ASUS Qualified Vendor List (Memory)

dmsvls

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Does anybody know how critical it is to stick with ASUS' "Qualified Vendor List" for memory? I just got a A8V-E and a Corsair Value Select 1GB Dual Channel Kit (512x2). The Corsair memory is on the list, but only with type A support ("Supports one module in any slot as Single-Channel memory configuration"). The list does not indicate that dual channel is supported.

So I am wondering if I use both modules;
-Will the system be stable?
-Will it support dual channel?
-Will it support DDR400 without dual channel, or some other slower support?
-Can I tweak the settings, to make it work at full speed (dual channel ddr 400).

I am thinking about sending back the Corsair for Kingston, but don't want to pay the restocking fee (or have to wait). I still haven't installed anything yet until I finish backing up.

Thanks!

vwgeek

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
dmsvls,

Could you report back when you install your memory and let us know if it works in dual-channel or not? I'm looking at the A8V-E also, and was noticing that on the QVL there are VERY FEW 512MB (only 2 or 3) modules that support dual channel with all the slots filled. It seems odd, since their other MB QV lists qualify nearly all the listed memory for dual channel. I thought maybe the QVL had some typos, but I didn't want to assume.

dmsvls

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
I'll try to let you know what happens. I think I am finished backing up my system. Tonight I will start tranplanting hardware, but I may not finish till the weekend.

I noticed the same thing you did, to my disappointment, that there are very few 512MB modules on the list that have full support. I'm not sure if that means they are still testing them or what.

But what really bothers me is that they show that they have tested corsair memory, but only show support for one module. It implies that they had problems with dual channel.

This raises another question. How do I test the memory to be sure that it is stable? Just because I can boot it up doesn't mean it will be stable all the time.

I have not built a new system in a few years, so I'm not up to speed on the latest greatest techniques.

Thanks!

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I know that on socket A VIA chipsets had many RAM compatibility issues. The problem with compatibility lists is that they tend to be outdated and BIOS updates very often increase memory compatibility.

How much does the Kingston Value Select OC - if any? If it does, then what is the best way to get a stable OC from it?

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones

dmsvls

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Well, so far so good. I installed the new mobo, processor, RAM and Video last night. Then formated and installled XP, SP2, mobo drivers and video drivers.

The only issue I've had is that the bios says my CPU fan failed even though it appears to be running fine. Any thoughts on that one?

When I look in the bios, it says that the memory is running at 200mhz. I changed the settings from "Auto" to "DDR400", and it still says 200mhz. I think that is ok, right (DDR400=2x200mhz)? But I cannot tell how to know if it is running as dual channel. I installed the memory into slots A1 & B1. I'll investigate that one later.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, here is what I installed:
Athlon64 3000+ (retail)
A8V-E Deluxe
1GB Corsair ValueSelect (2x512)
Leadtek 6600GT TDH

Carry over hardware:
Antec Sonata Case w/ 380W Truepower
80 GB 7200 RPM Western Digital ATA
Generic DVD+-RW
Generic CD-RW

Sockets 1(A1) and 3(B1) or 2(A2) and 4(B2) should give you dual channel. 200Mhz is the correct default speed - 2x200Mhz. Are you going to flash to the most recent BIOS?

Congrats on the install!

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones

vwgeek

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Congrats! A couple thoughts on the CPU fan -- make sure it's plugged into the CPU fan header on the Mobo, and not one of the other chassis fan headers. Also, I'm not familiar with this bios, but some bioses continue to report the error until it's cleared, even after the situation has been rectified -- can you clear the error? I assume the fan is running at full speed?

Hope that helps ...

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I think I know exactly what the BIOS statement is all about. I once had the problem with an Asus mainboard which said my fan was failing if I booted up below 2000 rpm (or something near). Doesn't mean anything, just a threshold programmed into the BIOS.
Your RAM should be o.k. in dual channel if you follow mainboard instructions. But of course, I haven't read all replies.

I've just agreed I've had to much to drink and I shouldn't do it again, problem is, tomorrow I won't remember.

dmsvls

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Thought this might interest you. I just downloaded the latest BIOS and saw this in the description;

"Fixed CORSAIR VS512 DDR400 DIMM and system hang issue."

Hopefully they'll show full support for Corsair now. My last mobo was an Asus. They're pretty good on the support side.

My system has been stable so far, though I did have a hang issue with a USRobotics Modem. Had to remove it and switch to a spare cheapo Best Data modem which is working a whole lot better now than it did when I first bought it.

So far, I am pretty happy with the A8V-E. My only complaint is that the little fan on the chipset is a bit louder than I would like it to be. I really wanted this to be a quite PC. That is why I went with the Antec Sonata case, and the LeadTech version of the 6600GT.

I have tried playing with the Asus "Qfan" settings, but have not noticed a huge difference in the fan noise.

vwgeek

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Thanks for the info dmsvls, I'm still researching motherboards, but like the features of the A8V-e. I also wanted to create a quiet, but high-performance system to replace my old "jet engine" system in a server-style case. Maybe that chipset fan could be replaced with a quieter one? I'd still like to see some "official" reviews on this mobo and comparisons with other similar boards, either from this site or somewhere ...

TRENDING THREADS