Gigabyte K8NXP-9 nForce4 Ultra

Korizin

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005
I spotted my mobo comes with a "Dual Power System" card that plugs into a slot that looks like an ISA.

Is this card a good feature, what are the pros and conns of fitting it?

At the moment i have it on the motherboard but i was told that it was a gimmick. I thought i would ask here for a real answer.

Thanks.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
1) A clicky link to the mobo you are asking about would have helped.

2) I don't know how true this is, as its based on me searcing for it, and guessing that the mobo I saw advertised is the same one you are talking about, as well as basing this statement solely on the advertisement, and not on any reviews or commentaries.

It appears to be an add-on board for enhanced power regulation. There is 3-phase power on the mobo directly, or you can plug the DPS card in for 6-phase power. Assuming the same quality components on both, 6-phase is significantly better (it provides more reliable and stable voltage) than 3-phase. If you're not overclocking, 3-phase is adequate, although 6-phase is still better. If you are overclocking, I would highly consider getting the 6-phase board for stability, though it may not be necessary. It all depends on the true quality of the 3-phase system already on the board.

Mike.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Fishmahn is correct about the cards funciton.

Its a clever way of including more expensive power regulation curcuits on some of their boards without the expense of having to manufacture two different models.

If it were my board I would definately use it, but it would be the first part I pull if I had any stability problems.

If were an overclocker I would try my system to the limit with and without the card and see which works better.

PS the conns are that it could be a lemon and Gigabyte released it anyway. Thats always a risk with innovative technology.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Codesmith on 02/10/05 11:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Korizin

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005
Ah sorry for the confusion. I had already bought the board and i fitted the card, had no problems, i just wanted to know if it made a real difference. Thank you.

RichPLS

Champion
I have a Gigabyte with a DPS Gold version and basically it is a 6-phase power circuit at VRM 10.0 spec which in theory allows for a more stable power supply, but in practice does not give much of an advantage if you have a good PSU anyway.
But seriously doubt there are any dis-advantages to using it...possibly advantages...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>