Doom 3 My 0.01p

Got it read the min-spec
played a bit
upgraded to 9800pro
Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it
drops down to 5fps!

Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
card can it?

There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!

Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with
the exception of some snazz heat haze effects

If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will
run in the opposite direction!

Content 9/10
Humour 8/10
Technical 3/10

Would I play it again? No
Online? No
Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet

Off it goes to ebay!
12 answers Last reply
More about doom
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:50:47 +0000, P Doh <h@stand.com> wrote:

    >Got it read the min-spec
    >played a bit
    >upgraded to 9800pro
    >Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it
    >drops down to 5fps!
    >
    >Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    >If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    >card can it?
    >

    >There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >
    >Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with
    >the exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >
    >If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will
    >run in the opposite direction!
    >

    >Content 9/10
    >Humour 8/10
    >Technical 3/10
    >
    >Would I play it again? No
    >Online? No
    >Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >

    >Off it goes to ebay!

    If you are using two monitors you may have to disable spanning
    desktops across monitors to get it to run properly. I was having the
    same problem using the DVI-D monitor as my primary. Whenever any
    special effects such as firing the BFG, busted steam pipes, or
    monsters spawning occured fps would drop to 5. (When I was using two
    anolog monitors it ran fine). I overcame the problem by unticking
    "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" in "properties/settings"
    for the secondary monitor. Now it runs fine in DVI-D mode with the
    secondary (analog) monitor temporarily disabled during gameplay.

    marXbig...who knows just enough to be dangerous.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "P Doh" <h@stand.com> wrote in message
    > Got it read the min-spec
    > played a bit
    > upgraded to 9800pro
    > Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it
    > drops down to 5fps!
    >
    > Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    > If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    > card can it?
    >

    > There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >
    > Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with
    > the exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >
    > If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will
    > run in the opposite direction!
    >

    > Content 9/10
    > Humour 8/10
    > Technical 3/10
    >
    > Would I play it again? No
    > Online? No
    > Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >

    > Off it goes to ebay!

    Well, I have the 9800 Pro... sure, I get 60fps a lot.... it drops to ~30
    during heavy combat.... never dips lower than ~15fps during the most mental
    parts of the game (800x600, High). Again, sure I'm using a 3Ghz processor
    too.... but whatever, you shouldn't be getting 5fps.

    Not got it on Ultra at 1200x1600 or something idiotic have we?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Just when you are feeling good about your system, idsoftware comes along
    with another game. The hardware vendors owe id a great debt of gratitude
    for the sales they have made in the past 10 years.

    I got my copy of Doom3 with my XFX Geforce 6800GT (on a machine with a 3 Ghz
    P4, 512MB PC3200); within 2 weeks, I found myself doubling my RAM to a Gig,
    because anytime a door opened with an enemy ready to attack, the game would
    stutter as new info was furiously being written to virtual memory on my 80G
    Maxtor SATA Harddisk.

    With the extra memory, it's all smooth as silk; of course, I'm out $500
    (card and memory upgrades), but that's the price we pay when id drives up
    with a pretty new game, and we want to come along for the ride.

    Will I ever buy another id game. I can hear the Devil laughing already
    (along with someone at nvidia, Intel, and whatever MB manufacturer I go with
    next time).

    ....can't wait for HL2.
    "P Doh" <h@stand.com> wrote in message
    > Got it read the min-spec
    > played a bit
    > upgraded to 9800pro
    > Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it drops
    > down to 5fps!
    >
    > Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    > If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    > card can it?
    >

    > There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >
    > Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with the
    > exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >
    > If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will run
    > in the opposite direction!
    >

    > Content 9/10
    > Humour 8/10
    > Technical 3/10
    >
    > Would I play it again? No
    > Online? No
    > Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >

    > Off it goes to ebay!
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "chuck" <bilbo@bag.end> wrote in message
    > Just when you are feeling good about your system, idsoftware comes along
    > with another game. The hardware vendors owe id a great debt of gratitude
    > for the sales they have made in the past 10 years.
    >
    > I got my copy of Doom3 with my XFX Geforce 6800GT (on a machine with a 3
    > Ghz P4, 512MB PC3200); within 2 weeks, I found myself doubling my RAM to a
    > Gig, because anytime a door opened with an enemy ready to attack, the game
    > would stutter as new info was furiously being written to virtual memory on
    > my 80G Maxtor SATA Harddisk.
    >
    > With the extra memory, it's all smooth as silk; of course, I'm out $500
    > (card and memory upgrades), but that's the price we pay when id drives up
    > with a pretty new game, and we want to come along for the ride.
    >
    > Will I ever buy another id game. I can hear the Devil laughing already
    > (along with someone at nvidia, Intel, and whatever MB manufacturer I go
    > with next time).

    I'ts a good thing all the game vendors ignore posts like yours. If they did
    we would only have pong to play with.

