Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I had a few question here....

This is my rig :

e2200 2.6ghz
ram 2gb
hd4850
windows 7

im install new windows 7 on my pc, but when i play crysis i got black screen flickering in the background when i aim weapon ...and sometime when i play it,the sounds is lag and amuse ! anyone know the problem is ??? cause i just had install CCM 10.7 and latest directx and latest phsyx ...

And now about gta 4 !
i had a poor framerate with default settings . . . and whenever i lowering the resolution it dont make any improves of framerate ....

sorry for my bad english !

Solution
Right I have a 3ghz core2 with a 3870 512mb and BOTH games play perfectly for me so I cannot see why you cant run them both easily.

GTA4 for me was unplayable until I added the console command to take out the render limit by adding COMMAND.TXT to the game dir and writing in it norenderlimit (as I remember - google gta4 console commands and you will see for definite). This simple mod took a borderline game and it now runs flat out (barring shadows above 2/3) on the same system with no other changes.

Crysis would benefit from older 9.x drivers with the 4850 but for me I find the 8.12's with cp rather than ccc are faster on my card.

All these posts saying gta 4 is a bad port is 100% right but the command line mod will take out the...

Bostick

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
GTA IV is known to have poor performance even on high-end gaming systems, because of its poor porting from consoles to PC. I'm not surprised you actually lag on your graphics card on GTA IV.

xkresnax

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

so if i add more ram it will improve performance on both games ????

More ram will help your system but Crysis is a tough game on slow processors and low/mid range video cards. Not much help there. GTA4 is a multi core game. Both games will need the graphics turned down and the resolution turned down to get any playability. The flickering can be anything. Graphics card settings to a bad card or something else.

re's others reviews.... and if you take the time to look you'll find YOU are wrong....

"The PC version of GTA 4 has CPU power for breakfast - independent on clock speed, L2 cache or number of cores. The latter ones are very important, because without quad-core power GTA 4 is noticeably less enjoyable. For example: A Q6600 is about 52 percent faster than the dual-core E6600 when both CPUs are running at 2.4 GHz. If the clock speed is increased, the difference gets smaller, but is still huge and a QX6850 is 47 percent faster than an E6850. Dual-core processors have a serious disadvantage and only with 3.6 GHz an E8500 is able to beat the Q6600, but GTA 4 nevertheless suffers from frequent lags on dual-core systems - no matter if an AMD or Intel CPU is used. The Phenom X4 9950 easily passes the Q6600 and theoretically is on the same level as the Q6700"

"Conclusion
GTA 4 benefits from quad-core CPUs as no game did up to now. Even a 4.0 GHz E8500 is not able to compete with a quad-core that has 25 percent less core frequency. "

http://forums.vr-zone.com/news-around-the-web/362187-gta-4-pc-cpu-benchmark-review-13-cpus.html

^^^

This is simply a PR (public relations) spin for the poor port of a console game. The PC version of GTA IV doesn't really add much compared to the console version of the game.

GTA 4 benefits from quad-core CPUs as no game did up to now.

Because no other game has been such a poor port of a console game.

I'm pretty sure most people will agree that the processing power of a quad core CPU far exceeds what the PS3 and Xbox 360 are capable of. Additionally, the Xbox 360's video card is (if I remember correctly) equivalent to a 7900GT and is considered "under powered" compared to today's mainstream video cards (not to mention high end video cards).

I'll admit, I have not done any indepth comparision of the console version and the PC version of GTA IV. Therefore, can you shed any light as to why the PC version "recommends" such high performance components for the game other than a poor port? To me, it seems that even the "minimum PC requirements" for the game exceeds the hardware in an Xbox 360.

"can you shed any light as to why the PC version "recommends" such high performance components for the game other than a poor port?".........

umm, NOPE. I don't have time to fight with you over this. If you don't want to believe it, don't.

Maybe I shouldn't say that it's been proven that 2gigs of memory on a video card vs 1gig also has a great impact on that game.......

gelde3001

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Right I have a 3ghz core2 with a 3870 512mb and BOTH games play perfectly for me so I cannot see why you cant run them both easily.

GTA4 for me was unplayable until I added the console command to take out the render limit by adding COMMAND.TXT to the game dir and writing in it norenderlimit (as I remember - google gta4 console commands and you will see for definite). This simple mod took a borderline game and it now runs flat out (barring shadows above 2/3) on the same system with no other changes.

Crysis would benefit from older 9.x drivers with the 4850 but for me I find the 8.12's with cp rather than ccc are faster on my card.

All these posts saying gta 4 is a bad port is 100% right but the command line mod will take out the limits and it really is a far better runner then. I assume this was put into the pc version to make the far weaker ps3 and slightly better 360 versions look a lot better next to a far superior hardware platform. Bear in mind the ps3 has a 7600 level gfx chip (7800 on 128bit mem bus) with the 360 having an x1900 class card with embedded dram which is a good chunk faster but still nothing compared to my 3870 or your 4850. The less said about the powerpc based cpu's in both the better - neither are bad but IMO both should have been dual / quad x86.

Only other thing I can think of is to make sure you dont have AA on for crysis or forced on in the ati CCC or CP depending which you have. I will add you could do with 4gb of main ram in the rig for best performance but 2gb will do just with longer loading etc.

Solution

Isaac_thegamer

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I use an HD4850 to play GTA IV on the PC and it works alright. I found that I can only run the game with the second patch installed. I've tried the other patches, but have to install the 2nd patch over top of them. It works. I run the game at medium settings and still turn down some of the things I don't really care about (like shadows, etc). Try installing the patches and see if it works for you on any of those. There are lots of problems with that game, so every rig seems to handle it differently. Good luck!

gelde3001

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Yes every rig is different but with the command line option set it WILL be a lot better - seriously.

Oh and for reference the patches simply dont work for me - dvd bought game not anything else, I just install now and use the command line.

xkresnax

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Hey, i use forth patch ...
And it seems when i turn down some graphics it doesnt improve fps a lot . . .!
I think, your right about "every rig seems to handle it differently".....

SamikSamik

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
YOUR RAM & CPU IS little bit low for those games ....specialy on win 7 ...try XP you wont have that problem anymore surly .... & little upgrade to you CPU & Rams would be GREAT DEAL .... if you care about runing CRYSIS & GTA IV smoothly

Status
Not open for further replies.