Diablo 3 2011 or 2012?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
This game may take quite a bit longer to be released than we initially expected. First it was supposed to come out this year, now they say it may not be on store shelves until late 2011 or 2012.

Is there any word from Blizzard on when this game is supposed to be released?

Will battle.net charge a monthly fee for online play like they do for world of warcraft?

Kasceis

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
There will be no monthly fee. As for the release date, there isn't one. For more information, check out Blizzcon later this year; I think its in October.

I'm sure they will reveal the 5th class there.

Sparksparks

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
This is all speculation and none of it can be confirmed, but I read an article where a Blizzard Employee said that they wanted Diablo 3 out before the 1st Starcraft 2 Expansion, which they want to make a year after the Starcraft 2 Release, so if plans proceed like this, Diablo 3 will be in 2011, but who knows.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
lolol...nonono...u guys obviously have not been around since the dark ages. Typically blizzard has to lie about release dates to maintain customer hope. Release date is then slowly pushed back month by month until you basically forgot about the product. Expect 2015.

if its not free to play after my $60 investment. I will be furious.

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Blizzard does not "lie" about release dates. They do not supply release dates until they have a fair idea of when they are ready to go gold. As long as I've know them they have always been "it'll release once it's ready"

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Is there any word, no. Blizzard likes to say "Hey, were working on it... and we will get back to you with a release date"

Straight from the Blizzard.com website:

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/faq/#3_1

When will Diablo III be released?
It's too early to estimate Diablo III's release date. As with all Blizzard Entertainment games, our goal is to create a game that is as fun, balanced, and polished as possible. We intend to take as much time developing Diablo III as is necessary to ensure the game meets our own high expectations and those of our players. We're aiming to release Diablo III on both Mac and Windows simultaneously in as many regions as possible, and to localize the game in several languages. We'll have more details to share about countries, languages, and specific dates as we get closer to release.

There will most likely be no monthly fee.

Again Straight from Blizzard.com website:

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/faq/#3_4

How much will Diablo III cost? Where can I buy this game?
Pricing and availability for Diablo III will be determined and announced closer to the release of the game.

Blizzard does not know exactly when these two are going to be completed. SCII expansion might be released before Diablo 3 to give the developers a bit more time to refine Diablo 3. But as you so very well stated "who knows".

Im not sure what game gave you a bad experience, but we aren't in the dark ages anymore. If a company says they are working on something, it could range anywhere from "looking into it" to the final finishing touches. That goes for any company, gaming or not.

If your going to pay $60 for something... wouldn't it be a good idea to do some research on it so that there aren't any of those "surprises" once you have it?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Blizzard has made Billions of dollars in profit from all the people paying their monthly fee to pay WoW online.

Why wouldn't they charge for Diablo 3 online play?

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

its possible they could, but probable they wont. They just came out with SCII and i dont have a charge for online play, they didnt charge for SCI and Diablo I or II. Warcraft isnt an online charge. Its only WOW that currently costs a monthly fee. I currently have an email into someone that i personally know that works for Blizzard. When i get their response, i will let you know.