new dfi lanparty ultra-d board problems

technewb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2005
hi, im helping a friend put together his new comp and we have a weird problem. Everything is hooked up and after some whack bios beeps we switched the ram around and now it turns on.. no bios beeps, with a lanparty logo on the moniter.. but goes no further. It just turns on and sits with a lanparty logo on the moniter... we tried unhooking his 2 cd-drives, in case it was a power issue or something but no change, same thing when we unhooked all drives including HD and floppy.

I have no idea what this even indicates as there are no bios beeps... anybody know?? we have already tried resetting the cmos jumper. on another note.. his cpu fan shuts off after a couple seconds of the comp being on in this state... not sure if thats because of some smart temp. power saver feature of the mobo.. or cause of some error..

his specs are :
-newest dfi lanparty nforce 4 ultra-d mobo,
-2x512 corsair 3200+ (currently in slot 1 and 3)
-6600GT nvidia.. pci-E card
-athlon 64 3000+ socket 939 (with giant thermaltake heatsink and fan)
-only a 350 watt psu .. (but we unhooked all drives and still no dice)

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
did you hook up all power connectors?

There should be an extra one on the graphics card?

How about the mobo? 20+4 or a 24 pin connecter?

What kind of 350W PSU is that? A brand name? Can you borrow a higher rated PSU ?

The loving are the daring!

Tell us more about the "whack BIOS beeps" that you got the first time around. Is the PSU new or from an old system?

technewb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2005
his psu is a 350W icute .... the mobo manual says 24-pin plus a 4pin connecter on it.. there is no separate psu hookup for the Pci-E version.. (from what i have read) the pci-E bus supplies enough juice to power the card.

as for the bios beeps it was a constant intermittent beeping at a set tone and space, indicating memory error... which caused us to put the ram in different slots.. which caused the beeping to stop ;) and a stupid lanparty logo to appear and go no further =\

im wondering could it b he has to plug the card into the other pci-e slot ..? cause there are 2? .. i dunno :S

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by technewb on 02/20/05 02:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm wondering if his BIOS is set-up correctly. It sounds like he's not detecting any hard-drives.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

technewb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2005
er.. well thats the thing.. the bios cant be setup as we cant get to the bios... literally the first thing that happens when u turn the comp on is a stupid lanparty logo on the screen and thats it... no memory checking, no searching for devices.. no oppurtunity to enter bios.. just a screen with a logo that sits there and does nothing.. its not a HD detection problem.. if it even got to the stage where it was looking for a HD i'd b happy

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well default the CMOS and see what happens. When you turn it on just hold the DEL key down. Still no go? Stick one stick of memory at a time in Slot 1 and try again. If you put two sticks in and one stick is bad it won't always indicate it. Only other option is a CPU/Power problem with either cables or chip itself. Got any drive lights on? Cables reversed?

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

dhlucke

Polypheme
Double check your jumpers. That helped me. Remember that they change depending on whether you have one or two drives on a cable.

I have my memory in slots 2 and 4 (the orange ones) and that works fine.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

technewb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2005
alright, well, ill go over and double check all his jumper settings when i can i guess, though ive gone through most of them with him.. man and dfi doesnt seem to have a fricken tech support toll free number... they have a headquarters number and an email for tech support.. lame =\

normally it's not an issue with DFI boards but....support is overseas...

dhlucke

Polypheme
When you boot the board for the first time you get that logo. I turned it off in the bios after that. He's not even getting to the bios.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

technewb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2005
yea all the fans are running, and its 3200+ corsair value select dual channel 1024mb kit..

bah still no progress.. could this b some kind of cpu issue? the diagnostic lights on the mobo say it detects the cpu...