Cannot run Application as Normal User

dd5087

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Following security guidelines I have been reading, I have taken off administrator rights from my Owner login which is the one used most of the time. I have installed a new application, while logged in as the Administrator, and now I cannot run that application when logged in as Owner. I get an error message that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". Since I am running Windows 7 Home, I do not have access to local group policies so how do I give permissions to my normal user? If this is always going to be an issue, then removing admin rights from my normal user would not be worth the effort.

dd5087

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

It gives me the same message, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". Now that is confusing.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
so much for some peoples advice about security, I have 6 users on this computer, all me for different things and mailing, but only one is Admin, that way any program I install asks for the Admin password, kinda secure, run MalwareBytes,Avast, and NOD32 too

schan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Locate the program you are trying to access.

Right click the program folder and go to "Security" tab, click Edit

Add your "owner" login account and give it whatever access you want...read/write/or even full control.

As for the security guidelines, I find it unnecessary. If you're the only user and you KNOW not to click on random links/etc then you should be fine in terms of viruses/malware. I've never agreed to the idea of using a standard user and elevate to admin if necessary. Those are just my 2 cents though...and I've rarely gotten a virus.

Good luck!

dd5087

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

I tried this but it didn't help. I think this application did not install correctly. I uninstalled it, changed my owner to have admin rights, then reinstalled it. Seems to work okay now. Thanks for all the suggestions.