needs_help

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:59 am Post subject: mobo upgrade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im planning on upgrade my motherboard of my old computer to a motherboard that still supports everything that i use, AND with a heat detector/monitor so i'll know how hot everythings running.

this is the mobo on that comp http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-121-261&depa=0

and it has socket 478 p4 2.4 gigz with no HT 400mhz FSB

a DDR 512 mb RAM, it is DDR333 (ddr266 im sorry)

and a 120gig IDE HD, believe its IDE100

as long as the new mobo with heat detection and a good chipsets(Intel, VIA or Sis) and supports those things im using right now, im happy, any suggestion is welcomed

i know the heat detector is called uGuru on Abit's board but what is it called on Asus' boards and boards such as DFI, Chaintech. etc...

thanks a lot in advance guys !!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by needs_help on 02/10/05 10:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

<A HREF="http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311" target="_new">MBM5</A> is a program that allows you to monitor temps in your system. It's a free download and is a great little program.

Just to be clear - the <b>only</b> reason you want a new mobo is to be able to monitor your system temps - the CPU, chipset, etc...?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your board should already support heat and fan detection. If you want an improved board for other reasons, I'd suggest the Abit IS7, except that I'm not certain if you have a Micro ATX case or an ATX case (your current board fits both).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

needs_help

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
thanks guys, but my mobo does not supports any heat detection/monitor, ive checked many times in BIOS and even went on to newegg.com to check
and my case fits a standard ATX but i want a micro ATX because it'll be easier to install and cheaper in most cases, since that computer is for my parents, they r gettin really mad at me cuz i havnt fixed for them in a long time >.<, and since i cant track down what problems r occuring on that comp so i guess a heat monitor will clear somethin out for me, and im gettin sick of it so i decided heck with it and get a new board lol

so the IS7 will support everything im using now? and whats the approximate price (a link will be appreciated) thank you in advance !!!

-------------------------------------------------------

some furthur research as of 10:40pm Feb 10th, the IS7 board is a bit... too good for that comp lol , if i were to get that board, i'll need a new processor since that board only support 533mhz FSB and a new ram at DDR400,(currently using DDR266)

but the good news is, what about this board guys?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1218767&CatId=1155
its from gigabyte and i downloaded the owner's manual in the "Additional Resource" tab and the mobo has heat detection !!

i never used a gigabyte board before so i want to hear u guys' opinions on gigabyte and that board.
thanks again

---------------------------------------------
another update, also checked
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1045120&Tab=9&NoMapp=0
the machspeed board, isnt that bad either!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by needs_help on 02/10/05 10:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

You could list the problems that the comp is having and what you've done to fix it so far. There are a lot of people here that would be more than happy to give you a hand troubleshooting. What makes you think you have a heat problem?

needs_help

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
comp keeps on reboot, ive changed the fan to the Ultra's Fire copper fan supports up to 3.4 gigz still no help, and ive recently opened the PSU to clean out the dusts with my duster, so maybe its because of CPU overheating or PSU probs, which i really not sure because i have no idea how hot everything is runnin in the case

First I would disable the auto reboot. When the error occurs you will get a BSOD - and the associated error code. Then you can google the error code and find the source of the problem causing the reboots.

For heat - try opening the side of the case and have a house fan blowing directly into the case. If heat is the problem, then that should get it cool enough to stop the rebooting. Have you tried logging voltages? Have you run memtest86 to check memory? Have you removed all adware/spyware and checked for viruses? Defragged the HDD?

needs_help

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
yes removed all adware/spywares, havnt defragged the HDD, logging votages? mobo doesnt support that and memtest86? i nvr heard of that sorry

disable auto reboot... that i dont know how, and i dont know what a BSOD is, explain please? im not that expert in this field lol

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
BSOD: Blue screen of death.

There is an option in Windows XP to halt and display a BSOD upon a fatal error instead of rebooting. I don't know where it is cause I never needed it. Think you can google it.

memtest86 is really easy to use, google it.

Too bad your mb doesn't support voltage logging. That way you can't rule out PSU or MB capacitator problems.