    > ...can't wait for HL2.
    > "P Doh" <h@stand.com> wrote in message
    >> Got it read the min-spec
    >> played a bit
    >> upgraded to 9800pro
    >> Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it drops
    >> down to 5fps!
    >>
    >> Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    >> If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    >> card can it?
    >>

    >> There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >>
    >> Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with
    >> the exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >>
    >> If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will run
    >> in the opposite direction!
    >>

    >> Content 9/10
    >> Humour 8/10
    >> Technical 3/10
    >>
    >> Would I play it again? No
    >> Online? No
    >> Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >>

    >> Off it goes to ebay!

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    So would you expect these brilliant game developers to respond to those who
    complain their systems can't handle new games by saying, "Oh, I'm going to
    ignore the newest 3d game technology, and make my next effort for the
    Commodore 64."?

    Doom3 seems to me to be the first game in a while to set the hardware bar
    higher... whether that's good or bad probably depends on how much hardware
    you can afford.

    P Doh doesn't say how much memory he has, but I would be willing to bet that
    he just needs to move up to a gig; that seems to be the consensus after
    reading about this same problem in the forums, and experiencing it myself.

    ....and my own video card was most definitely ready for an upgrade; Geforce2
    Ultras, while handling Quake3-era games very well, are just not up to the
    new specs, so into my daughter's computer it goes!
    "Allan Martin" <Allan@Ua-Corp.com> wrote in message

    > "chuck" <bilbo@bag.end> wrote in message
    >> Just when you are feeling good about your system, idsoftware comes along
    >> with another game. The hardware vendors owe id a great debt of gratitude
    >> for the sales they have made in the past 10 years.
    >>
    >> I got my copy of Doom3 with my XFX Geforce 6800GT (on a machine with a 3
    >> Ghz P4, 512MB PC3200); within 2 weeks, I found myself doubling my RAM to
    >> a Gig, because anytime a door opened with an enemy ready to attack, the
    >> game would stutter as new info was furiously being written to virtual
    >> memory on my 80G Maxtor SATA Harddisk.
    >>
    >> With the extra memory, it's all smooth as silk; of course, I'm out $500
    >> (card and memory upgrades), but that's the price we pay when id drives up
    >> with a pretty new game, and we want to come along for the ride.
    >>
    >> Will I ever buy another id game. I can hear the Devil laughing already
    >> (along with someone at nvidia, Intel, and whatever MB manufacturer I go
    >> with next time).
    >
    > I'ts a good thing all the game vendors ignore posts like yours. If they
    > did we would only have pong to play with.
    >

    >> ...can't wait for HL2.
    >> "P Doh" <h@stand.com> wrote in message
    >>> Got it read the min-spec
    >>> played a bit
    >>> upgraded to 9800pro
    >>> Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it
    >>> drops down to 5fps!
    >>>
    >>> Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    >>> If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    >>> card can it?
    >>>

    >>> There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >>>
    >>> Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with
    >>> the exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >>>
    >>> If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will
    >>> run in the opposite direction!
    >>>

    >>> Content 9/10
    >>> Humour 8/10
    >>> Technical 3/10
    >>>
    >>> Would I play it again? No
    >>> Online? No
    >>> Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >>>

    >>> Off it goes to ebay!

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    >Just when you are feeling good about your system, idsoftware comes along
    >with another game. The hardware vendors owe id a great debt of gratitude
    >for the sales they have made in the past 10 years.
    >
    >I got my copy of Doom3 with my XFX Geforce 6800GT (on a machine with a 3 Ghz
    >P4, 512MB PC3200); within 2 weeks, I found myself doubling my RAM to a Gig,
    >because anytime a door opened with an enemy ready to attack, the game would
    >stutter as new info was furiously being written to virtual memory on my 80G
    >Maxtor SATA Harddisk.
    >
    >With the extra memory, it's all smooth as silk; of course, I'm out $500
    >(card and memory upgrades), but that's the price we pay when id drives up
    >with a pretty new game, and we want to come along for the ride.
    >
    >Will I ever buy another id game. I can hear the Devil laughing already
    >(along with someone at nvidia, Intel, and whatever MB manufacturer I go with
    >next time).
    >
    >...can't wait for HL2.
    >"P Doh" <h@stand.com> wrote in message
    >> Got it read the min-spec
    >> played a bit
    >> upgraded to 9800pro
    >> Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it drops
    >> down to 5fps!
    >>
    >> Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    >> If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    >> card can it?
    >>

    >> There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >>
    >> Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with the
    >> exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >>
    >> If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will run
    >> in the opposite direction!
    >>

    >> Content 9/10
    >> Humour 8/10
    >> Technical 3/10
    >>
    >> Would I play it again? No
    >> Online? No
    >> Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >>

    >> Off it goes to ebay!

