Tablet Packs Windows 7, Core i7, and Hefty Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... iPad is way better and functional... why you need a i5 or i7? To do what? Play Crysis? For that amount you can by 4,5 iPad's, write an app that is useful in given situation... on the other hand... if the brand exists, that means they have a customer base... by the way, i use PC...

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I have a feeling most of the cost of the device has to do with it meeting MIL-SPEC. Usually that is not a cheap feat and require that this thing take a beating, almost quite literally and keep on functioning. There will be no dropped tablets with broken screens (more than likely) and you can use it in the rain, the desert and probably in arctic conditions, though I wonder if it has a screen heater to keep the LCD functioning at cold temps....

Sounds like one tough tablet that will last a long time...

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... iPad is way better and functional... why you need a i5 or i7? To do what? Play Crysis? For that amount you can by 4,5 iPad's, write an app that is useful in given situation... on the other hand... if the brand exists, that means they have a customer base... by the way, i use PC...[/citation]

I think you missed the point... I don't think this was meant to compete with the i-pad or be your normal tablet computer. This is to be on a level WELL above an ipad. Thats where you missed the MIL-SPEC rating... Go take your ipad out into the pouring rain and use it with out an umbrella or hell make it a Hurricane.... then lets take it to the desert where there is sand....

Then lets connect some external devices as I need to load on some major applications that I can't download at less than 3G speed because it would take 4 days....

This is meant to be kicked around, abused, dropped, used in open weather, and probably has USB ports or maybe even sealed SD card ports to make things easy.

This isn't meant to be compared to the iPad...

Just another apple lover showing his love for the device which is nice, but when it comes down too it, in this household the first month everyone wanted to play with it and use it... and now it sits more on the coffee table than in use....

Our iPhones get more use than our iPad, and I have to say in my haste to have the iPad, I wasted 599 dollars....

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
i could do with one of these, would be much easier to use when i'm up and about compared to a laptop and i could use it while i'm walking.

With the Ipad, your forced to use your finger(s) for everything, and the screen wont work with a stylus (SORRY FOR COMPARING THE TWO!) but with this thing, it's all guud.

(Don't even get started about battery life :eek:) Ipad kicks this thing's a** when it comes to battery.

The price isn't to bad, I have seen tablets go for more but if you are a professional or an enthusiast then the price is only an after thought. Compared to the iPad I am surprised that it doesn't cost more plus you will be able to play some modern games like wow or half life2 but RTS games are the best for games that are point and click.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
This is a device meant for a professional setting, not your general home use/entertainment. A lot of medical professionals would love this thing simply because they could look up electronic patient medical records for all the patients they're going to be seeing instead of carrying around a number of hard copy records that can be quite heavy and hefty depending on the patient. (I use to work for a medical center and I've seen patient hard copy records that were 5 inches thick for a single patient!) Something like this would be a godsend for a lot of medical professionals allowing them to update patient information quickly and effciently while performing other tasks. The things that a medical professional does would not be doable on an iPad, but would be very doable on this device.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Now this is interesting.
But why Gorilla Glass? My Cowon S9 PMP has gorilla glass, and it only took me a couple of days to scratch it. Maybe I've just been waiting to o long hoping someone would make a phone r something with sapphire glass (sapphire glass covers for watches can be done cheaply enough, why not a phone/mp3/tablet?).

I would actually like to have one of these for my work. I've wanted a tablet to control some equipment for a while, and I know it's possible (our tech was controlling it with his laptop, how much would it cost for someone to make the wireless adapter?). With this, it would actually last more than a week.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]This is a device meant for a professional setting, not your general home use/entertainment. A lot of medical professionals would love this thing simply because they could look up electronic patient medical records for all the patients they're going to be seeing instead of carrying around a number of hard copy records that can be quite heavy and hefty depending on the patient. (I use to work for a medical center and I've seen patient hard copy records that were 5 inches thick for a single patient!) Something like this would be a godsend for a lot of medical professionals allowing them to update patient information quickly and effciently while performing other tasks. The things that a medical professional does would not be doable on an iPad, but would be very doable on this device.[/citation]

There are already a ton of those kinds of devices out there. While this one is certainly powerful, it is by no means unique. The GP office I go to has been using them for 3 years now, and they aren't even particularly cutting edge.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
anyone who has used a motion computing tablet knows they're bad-ass and worth the money for professional, medical, and field-deployed environments. they're very durable and the after-sales support is very good as well. one would most likely spend the same amount of money replacing broken ipads over the life of this tablet... and you can actually use real software to do actual work.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]RipperjackAU[/nom]"rouches", that's asian for touches. Damn the no edit function!![/citation]
You can edit your comment by pressing on the: Read the comments on the forums
Right under add a comment button will bring to the fourm then go over your comment and press edit!

nxym

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
though the stuffing is cool, look at the tablet design. looks one of those old tablets where you hammer your pen for a response

Status
Not open for further replies.