Leadtek Nforce2 and 6600GT

asjasonsdp

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I've had a Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18G-ProII for over a year(running the Geforce4 440MX IGP) stable and smooth.
Well, as smooth as you can get with something that old. I decided it was time for a small upgrade, so i got a BFG 6600GT OC video card. It ran for a little while (maybe a day, probably less), then i started getting random system lockups (mostly in games or demos). i can take the card out and everything is fine. I can leave the system on and it will stay up for weeks at a time with no problem.

any ideas?

My system:
AMD 2500+
Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18G-ProII
512MB Corsair +256MB unknown
100GB WD SE
100GB WD SE
200GB WD SE SATA
Soundblaster Live
Sony CDRW
ANTEC TruePower 450W
6600GT (not in right now)

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
And if it's not a a heating problem: Have you connected the additional power to the card?

And of course, log the voltages, the Antec should be well up to the job but maybe the vregs on the mainboard give you trouble.

asjasonsdp

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
good ideas, but i've done all kinds of stuff including those. The household fan has been beside my computer for a long time now (before i got the card). After all the hours i've spent talking to the BFG techs my bios is tweaked and all my voltages are good.

just last night i took my ram and put them in in bank 0 and 1 ,instead of 0 and 2, thus disableing dual DDR :-(
It's been running ever since and I can even run demos without problems. so, i'm going to give it a few days before i decide it's working.

know all i need to do is find out if it is the RAM or the mobo. any ideas?

BTW, the 6600 runs at about 39C after i exit a game<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by asjasonsdp on 02/16/05 04:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

asjasonsdp

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
yes.
The BIOS autodetects the video card, it will use the AGP card if present and disables the onboard automaticaly.
I had a lockup with both sticks of ram in (not using dual DDR)
So i took out the 256MB stick and just left the 512MB in and it's been running for a day now. I haven't had a chance to play any games, but the demos run well.
One of my co-workers said it might be a timing issue. It's possible that the 256MB doesn't support the 2.5 CAS timing of the cosair 512MB and that's cuasing the errors.

I welcome your thoughts