Starcraft 2 is STILL freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hi. I inserted frameratecap= 60 and frameratecapglue= 30 and the game is still freezing.

i have a amd phenom 2 x4 3.4 ghz (enabled all 4 cores)

ati radeon 4670(i think 4600 series for sure) 1gb gddr3 video card 750 mhz gpu

2gigs of ddr2 ram

BioStar TA785GE 128M AMD 785G AM2+ Motherboard

these are well beyond the minum requirements for running sc2 and the game still freezes!

what else can i do? and is anyone else having this problem?

thanks

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

How is that any help at all? Why are you even posting garbage like that? I play SC2 at Ultra Settings with an ATI card with absolutely no issues. GTFO Nvidia Fan-boy.

OT: Are you running the latest drivers from ATI/AMD's website? If so, have you tried rolling them back to previous drivers? Make sure after uninstalling them your run Driver Sweeper and reboot. What do your cpu/gpu temps look like at Idle and Under load?

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
At what point during gameplay does it freeze?

Campaign

Single player VS AI

Multiplayer

Additionally, try running the updater manually from the SCII program file to make sure you have all of the updates.

----

@brett1042002

1 up for the Fan-boy comment :D

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

freezes single player and multiplayer. sometimes it freezes pretty quickly and other times i can play for a long time (couple hours) without it freezing.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

yea i dl the latest drivers. I dont know how to roll them back and i dont know what a driver sweep is.

when idle my cpu temp is high 30's Celsius and my gpu temp is high 30's low 40's

is that too high when idle?

what can i do?

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
The Idle temps are OK. Have you ever had any lock-up/crashing issues with other games? Or just this one? What are your temps like while under load? You can download and run Prime95 to stress test your system for any stability issues.

Also, Driver Sweeper is a utility you can download (just Google it) to remove any left over driver data after you do the normal uninstall process.

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

I'm sorry, but this bugs me. Are you saying:

Laugh Out Loud...Out Loud, Out Loud? You seem quite unintelligent in saying that. And i would like to call you a word associated with feminine hygeine if it weren't for forum rules.

As for your ATI comment....or "no comment"...i have an ATI card and can play this game flawlessly. While i realise this is of no help to the thread, at least you know it will work ;-)

30 degrees for a CPU/GPU is generally a good temp. Max rated temp is over 100 celsius or something, so you are very safe.

jmm5351

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I also am having the same issue with the game freezing or crashing my pc all the time. Sometimes it happens in 10 minutes sometimes hours. There is no pattern to it. I have tried absolutely everything you can possibly do. First specs.

My system specs:

Windows 7 64-Bit
AMD 1090T Processor @4.4Ghz
Crossfire ASUS 5870V2
16Gb OCZ DDR3 Memory
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
2 1Tb Harddrives Raid 0
2 Intel X-25M SSD 80Gb Raid 0
Ultra X4 1200 Watt Power Supply

My CPU and Video Cards are liquid cooled and CPU temp reaches 38 celsius and the hottest viddeo card only reaches 55-56 while the other video card reaches 52 celsius. I know nothing is over heating either. Here is a list of everything I tried up to this point which all failed to work:

1)Re-installing game (Four times thus far).

2)Updated to latest 10.7 Catalyst Driver.

3)Tried rolling back to an earlier Catalyst Driver (Tried 10.6,10.5, and 10.4).

4)First I installed onto an SSD, I thought who knows maybe thats why. So I re-installed onto a normal 7200 RPM Harddrive.

5)Tried every compatibility mode, none made a difference.

6)Tried running as administrator.

7)StarCraft 2 Switcher - What ever that is but I tried playing the game by running the SCIISwitcher.exe. Just kept crashing as before.

8)All 3D settings in Catalyst I had set as custom, so set all the 3D settings to "Use Application Settings".

9)Lowered all Graphic Settings with in the game to low quality.

10)For the heck of it, I turned off my Anti-Virus protection.

11)I experienced all of these issues while my cpu was overclocked to 4.4Ghz and Video Cards at a modest 950 core and 1250 memory (My pc was 100% stable and never experienced any problems of any kind ever) but I thought I would set the cpu and video cards at default clock speeds. This did not make any difference either.

12)For the heck of it I turned two cores off on my Hexa core cpu so it functioned as a Quad core, I didn't think that would have made a difference.

13)Forgot to mention that I also disabled CrossFire thinking that may help, but it did not. I also removed a video card and that also failed to work.

14)I re-installed Windows 7 twice just to be 100% positive the operating wasn't corrupted somehow, but fresh installation was also a failure.

There are more things I did but I cannot think of them at the moment. But I absolutely did everything you can do.
Does Blizzard know that this is happening to everyone ? Do you have any suggestions to get Starcraft II working ?

What ever anyone says, this is definitely a problem within the game itself. I play numerous pc games all the time and my system is perfecto. Games like Battlefield Bad Company 2, Crysis, Metro 2033, Resident Evil 5, Dirt 2, Dawn of Discovery, Sins of a Solar Empire, Dolphin Emulator (Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil 1 Remake), and many more games. My pc is a natural with any other game. I only have experienced a game crashing my pc till StarCraft II. I think the game is great and love it but I also hate this game right now because for the sake of my life it takes me a day to progress through one mission on hard setting because of the constant crashing... : ( I hope Blizzard patches this issue up soon so I can play again. It obviously is some sort of graphics problem because of how it crashes. Maybe ATI will release a driver update that fixes it, I don't know but I do know other people with different 5870 cards can play the game fine. It is a really awkward and probably going to take time for Blizzard to solve this bizare but crappy mishap.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
actually my game stopped freezing!

i upgraded a win xp 32 bit to a win 7 64 bit and got 2gigs of additional ram.

hasnt crashed since. probably played over 24 hours so far after switch.
before it used to crash from mayb 10 mins starting anywhere to an hour of playing.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
That's interesting. I have 2 gigs of DDR2 ram too. Everytime I start a game it lags for the first 15 seconds. Heard if you have 4 gigs it doesn't. Didn't know lack of ram could cause it to crash. They really should have put 4 GB on the recommended requirements. I also think lack of ram is causing the graphics not to display properly. If I open a couple programs, close them, then start up SC2, the graphics don't display properly. Some scenes in the cinematics are really blurry and the in-game graphics don't display properly. Things don't really blow up, and you can't even see the flame on a hellion. Stuff like that. It's crazy, but I also have Win Xp too, so not sure if that's the problem too. If I restart my computer and just open the game first thing, it's fine. Hopefully, I get the rest of my components tomorrow to build my new PC. It's going to be awesome.

ckmost

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Yup lack of ram will do it to you, I had 2 gb and had stutter problems, got 4 and everything is smooth now. its important to see the available memory and you gfx card and other programs borrow system ram. In my system now I actually have 3.2gb available out of 4. When i had 2gb i actually only had 1.5gb (under the recommended). What end up happening is that the hdd would read in game too often creating a bottleneck as its easily the slowest component.

I also found that overclocking my CPU would cause the game to crash.

xemon

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010

i also have ati 5870 xfx , and amd x4 965 black edition , and tried everything it still crashes like you said

Status
Not open for further replies.