pc or x box

Hi there
Kinda new to the world of gaming,been playing doom 3 for about a month now
super wicked game......been playing it on pc.
Thinking about getting more games like the new halo ect.
Never played any games on an xbox and was just curious on what is the best
system to play games on pc or x-box
Like to hear from others with thier opinions about the two befor i start
investing in games.
Some stats are my monitor is a 19 inch and doom works great on my
system....if i was going to get a x-box my tv is a new sony wega tv 40 inch
i think .
Thank for any input.
Rob
9 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On 11/9/2004 9:42 PM deli brightened our day with:

    >Hi there
    >Kinda new to the world of gaming,been playing doom 3 for about a month now
    >super wicked game......been playing it on pc.
    >Thinking about getting more games like the new halo ect.
    >Never played any games on an xbox and was just curious on what is the best
    >system to play games on pc or x-box
    >Like to hear from others with thier opinions about the two befor i start
    >investing in games.
    >Some stats are my monitor is a 19 inch and doom works great on my
    >system....if i was going to get a x-box my tv is a new sony wega tv 40 inch
    >i think .
    >Thank for any input.
    >Rob

    I love my XBox, but it's basically a toy. You can get one on sale
    probably for $100, so why not.

    This month I had to make a choice, buy Half-Life 2 for the PC or get
    Halo 2 for the XBox. Halo 2 tugged at me a bit, but 99% of my brain
    said get Half-Life 2, and get the $80 collector's edition while you're
    at it.

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    deli wrote:
    > Hi there
    > Kinda new to the world of gaming,been playing doom 3 for about a
    > month now super wicked game......been playing it on pc.
    > Thinking about getting more games like the new halo ect.
    > Never played any games on an xbox and was just curious on what is the
    > best system to play games on pc or x-box
    > Like to hear from others with thier opinions about the two befor i
    > start investing in games.
    > Some stats are my monitor is a 19 inch and doom works great on my
    > system....if i was going to get a x-box my tv is a new sony wega tv
    > 40 inch i think .
    > Thank for any input.
    > Rob

    Depends how much you want to play games, I have all the consoles but still
    found my self shelling out £400+ to upgrade my PC for D00m 3. I will be
    playing Halo 2 tommorow on my xbox hopefully and next week back to the PC
    for Half life 2. If I had to choose either the xbox or PC I would choose
    the PC as games like doom 3 and Halo should always be better. That said
    there is some advantages to slouching in front of the TV with a control pad.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "deli" <deli@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    > Kinda new to the world of gaming,been playing doom 3 for about a month now
    > super wicked game......been playing it on pc.
    > Thinking about getting more games like the new halo ect.
    > Never played any games on an xbox and was just curious on what is the best
    > system to play games on pc or x-box
    > Like to hear from others with thier opinions about the two befor i start
    > investing in games.
    > Some stats are my monitor is a 19 inch and doom works great on my
    > system....if i was going to get a x-box my tv is a new sony wega tv 40
    > inch i think .
    > Thank for any input.
    > Rob

    Personally I'd always choose the PC - it's upgradeable, you can use all the
    funky mods and add-ons for the games, and you can alt-tab back to Word when
    the boss comes sneaking by, too ;)

    There is no spoon.

    EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
    My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
    Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "deli" <deli@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    > Kinda new to the world of gaming,been playing doom 3 for about a month now
    > super wicked game......been playing it on pc.
    > Thinking about getting more games like the new halo ect.
    > Never played any games on an xbox and was just curious on what is the best
    > system to play games on pc or x-box
    > Like to hear from others with thier opinions about the two befor i start
    > investing in games.
    > Some stats are my monitor is a 19 inch and doom works great on my
    > system....if i was going to get a x-box my tv is a new sony wega tv 40
    inch
    > i think .
    > Thank for any input.
    > Rob

    I think generally when choosing a game which crosses both platforms, get it
    for the PC (you said you had a powerful one). Not only will it be generally
    easier to play with the keyboard and mouse, but will probably have
    significantly better graphics.

    However, the Xbox is of course great for exclusives, because they're
    generally made incredibly well for the system, and of course can't be played
    on any other platform. Sitting on the sofa in front of a big TV is also a
    major benefit. The controller is incredibly easy to use, despite what some
    people may say. (Although the mouse will always have the competitive
    advantage - but that doesn't matter)

    So yeah, there you go. Adding an Xbox to your collection is a good idea...
    but I'm sure it won't overshadow your PC. (note the impending release of
    half-life 2 and painkiller expansion pack etc)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    > said get Half-Life 2, and get the $80 collector's edition while you're
    > at it.

    That's what I did, too. Not sure if I need the t-shirt or the dvd version
    of the game, but getting the original game remastered and counter-striker
    source seemed worth it. Do you know if it comes in a special collectable
    box?

    Mike
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On 11/10/2004 1:00 PM Mike in Mystic brightened our day with:

    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243836.asp

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    This is where I ordered mine:

    http://store.vugames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=645921

    If you enter "HALFLIFE2" as a special code at ordering you get free
    overnight shipping.

    That box looks like cardboard to me. Oh well.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On 11/10/2004 3:47 AM EvilBill brightened our day with:

    >"deli" <deli@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >

    >>Hi there
    >>Kinda new to the world of gaming,been playing doom 3 for about a month now
    >>super wicked game......been playing it on pc.
    >>Thinking about getting more games like the new halo ect.
    >>Never played any games on an xbox and was just curious on what is the best
    >>system to play games on pc or x-box
    >>Like to hear from others with thier opinions about the two befor i start
    >>investing in games.
    >>Some stats are my monitor is a 19 inch and doom works great on my
    >>system....if i was going to get a x-box my tv is a new sony wega tv 40
    >>inch i think .
    >>Thank for any input.
    >>Rob
    >>

    >Personally I'd always choose the PC - it's upgradeable, you can use all the
    >funky mods and add-ons for the games, and you can alt-tab back to Word when
    >the boss comes sneaking by, too ;)

    I know, I always have a hard time stashing the TV, the XBox and
    controller at the office when the productivity overseer comes around.

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    "The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
    > "deli" <deli@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > Hi there
    > > Kinda new to the world of gaming,been playing doom 3 for about a
    month now
    > > super wicked game......been playing it on pc.
    > > Thinking about getting more games like the new halo ect.
    > > Never played any games on an xbox and was just curious on what is
    the best
    > > system to play games on pc or x-box

    Doom3 is supposedly "dumbed-down" for the Xbox. The resolution of a TV
    is lower than a PC, and the hardware is fixed at what you got when you
    bought it. I got the PC version and, altho my video card is under
    powered, enjoyed playing it close up and personal, not across the room.

    --
    ArWeTwitchy

Gaming Games Video Games