Paying full retail for equipment vs. signing a contract at..

Last response: in Network Providers
August 24, 2004 6:50:35 PM

Two years ago, I signed a one-year contract and am now going month to
month. I want to upgrade my Motorola v120 to the Samsung sch-a670.
Of course, I'm kicking myself for not signing a two-year contract
then; if I had, I would be able to get the $100 new-for-two credit.

So now my option is to sign up as a new customer with a two year
contract and get a discount. But they no longer have my $35/month
plan. The minimum cost would be $40/month (an extra $60 a year) Or I
could just buy the phone for $299 and continue month to month,
hopefully saving money in the long term.

If I continue my month-to-month, how long will they let me keep going
at $35.00. It would be sad if I paid full retail for the phone,
continued going month-to-month, and then they raised my rate anyway.

If I pay full retail and avoided a contract, would they still offer
repair service on the phone in the first year of ownership?

What about my old phone? I'd like to keep it as a spare since it's a
tri-mode. How hard would it be to reactivate it if I had to?

Thank you,
BK
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 7:46:07 PM

In article <1bf587a3.0408241350.421d4373@posting.google.com>,
beyotch_knowles@yahoo.com (Beyotch Knowles) wrote:

> Two years ago, I signed a one-year contract and am now going month to
> month. I want to upgrade my Motorola v120 to the Samsung sch-a670.
> Of course, I'm kicking myself for not signing a two-year contract
> then; if I had, I would be able to get the $100 new-for-two credit.
>
> So now my option is to sign up as a new customer with a two year
> contract and get a discount. But they no longer have my $35/month
> plan. The minimum cost would be $40/month (an extra $60 a year) Or
> I could just buy the phone for $299 and continue month to month,
> hopefully saving money in the long term.

You can sign a contract, keeping your current plan, and still get the
discount; the discounts are not tied to new customers, but only to the
length of the contract. All you will miss out on is the $100 "new every
two" credit, which comes off the two-year-plan price.

> If I continue my month-to-month, how long will they let me keep going
> at $35.00.

Forever. I have a plan that they haven't offered in about three years.
I renewed two years ago (and bought a new phone at the time, which is
why I renewed), and I'll be renewing in a week to buy a V710.

> What about my old phone? I'd like to keep it as a spare since it's a
> tri-mode. How hard would it be to reactivate it if I had to?

No problem at all.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous

On 24 Aug 2004 14:50:35 -0700, beyotch_knowles@yahoo.com (Beyotch
Knowles) wrote:

>If I pay full retail and avoided a contract, would they still offer
>repair service on the phone in the first year of ownership?

This part I can answer. If you purchase the phone through VZW, either
at a discount or full price, the manufacturer's warranty will still be
in effect, and VZW will honor the warranty. If you don't normally
carry insurance on your phone, you might want to check into an
extended warranty program for it. In this area it is $1.99/month.
You have to sign up before the manufacturer's warranty expires,
though.
August 25, 2004 12:18:03 AM

What about my old phone? I'd like to keep it as a spare since it's a
tri-mode. How hard would it be to reactivate it if I had to?

You can activate or de-activate your phone as often as you like at the
Verizon Wireless website using the phone's ESN number.

David R. Goyer

--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.
"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <1bf587a3.0408241350.421d4373@posting.google.com>,
> beyotch_knowles@yahoo.com (Beyotch Knowles) wrote:
>
> > Two years ago, I signed a one-year contract and am now going month to
> > month. I want to upgrade my Motorola v120 to the Samsung sch-a670.
> > Of course, I'm kicking myself for not signing a two-year contract
> > then; if I had, I would be able to get the $100 new-for-two credit.
> >
> > So now my option is to sign up as a new customer with a two year
> > contract and get a discount. But they no longer have my $35/month
> > plan. The minimum cost would be $40/month (an extra $60 a year) Or
> > I could just buy the phone for $299 and continue month to month,
> > hopefully saving money in the long term.
>
> You can sign a contract, keeping your current plan, and still get the
> discount; the discounts are not tied to new customers, but only to the
> length of the contract. All you will miss out on is the $100 "new every
> two" credit, which comes off the two-year-plan price.
>
> > If I continue my month-to-month, how long will they let me keep going
> > at $35.00.
>
> Forever. I have a plan that they haven't offered in about three years.
> I renewed two years ago (and bought a new phone at the time, which is
> why I renewed), and I'll be renewing in a week to buy a V710.
>
> > What about my old phone? I'd like to keep it as a spare since it's a
> > tri-mode. How hard would it be to reactivate it if I had to?
>
> No problem at all.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:51:51 AM

