Northbridge heating problem

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I am potentially facing a problem with an overheating Northbridge when I run my memory in dual-channel mode @ 2-2-2-5 timings. My motherboard only has a passive heatsink on the northbridge. Beyond getting a new case and improving overall airflow, what other simple things can be done to cool the northbridge? Could I easily find a fan to attach to the heatsink?

P4 2.8C
Asus P4P800, 1019 BIOS.
2x512MB PDP Patriot DDR400 w/ XBL @ 2-2-2-5

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Get a small fan and attach it to the NB HS. Depending on the HS itself, you may be able to just screw the fan in (lining up the screw holes over the fins and using the fins themselves to hold the fan on). Or, in many cases, find an old CPU HSF like that from a P1 or K6/2 or similar and just replace the HS on the NB.

Mike.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Alot of plain notebook CPU fans will fit onto a NB. Most of the ones that I have randomly picked up will snap right on. If you want a better stream of air then buy one of those cyclone exhaust fans that is made to fit in a pci slot. They are around $5.00 and when connected to a 4 pin plug they put out alot of air. All you have to do is snap the bracket off that normally holds the fan in place and then just simply suspend it with something like cable ties. If you are a case modding freak then go to walmart and get a bag of UV sensitive cable ties for $3.00

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can screw a 40mm fan to the northbridge using sheet metal screws of the proper length.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>