Actiontec modems

Anyone have DSL (or whatever) service with an Actiontec modem?

I'd like opinions of the Model GT701-WG wireless router dsl modem, or
even just Actiontec stuff in general.

Ed
4 answers Last reply
More about actiontec modems

    I like mine around the house. A little underpower. When I received it there
    was a problem getting to some websites such as Disney.com (MTU not 1500)
    a firmware upgrade from Qwest solved that.

    Still like the flexability of Linksys routers for work. Actiontec is pretty
    simple
    and easy for do-it-yourself installers.

    "Ed" <Huckleberry_REMOVE_@bigvalley.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone have DSL (or whatever) service with an Actiontec modem?
    >
    > I'd like opinions of the Model GT701-WG wireless router dsl modem, or
    > even just Actiontec stuff in general.
    >

    > Ed

    > I like mine around the house. A little underpower. When I received it
    > there was a problem getting to some websites such as Disney.com (MTU
    > not 1500) a firmware upgrade from Qwest solved that.
    >
    > Still like the flexability of Linksys routers for work. Actiontec is
    > pretty simple
    > and easy for do-it-yourself installers.

    I had a Linksys WRT54G wireless router running my home network. When
    I signed up for QWest DSL service, they provided the Actiontec DSL
    wireless modem and router. Though I originally intended to keep the
    Linksys in service, I pulled it and just set up my home network with the
    Actiontec. After using if for a month, I now realize it has been problem
    free, unlike my Linksys.

    Ed

    Ed wrote:
    > I had a Linksys WRT54G wireless router running my home network. When I
    > signed up for QWest DSL service, they provided the Actiontec DSL
    > wireless modem and router. Though I originally intended to keep the
    > Linksys in service, I pulled it and just set up my home network with the
    > Actiontec. After using if for a month, I now realize it has been
    > problem free, unlike my Linksys.

    <shrug> I supplied my own WRT54G and also a Linksys cable modem, declining
    the ones Comcast wanted to supply me (and charge me for every month), and
    the only problem I've had was in getting setup info for an additional box,
    a Linksys bridge, picking up the wireless net and feeding a 5 port switch
    in a far room. That's been working with no problems for many months.

    YMMV.n

    --
    Steve

    Our representative government today is perhaps more representative than it
    has ever been before in history. It is not necessarily representative _per
    capita_, but it most surely is _ad valorem_.
    - Fred Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth, "The Space Merchants" [1953]

    > <shrug> I supplied my own WRT54G and also a Linksys cable modem,
    > declining the ones Comcast wanted to supply me (and charge me for
    > every month), and the only problem I've had was in getting setup info
    > for an additional box, a Linksys bridge, picking up the wireless net
    > and feeding a 5 port switch in a far room. That's been working with
    > no problems for many months.

    I might have done that, had QWest only provided a DSL modem, but the
    unit they currently provide is also a wireless AP. Tey rent it for $5.00
    per month. I opted to buy it for $59.00 . Not a bad deal, I think. I
    set up quickly, and as I said before, replaced my WRT54G just fine.

    Ed

Wireless Router Wireless Actiontec Internet Wireless Networking