Elizabeth

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
I read how important it is to update the BIOS on a motherboard.

Can you guys please educate me on the advantages of updating the BIOS?...do I have to flash the previous BIOS first or install it on top of the existing one?

My motherboard is an ASUS K8N paired to an Athlon 64 3000+
I finished to build my first computer and found that the are two new BIOS for this motherboard. One is a newer regular version and the other a BETA version (even newer one) but not supported by ASUS.

Which one?

Thanks guys

Flashing the BIOS can correct bugs or compatibility that have been discovered - this will generally increase system stability. In some cases, flashing the BIOS will even give performance increases. Would <b>not</b> recommend using the BETA Bios.

Have you read the FAQ? Looked for previous posts on this topic?

pat

Expert
or can cause problems and more instability. If the computer is working good, then dont flash it. I dont recommend flashing for flashing...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Elizabeth

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
FLASH THE BIOS?...Do I have to FLASH the BIOS?...

ASUS instruction manual indicates that the EZ BIOS FLASH consists of installation of the new BIOS following a specific procedure (crash free according to ASUS)in which the new BIOS version is installed on top of the old one and seem to be a relatively easy procedure.

I am not very familiar with this...and my impression was that FLASHING was deleting the old first in order to install the new. Maybe I am wrong.

About my new computer's performance. It is working well besides a couple of problems related to missing DLL files which I solved by using SYSTEM RESTORE.

I am still a bit aprehensive about changing the BIOS...and your input is helpulf.

endyen

Splendid
Look where they have the new bios. There will be a list of things the new bios fixes. If you need the fixes, flash the bios. If you have an ADSL or DSL network connection, using the online bios update utility is safe.

mondpowers

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
as PAT sezs curiosity kills the cat. In your case, if it works, why bother? better flash cd-rw or dvd-rw drives but not mbaoards. I've got a boss who ruins his mboard by needlessly updating his BIOS.

life stinks

Elizabeth

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
Yes...I have fast internet connection.
The Bios update from ASUS for my motherboard has two main porposes....To Patch S3 Resume (?) and to Patch CMOS setting wrong (?) I really don't know if the earlier problem I had of missing DLL files was related to that. But I fixed the problem. The computer is running well. I wonder If I have to flash the BIOS. maybe not.

I am extracting this info from ASUS website where I found the new BIOS version.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Look up the section that discusses how to save a copy of your current BIOS. The procedure that ASUS uses is very straight forward and if you follow the instructions on saving your current Bios you should be fine.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

FLASH THE BIOS?...Do I have to FLASH the BIOS?...
If you're a little shy then take the BIOS to a private room and just give it a peek... :evil:

Malik_30

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
[any one i have hp laptop i5 g3 450 probook when i install and run window 10 after loading blue screen appear and this error is written your pc ran into problem it needs restart but when i install window 7 it works perfectly Plzz HElp Mee Sorry for my english

DaiLY_

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017

Solution 1: You'll have to hold ctrl + shift , (located at the bottom of your keyboard, and click restart. Now go to Advanced > More Options > and Automatic Repair.

Solution 2: Right click on the Windows Icon on the bottom left of your screen, and click Command Prompt (Admin), and then click yes to give it permission. Once the Command Prompt opens, type " sfc /scannow " without the apostrophes. Let the verification process complete then restart your PC.

Solution 3: Resign to the 1st solution but this time go to Advanced > More Options > and Startup Options. Then when it restarts, right click the Windows Icon in the bottom left of your screen, and click Control Panel. Once the Control Panel comes up, search for "Administrative Tools: without the apostrophes. Then find "Windows Memory Diagnostic" and double click it. Once that opens click "Restart Now". And wait for the process to finish and then the problem should be resolved with any Solution if not all. Thanks for your time!
Sincerely,
Chase