probes accurate?

I gave him a couple of 80mm Case Fans I had kicking about, but don't know what difference they've made. I'll have a look next time I'm there.

Not ranting or anything, just expressing my shock at the temps...

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

I've been reading in the community lately that the Giga boards have some cal issues for their temp sensors, but if there is no flow thru the case I wouldn't doubt those case temps.

I wonder how much money Fujitsu is saving on those case fans...

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've been reading in the community lately that the Giga boards have some cal issues for their temp sensors, but if there is no flow thru the case I wouldn't doubt those case temps.
Yeah, I thought it must be partially off, but the CPU temp doesn't sound too far off to me - Scotty 3.4 idle temp when no real thought has been put into cooling.. He gets a small amount of airflow from the PSU fan, but that's pretty minimal.

Well, I paid around £2 for the 80mm fans I gave him... So buying 10,000 of them they'll be less than £1 each, I guess.

I'll try to remember to check his temps out next time I'm there. Be interesting to see the difference.

So they've increased their profit margins by a ~£2 or so, by not including the fans... I think that's terrible, given the PC is well over £1000 to an 'average joe'.

I once used a Fujitsu PC at work and thought it was terrible. Nice to see they've changed their ways... :lol:

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

Some companies only worry about the bottom line...If they took car of their customers better, then thay're bottom line would be a lot better!

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones