Connecting Fans

bon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
Well, I am currently putting together my nforce4 SLI ASUS Deluxe motherboard into my new Chassis. I have like 4 FANS to connect buy I only see CHA-1 and CHA-2 FAN connecters on my motherboard. How do I connect my other FANS? Is there a way to power them up via the power supply?
If so, which is better? Motherboard or power supply for FAN power?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, they're just 12v fans, you can get adapters all over the place, including nexfan.com.

Most cases that have more than 2 fans include some 4-pin fans, I'm surprised yours didn't.

The difference is that the motherboard is able to use the 3rd wire to monitor fan speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
I guess I need to refraise my question.
FYI My Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board has 4 PIN fans.
2 are for the CPU.
2 are for Chasis; CHA-1 and CHA-2.
This board has tons of extra cables included.
I also have a 520W OCZ PS with tons of extra cables.
However I have 2 more FANS on my new Lian LI PC-V2000B that need connected. One is a custom side blowhole and the other is top of my chasis. These need to connect somehow.

Question
Should I find an extended cable adapter on my PW to connect to these FANS?

HW Specs
Asus A8N-SLI DX
AMD-64 FX-53
1 Gig DR400(Dual)
Asus Star Ice (CPU Cooler)
OCZ PowerStream 520PSU
2 Nvidia 6800GT SLI
Lian Li PC-V2000B MOD w blowhole

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I already gave you the answer, yes, you should buy the 4-pin power supply plug adapter. But NO, your motherboard powers 3-pin fans. Those 3 pins are 12v, ground, and speed sensor.

The adapter goes from 3-pins to 4 pins but only has 2 wires to the fan, 12v and ground. The third pin (speed sensor) can't be read by a power supply's 4-pin connectors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
2 are for the CPU.
I've never seen a CPU HSF in my life that requires 2 fan headers. 2 might be next to the CPU, but only one is actually for the CPU itself. Some PSUs have a wire coming out which allows the system to monitor the PSU fan. best guess is it's intended for that, but there's no reason to not plug a casefan into it.

I would just re-wire the fans to use a standard 4-pin male molex connector, but that because I have a few floating around for various reasons... :smile:

Otherwise, what Crashman said.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

bon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
You mentioned that you have *NEVER* seen a CPU HSF that requires 2 FANS. So.....here you are! :D

Star Ice on ASUS K8 motherboard
##################################
The Star Ice incorporated a horizontal design and bundled the unique Smart Clip Set. These two innovative features allow the fan to always point towards the chassis?f rear ventilation holes regardless of CPU locations and motherboards layouts. When the heat sink absorbs the heat generated by the CPU, the fan immediately vents out the hot air, successfully preventing the heat from circulating within the case. For extreme cooling, it also permits a second rear fan.

This Heatsink has an option to added a second FAN to it.

HW Specs
Asus A8N-SLI DX
AMD-64 FX-53
1 Gig DR400(Dual)
Asus Star Ice (CPU Cooler)
OCZ PowerStream 520PSU
2 Nvidia 6800GT SLI
Lian Li PC-V2000B MOD w blowhole

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Seen that. Some of the new heatpipe coolers use two fans also.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot