z28_2000

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
I've got a fair amount of computing experiece (can put my own system together, etc...) but I need a little help with something. I've got a bunch of spare parts around (CPUs, Motherboards, ram, etc...) from various upgrades. Some work, some don't. My question is...if I have a CPU that works but a motherboard that doesn't, would the non-working motherboard then ruin my CPU? Moreover, would a non-working (broken) part then maybe ruin one that is currently working if they are combined together? Any suggestions on the best way to test motherboards and CPUs to see if they work? Thanks much!

sturm

Splendid
If the part is shorting out it could overload the motherboard. But most newer boards have safty built in that will cause them to reboot or just plain shutdown if limits are exceded. You should be safe overall trying them together.
I would make sure that you have a good/brand new power supply as that is one part that could easily fry the motherboard.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I've seen it going well but I have also seen one bad component (cpu) destroying two good ones (mainboards). That was way back with an K6-2 400, new parts have better protection but there is no guarantee. I would start with the oldest components, if something goes wrong, those die instead of the new ones.

endyen

Splendid
There is a simple ohmeter test for athlon chips. If you like, I can post a link after work, or more likely in about 20 hrs.
For mobos, it is best to look first for blown capacitors (leaking or bulging) and burn marks on components, esp. around the chip socket.
First thing to do is to see if the mobo will power up a fan, with nothing else installed on the board. Just use a jumper on the power switch, and pull it off a second after the power switch is turned on. You would still need to take a good hard look at the v-regs, and the capacitors before installing a known good chip though.