Clamchowder8

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys,
I need your help on choosing a motherboard. I'm looking to build a new PC. This new PC will be use for mostly surfing and downloads, so download speed is a top priority. Sometimes I use it for game such as Age of Empires II, but I'm not a heavy duty gamer. I'm looking for a motherboard that is stable, reliable and gives me the "bang for my bucks". A PC that doesn't need upgrade in the future. I won't be OC this board and video card is not a top priority. Obviously, we all want the best board at the cheapest price.

Thanks in advance.

Pricewatch has a listing for an ecs pci-e board under "motherboard combos" socket 939 athlon 64 3000. Normally, I don't recommend ecs boards, but their new nforce4 board got pretty good reviews. This is the budget version of their performance board, so it doesn't have as many features, but for you, may be just fine. It's about $227 shipped. You can add an x300 pci-e card for about $65 more.

Clamchowder8

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Oh..I forgot to mention the heatsink. I want a very quiet fan for my heatsink, on the same tolken, won't heat up my CPU too hot. Also, any recommendation on a quiet PSU?

I use a zalman "fan mate 1" a $5 rpm adjuster that works with any 3 pin fan to lower rpms for a reduced noise. I also use a sparkle 12cm power supply in a p4 system, and an antec 350w smartpower 2 fan ps in another. Both are very quiet. The athlon 64 boards use a "cool and quiet" software program that should work fine with any heatsink fan.

endyen

Splendid
I'm not a big fan of ecs generally either. Any of the nforce boards will give the kind of stability you need, and deserve.
The stock fans, for the A64s are the best fans AMD has ever used. They work very well and are very quiet.

Clamchowder8

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Cool..thanks for your help guys. Guess I'll stick with the stock HSF from AMD. As long as it is quiet and it is not too hot for the CPU.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'll go with endyen. A Nforce 3 with an A64-2800+ can be had for <$200.00 US. There is NO VALUE in socket A right now with WIN-64 upon us.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot