Computer Keeps Restarting

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I am Having problems with my PC as when I am playing some games like Half Life 2 and
LOTR The Battle for middle Earth every now and again my computer freezes and exits the
game and sometimes it even restarts for no apparent reason my pc consists of

Motherboard: Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939
GFX Card: Leadtek Winfast 6600GT
Memory: 2x512Mb Kingmax DDR400
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 6

I dont think it is a overhaeting problem as I have the fan on the HSF on high and I also
have 1x80mm and 1x120mm case fans for extra ventilation. If any one could help with this
it would be greatly appreciated

Thx

My Mum always said God has a plan, guess I was Plan B

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
My PSU is a Codegen 400W I am thinking about getting a Enermax one I think it is called Coolergiant which is 420W I think. Would this be a better option now or will my system run fine at the moment with the Codegen one.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
If it crashes when your computer is under a lot of stress then its probably the power or memory.

If it only crashes durring games its probably a video/sound card problem.

1st Test the memory in DOS with memtest86, then in windows with prime 95 torture test. Run each overnight, no errors means you memory is not defective.

Stress test your system without running a game (Sandra burn in wizzard, continuous cpu & memory benchmarks, throw in anything else you like. Ripping DVD's while benmarking hard drive will boost your power useage.

Several hours with no problems and then your system is lieklye stable.

Try gamming with the sound disabled. NO crashes and its a sound card problem.

It it crashes anyway it could be your video card has been factory overclocked and goes unstable playing demanding games, or it could be heat problem.

Try swapping in a different card and see if all your problems disappear.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I've just replaced my Codegen PSU of 400W. Codegen are really terrible PSU's, if you compare their rail amp raitings to good PSU you know they're really worthless. I am surprised it didn't die yet. Mine got hot all the time and finally the fan died. The voltages were also too low (12V@11.5, 5V@4.8 and 3.3V@3.12). Get rid of it.

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I am looking at buying a new one the one that I am looking at is the Enermax Coolergiant 480W is this an alright PSU. I have also seen an XG Vortec ones that are either 500W or 600W are these PSUs good ones which one would be better between these three. Does anybody have suggestions on any other good quality power supplies for my system.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You should probably unplug that system until you get a new PSU. I am betting the farm that your PSU is the culprit and you could damage the system if it is rebooting you so often.

As for which PSU to buy, it would help if you gave us a price range. Some of the companies that produce good PSU's are.

Fortron Source- Probably the best Price/Performance PSU
Sparlke - If the model numbers match the Fortrons its the same PSU.
Thermaltake - Good PSU's but for the price you pay most arent worth it. The one exception that I can make is their new 680W split rail PSU. IMO this is the best on the market. $200.00
Antec-very quite good quality
Enermax- I have always heard good things about them but they seem pricey to me.

The other thing that you need to consider is which revision you will get. Since your buying a new PSU I would strongly suggest that you look at the new split rail models. Check on Newegg and look at the 3 Fortron Source split rails. They will be the blue ones.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0" target="_new">Fortron Blue Storm 500W</A> for $89
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-459&depa=1" target="_new">Enermax Noisetaker 420W</A> for $75
<A HREF="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270520" target="_new">Sparkle Power FSP460-60PFN 460 Watts EPS12V</A> for $82.99

All are good PSUs.

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
The Prices are
Enermax Coolergiant 480W $165
XG VORTEC 500watt $149
XG VORTEC 600watt $179

I have also seen topower power supplie what are these ones like has anyone heard anything bad about them or are they good brands coz I have seen one for $165 for a 600W EPS one

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I'm still not sure about the ATX compatibility of EPS.

Can you list the amp ratings per rail of the XG psu's?
What I know about Topower is that they are alright but not really good, I believe low amps on 12V rail.

Another option...<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-460&depa=1" target="_new">Enermax Whisper II 535W</A> for $109

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
The website doesnt say what there ratings are. I was also wondering what power output would I be looking for for my system if at the moment its current setup is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939
GFX Card: Leadtek Winfast 6600GT
Memory: 2x512Mb Kingmax DDR400
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 6
Fans: 1x120mm Vantec Stealth + 1x80mm Vantec Stealth

and I am looking at buying a new motherboard that has SLI and will be running two 6600GT gfx Cards. How powerful should the PSU be, is a 480W PSU enough or should I be looking at a 500W or 600W one