Since no one knows the true answer to this, you'll get different answers
from all different people here. I've already read a couple of them and of
course the answers are all different. Why? Because if you even call Verizon
itself, they have no idea on the answer either. You'll get different answers
from different people within the customer service departments. Why? Because
Verizon doesn't care to provide it's customer's with competent customer
service. They just throw people on the phone with little or no training.
It's big business and if a few subscribers cancel their service because of
poor customer service, Verizon won't care because they know a termination
fee of $175 will be in their pocket. So in any case, the customer is screwed
and big business wins once again.

My poor niece is still waiting for roll over minutes with Verizon. Or even
Friday night start weekends, or better yet...7pm start night times.

"Beyotch Knowles" <beyotch_knowles@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Two years ago, I signed a one-year contract and am now going month to
> month. I want to upgrade my Motorola v120 to the Samsung sch-a670.
> Of course, I'm kicking myself for not signing a two-year contract
> then; if I had, I would be able to get the $100 new-for-two credit.
>
> So now my option is to sign up as a new customer with a two year
> contract and get a discount. But they no longer have my $35/month
> plan. The minimum cost would be $40/month (an extra $60 a year) Or I
> could just buy the phone for $299 and continue month to month,
> hopefully saving money in the long term.
>
> If I continue my month-to-month, how long will they let me keep going
> at $35.00. It would be sad if I paid full retail for the phone,
> continued going month-to-month, and then they raised my rate anyway.
>
> If I pay full retail and avoided a contract, would they still offer
> repair service on the phone in the first year of ownership?
>
> What about my old phone? I'd like to keep it as a spare since it's a
> tri-mode. How hard would it be to reactivate it if I had to?
>
> Thank you,
> BK
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:54:49 AM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:46:07 -0700, Michelle Steiner
<michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

>In article <1bf587a3.0408241350.421d4373@posting.google.com>,
> beyotch_knowles@yahoo.com (Beyotch Knowles) wrote:
>
>> Two years ago, I signed a one-year contract and am now going month to
>> month. I want to upgrade my Motorola v120 to the Samsung sch-a670.
>> Of course, I'm kicking myself for not signing a two-year contract
>> then; if I had, I would be able to get the $100 new-for-two credit.
>>
>> So now my option is to sign up as a new customer with a two year
>> contract and get a discount. But they no longer have my $35/month
>> plan. The minimum cost would be $40/month (an extra $60 a year) Or
>> I could just buy the phone for $299 and continue month to month,
>> hopefully saving money in the long term.
>
>You can sign a contract, keeping your current plan, and still get the
>discount; the discounts are not tied to new customers, but only to the
>length of the contract. All you will miss out on is the $100 "new every
>two" credit, which comes off the two-year-plan price.
>
>> If I continue my month-to-month, how long will they let me keep going
>> at $35.00.
>
>Forever. I have a plan that they haven't offered in about three years.
>I renewed two years ago (and bought a new phone at the time, which is
>why I renewed), and I'll be renewing in a week to buy a V710.
>
>> What about my old phone? I'd like to keep it as a spare since it's a
>> tri-mode. How hard would it be to reactivate it if I had to?
>
>No problem at all.
I recently upgraded phones on a family share plan. I was told that
since my plan wasn't offered any more, I had to take a new plan. The
only change was the In Network usage. The plan minutes and price
remained the same but it was a new plan. I had asked several different
times at Verizon stores and on the phone. The answer was the same
each time
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:54:50 AM

In article <tghni0t08v8d3jivma752g6gtiue61obnp@4ax.com>,
Teddeli <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> I recently upgraded phones on a family share plan. I was told that
> since my plan wasn't offered any more, I had to take a new plan. The
> only change was the In Network usage. The plan minutes and price
> remained the same but it was a new plan. I had asked several
> different times at Verizon stores and on the phone. The answer was
> the same each time

I was told repeatedly over the years that once you're on a plan you can
keep it for however long you want, but if the plan's not offered any
more, you can't make any changes to it (e.g., get more minutes).