    Not that in matters I'll give my 2 cents on this.
    My system is:
    P4 2.0ghz, ATI 9800Pro, 512meg, Windows Me.
    I played the game on high detail at 1600x1200 wth all eye candy except AA and
    AF. The game runs as smooth as silk.
    Time demo reports 45 at these settings.
    Sounds to me like you need to straighten out your system config instead of
    telling us about the game itself.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    The Berzerker wrote:
    > "P Doh" <h@stand.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Got it read the min-spec
    >>played a bit
    >>upgraded to 9800pro
    >>Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it
    >>drops down to 5fps!
    >>
    >>Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    >>If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    >>card can it?
    >>

    >>There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >>
    >>Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with
    >>the exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >>
    >>If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will
    >>run in the opposite direction!
    >>

    >>Content 9/10
    >>Humour 8/10
    >>Technical 3/10
    >>
    >>Would I play it again? No
    >>Online? No
    >>Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >>

    >>Off it goes to ebay!
    >

    > Well, I have the 9800 Pro... sure, I get 60fps a lot.... it drops to ~30
    > during heavy combat.... never dips lower than ~15fps during the most mental
    > parts of the game (800x600, High). Again, sure I'm using a 3Ghz processor
    > too.... but whatever, you shouldn't be getting 5fps.
    >
    > Not got it on Ultra at 1200x1600 or something idiotic have we?

    No 640 x 480!
    No AA low quality
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    marXbig wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:50:47 +0000, P Doh <h@stand.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Got it read the min-spec
    >>played a bit
    >>upgraded to 9800pro
    >>Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it
    >>drops down to 5fps!
    >>
    >>Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    >>If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    >>card can it?
    >>

    >>There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >>
    >>Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with
    >>the exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >>
    >>If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will
    >>run in the opposite direction!
    >>

    >>Content 9/10
    >>Humour 8/10
    >>Technical 3/10
    >>
    >>Would I play it again? No
    >>Online? No
    >>Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >>

    >>Off it goes to ebay!
    >

    > If you are using two monitors you may have to disable spanning
    > desktops across monitors to get it to run properly. I was having the
    > same problem using the DVI-D monitor as my primary. Whenever any
    > special effects such as firing the BFG, busted steam pipes, or
    > monsters spawning occured fps would drop to 5. (When I was using two
    > anolog monitors it ran fine). I overcame the problem by unticking
    > "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" in "properties/settings"
    > for the secondary monitor. Now it runs fine in DVI-D mode with the
    > secondary (analog) monitor temporarily disabled during gameplay.
    >
    > marXbig...who knows just enough to be dangerous.

    No only set to use one monitor, primary number 1 display (a Iiyama
    LS704U CRT @ 85Hz)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:46:33 +0000, P Doh <h@stand.com> wrote:

    >marXbig wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:50:47 +0000, P Doh <h@stand.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Got it read the min-spec
    >>>played a bit
    >>>upgraded to 9800pro
    >>>Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it
    >>>drops down to 5fps!
    >>>
    >>>Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    >>>If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    >>>card can it?
    >>>

    >>>There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >>>
    >>>Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with
    >>>the exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >>>
    >>>If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will
    >>>run in the opposite direction!
    >>>

    >>>Content 9/10
    >>>Humour 8/10
    >>>Technical 3/10
    >>>
    >>>Would I play it again? No
    >>>Online? No
    >>>Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >>>

    >>>Off it goes to ebay!
    >>

    >> If you are using two monitors you may have to disable spanning
    >> desktops across monitors to get it to run properly. I was having the
    >> same problem using the DVI-D monitor as my primary. Whenever any
    >> special effects such as firing the BFG, busted steam pipes, or
    >> monsters spawning occured fps would drop to 5. (When I was using two
    >> anolog monitors it ran fine). I overcame the problem by unticking
    >> "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" in "properties/settings"
    >> for the secondary monitor. Now it runs fine in DVI-D mode with the
    >> secondary (analog) monitor temporarily disabled during gameplay.
    >>
    >> marXbig...who knows just enough to be dangerous.

    >No only set to use one monitor, primary number 1 display (a Iiyama
    >LS704U CRT @ 85Hz)

    If you're getting 60-80 except during certain events, you've got a
    driver problem of some type. Plain and simple. It's not the
    game...it's you.

    marXbig...who knows just enough to be dangerous.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Allan Martin wrote:

