Blank green screen playing DVD

A DVD video made by a business friend does not always play on my HP
Media Center m380n computer. Some of the menu items play, but some
other menu items just show a green blank screen for the duration of the
segment for that menu item.

That DVD plays all okay on a Panasonic laptop and on a Compaq laptop.

All three computers are running Windows XP, but the one that won't play
all the menu items is the HP Media Center computer that I bought about
a year ago.

I wondered if it was because my HP has a DVD+R recording drive whereas
the DVD is a DVD-R. But I used my Sony external recorder (which
records both +R and -R) to make a copy of his disk onto a DVD+R disk,
and that did not solve the problem. I still get green screens for just
some of the menu items.

When I look at what is on his disk it lists the following files in the
Video folder:
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VTS_01_0.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01.0.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB

I have no idea what these file types mean.

Why won't my HP media center computer play all parts of his disk like
my other two computers do?
4 answers Last reply
More about blank green screen playing

    Warren wrote:
    > A DVD video made by a business friend does not always play on my HP
    > Media Center m380n computer. Some of the menu items play, but some
    > other menu items just show a green blank screen for the duration of
    > the segment for that menu item.
    >
    > That DVD plays all okay on a Panasonic laptop and on a Compaq laptop.
    >
    > All three computers are running Windows XP, but the one that won't
    > play all the menu items is the HP Media Center computer that I bought
    > about a year ago.
    >
    > I wondered if it was because my HP has a DVD+R recording drive whereas
    > the DVD is a DVD-R. But I used my Sony external recorder (which
    > records both +R and -R) to make a copy of his disk onto a DVD+R disk,
    > and that did not solve the problem. I still get green screens for
    > just some of the menu items.
    >
    > When I look at what is on his disk it lists the following files in the
    > Video folder:
    > VIDEO_TS.BUP
    > VTS_01_0.BUP
    > VIDEO_TS.IFO
    > VTS_01.0.IFO
    > VIDEO_TS.VOB
    > VTS_01_0.VOB
    > VTS_01_1.VOB
    >
    > I have no idea what these file types mean.
    >
    > Why won't my HP media center computer play all parts of his disk like
    > my other two computers do?

    There is considerable variability in DVD drive compatibilities with the
    various means for constructing DVD-based presentations. I would look at
    something like Nero for the drive capabilities compared to those that
    work well, the OEM specifications for the drives, and any published
    reviews for the drives. There is an instructive review of DVD formats
    at http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=118 and a review of
    DVD drive performance at
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260

    Quaoar wrote:
    > Warren wrote:
    > > A DVD video made by a business friend does not always play on my HP
    > > Media Center m380n computer. Some of the menu items play, but some
    > > other menu items just show a green blank screen for the duration of
    > > the segment for that menu item.
    > >
    > > That DVD plays all okay on a Panasonic laptop and on a Compaq
    laptop.

    > > All three computers are running Windows XP, but the one that won't
    > > play all the menu items is the HP Media Center computer that I
    bought
    > > about a year ago.
    > >
    > > I wondered if it was because my HP has a DVD+R recording drive
    whereas
    > > the DVD is a DVD-R. But I used my Sony external recorder (which
    > > records both +R and -R) to make a copy of his disk onto a DVD+R
    disk,
    > > and that did not solve the problem. I still get green screens for
    > > just some of the menu items.
    > >
    > > When I look at what is on his disk it lists the following files in
    the
    > > Video folder:
    > > VIDEO_TS.BUP
    > > VTS_01_0.BUP
    > > VIDEO_TS.IFO
    > > VTS_01.0.IFO
    > > VIDEO_TS.VOB
    > > VTS_01_0.VOB
    > > VTS_01_1.VOB
    > >
    > > I have no idea what these file types mean.
    > >
    > > Why won't my HP media center computer play all parts of his disk
    like
    > > my other two computers do?
    >
    > There is considerable variability in DVD drive compatibilities with
    the
    > various means for constructing DVD-based presentations. I would look
    at
    > something like Nero for the drive capabilities compared to those that

    > work well, the OEM specifications for the drives, and any published
    > reviews for the drives. There is an instructive review of DVD
    formats
    > at http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=118 and a review of

    > DVD drive performance at
    > http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260

    Thanks for the source for info on file types and drives. I was glad to
    learn about that.

    I don't think it is a drive problem, however, since my external Sony
    drive gives the blank green screen problem only when connected to the
    HP media Center computer. The Sony external drive plays the disks
    perfectly when the Sony external drive is connected to my laptop that
    has XP Pro operating system (but not the media center version of XP).

    The HP Media Center computer has the blank green screen problem with
    its own built-in drives, and with any attached external drive (like the
    Sony external).

    The Sony external plays the disks properly when connected to my laptop,
    but when the Sony is connected to the HP media center computer, then a
    disk in the Sony results in the blank green screen.

    Therefore: The problem is the HP Media Center computer, not the drive.
    Is my logic correct, in your opinion?

    I found a way to play the disk content!

    I copied the files to my hard disk of the HP Media Center computer, and
    ran the program from my hard disk. That worked. No blank green
    screen on the HP when running the program from its own hard drive.
    Only when running the program on the HP from any DVD drive, built-in or
    external.

    Why would it work from my hard disk, but not from any drive? The HP
    Media Center computer would not run it from the drive (Sony) that would
    run it when that very same Sony drive was connected to a laptop.

Hewlett Packard DVD Video Computers