how do I connect directly to a friends computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsangha

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
Ok, I need some help. I don't know if this is a dumb question but I want to know if I can connect directly to a friends computer over the internet so we can trade files. What software do I need to do this and how do I set it up. We are both in the same city but with different ISP's and I have a SMC router/firewall. Is this possible. Does one of us have to be set up as a server and the other person connect to it??? Do I need FTP software to connect directly to another persons computer? Please help.

drsangha

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
I have tried using MSM but you can only transfer one file at a time. I want to know if I can transfer multiple files or even whole folders easily. Also I can't recieve files because of my SMC router/firewall. I have been told that I need to open the ports from the configuration menu, but how do I know which ports to open. Please help. What program can I use to transfer an entire folder and all the subfolders to another computer over the internet. Additional info: We are both using Windows XP and I have a firewall. Thanks for your help

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
the best thing to do is set up an ftp server, a search will show you some software that will work.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

drsangha

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
ok, so I downloaded Bulletproof FTP server and setup a server and had my friend try to connect using an FTP client (WS_FTP) but he was unable to connect. I believe it is due to my firewall (SMC). Does anyone know specifically how to enable the ports on the SMC routers to accept connections (and which ports to enable)? Thanks for your help so far.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
You may need to allow port 20 also, and config the ftp server to use passive mode, can you connect to the ftp yourself (your LOCAL ip, not your external one)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.