    > "chuck" <bilbo@bag.end> wrote in message
    >
    >>Just when you are feeling good about your system, idsoftware comes along
    >>with another game. The hardware vendors owe id a great debt of gratitude
    >>for the sales they have made in the past 10 years.
    >>
    >>I got my copy of Doom3 with my XFX Geforce 6800GT (on a machine with a 3
    >>Ghz P4, 512MB PC3200); within 2 weeks, I found myself doubling my RAM to a
    >>Gig, because anytime a door opened with an enemy ready to attack, the game
    >>would stutter as new info was furiously being written to virtual memory on
    >>my 80G Maxtor SATA Harddisk.
    >>
    >>With the extra memory, it's all smooth as silk; of course, I'm out $500
    >>(card and memory upgrades), but that's the price we pay when id drives up
    >>with a pretty new game, and we want to come along for the ride.
    >>
    >>Will I ever buy another id game. I can hear the Devil laughing already
    >>(along with someone at nvidia, Intel, and whatever MB manufacturer I go
    >>with next time).
    >

    > I'ts a good thing all the game vendors ignore posts like yours. If they did
    > we would only have pong to play with.
    >

    >>...can't wait for HL2.
    >>"P Doh" <h@stand.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Got it read the min-spec
    >>>played a bit
    >>>upgraded to 9800pro
    >>>Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it drops
    >>>down to 5fps!
    >>>
    >>>Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    >>>If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    >>>card can it?
    >>>

    >>>There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >>>
    >>>Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with
    >>>the exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >>>
    >>>If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will run
    >>>in the opposite direction!
    >>>

    >>>Content 9/10
    >>>Humour 8/10
    >>>Technical 3/10
    >>>
    >>>Would I play it again? No
    >>>Online? No
    >>>Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >>>

    >>>Off it goes to ebay!

    Yes but Pong's minimum system requirments (64k JVM) might stand the test
    of truth more than Id's misplaced optimisum
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Idbbs01 wrote on 11/9/2004 11:22 AM:
    >>Just when you are feeling good about your system, idsoftware comes along
    >>with another game. The hardware vendors owe id a great debt of gratitude
    >>for the sales they have made in the past 10 years.
    >>
    >>I got my copy of Doom3 with my XFX Geforce 6800GT (on a machine with a 3 Ghz
    >>P4, 512MB PC3200); within 2 weeks, I found myself doubling my RAM to a Gig,
    >>because anytime a door opened with an enemy ready to attack, the game would
    >>stutter as new info was furiously being written to virtual memory on my 80G
    >>Maxtor SATA Harddisk.
    >>
    >>With the extra memory, it's all smooth as silk; of course, I'm out $500
    >>(card and memory upgrades), but that's the price we pay when id drives up
    >>with a pretty new game, and we want to come along for the ride.
    >>
    >>Will I ever buy another id game. I can hear the Devil laughing already
    >>(along with someone at nvidia, Intel, and whatever MB manufacturer I go with
    >>next time).
    >>
    >>...can't wait for HL2.
    >>"P Doh" <h@stand.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Got it read the min-spec
    >>>played a bit
    >>>upgraded to 9800pro
    >>>Now can get 60-80 fps no problem UNTIL some enemies appear, then it drops
    >>>down to 5fps!
    >>>
    >>>Okay so I only have an XP2200, but it does say 1.5Ghz CPU would be okay
    >>>If it hits 60-80 fps with nothing there it cannot be just the graphics
    >>>card can it?
    >>>

    >>>There are some real stupidly tough bosses that at 5fps are even harder!
    >>>
    >>>Graphics quality still only about the same as unreal(circa 1999), with the
    >>>exception of some snazz heat haze effects
    >>>
    >>>If I see another game bills itself as having the doom 3 engine I will run
    >>>in the opposite direction!
    >>>

    >>>Content 9/10
    >>>Humour 8/10
    >>>Technical 3/10
    >>>
    >>>Would I play it again? No
    >>>Online? No
    >>>Will I buy any more Id software? Never seems a pretty safe bet
    >>>

    >>>Off it goes to ebay!
    >

    > Not that in matters I'll give my 2 cents on this.
    > My system is:
    > P4 2.0ghz, ATI 9800Pro, 512meg, Windows Me.
    > I played the game on high detail at 1600x1200 wth all eye candy except AA and
    > AF. The game runs as smooth as silk.
    > Time demo reports 45 at these settings.
    > Sounds to me like you need to straighten out your system config instead of
    > telling us about the game itself.

    I would agree with that. It takes skill to keep any computer clean. I
    recommend using the following:

    RegSupreme
    Adaware
    Defrag
    Make sure you follow the many tweaking sites about page files, drive
    partitioning etc.

    I know, you say, 'but I spent all this money on a computer is should be
    fast no matter what." Well, buy a sports car and never change the oil.

    Jim
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > Doom3 seems to me to be the first game in a while to set the hardware bar
    > higher... whether that's good or bad probably depends on how much hardware
    > you can afford.

    Probably the first one since Quake 3, in fact. Up till now, it's all been
    about getting ever-higher FPS on the last generation of games powered by
    id's engines <g>

    There is no spoon.

    EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
    My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
    Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

Games Video Games