I'll find out for sure next Wednesday, when I buy the V720.

Your situation may be different because of the family share thing; I
have an individual plan.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:47:24 AM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:51:51 -0400, "Killer Madness"
<killer@nospam.net> wrote:

>My poor niece is still waiting for roll over minutes with Verizon. Or even
>Friday night start weekends, or better yet...7pm start night times.

So why does she not go with another carrier that offers these?
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:53:14 AM

Ooops: you can "upgrade" and stay on your existing plan. If anyone tells
you differently, they are in error. The computer screens on an upgrade do
NOT require you to change the plan, but they do require you to enter the new
term, call it two years. You should have no problem keeping your existing
plan. People who tell you otherwise are trying to get you to pay MORE for
minutes you use less. A recurring message, but a consistent theme. Keep
calling CS until you find someone that says: yes, you can keep your
"existing plan". No problem. Call me if you can't get anyone to help...
we'd be glad to help you do it "your way." dr

"Beyotch Knowles" <beyotch_knowles@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Two years ago, I signed a one-year contract and am now going month to
> month. I want to upgrade my Motorola v120 to the Samsung sch-a670.
> Of course, I'm kicking myself for not signing a two-year contract
> then; if I had, I would be able to get the $100 new-for-two credit.
>
> So now my option is to sign up as a new customer with a two year
> contract and get a discount. But they no longer have my $35/month
> plan. The minimum cost would be $40/month (an extra $60 a year) Or I
> could just buy the phone for $299 and continue month to month,
> hopefully saving money in the long term.
>
> If I continue my month-to-month, how long will they let me keep going
> at $35.00. It would be sad if I paid full retail for the phone,
> continued going month-to-month, and then they raised my rate anyway.
>
> If I pay full retail and avoided a contract, would they still offer
> repair service on the phone in the first year of ownership?
>
> What about my old phone? I'd like to keep it as a spare since it's a
> tri-mode. How hard would it be to reactivate it if I had to?
>
> Thank you,
> BK
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 6:51:20 AM

> So now my option is to sign up as a new customer with a two year
> contract and get a discount. But they no longer have my $35/month
> plan. The minimum cost would be $40/month

Are you sure that the new plan is not worth the extra $5 per month? In my
case (I was a 2+ year month-to-month holdout) the new plan was worth the
extra money. I gained unlimited cell to cell (In Network) calling, more
peak minutes and free nights. I already had free weekends.
reply address bot resistant and human safe
August 25, 2004 12:08:09 PM

On 8/24/04 10:51 PM, in article i9TWc.12141$fR2.11174@fe35.usenetserver.com,
"Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote:

> My poor niece is still waiting for roll over minutes with Verizon. Or even
> Friday night start weekends, or better yet...7pm start night times.

Since the promotion is Nights and Weekends, 9pm Friday falls on a Night and
12am Saturday is a Weekend, so what's the big deal? Even if they gave you
N&W, I'd bet it wouldn't start until 9pm Friday anyway.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:52:39 PM

"dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
> Ooops: you can "upgrade" and stay on your existing plan. If anyone
tells
> you differently, they are in error. The computer screens on an
upgrade do
> NOT require you to change the plan, but they do require you to enter
the new
> term, call it two years. You should have no problem keeping your
existing
> plan. People who tell you otherwise are trying to get you to pay
MORE for
> minutes you use less. A recurring message, but a consistent theme.
Keep
> calling CS until you find someone that says: yes, you can keep your
> "existing plan". No problem. Call me if you can't get anyone to
help...
> we'd be glad to help you do it "your way." dr

Actually the original poster said he was on a 1 Year contract and is
now month to month. He does not need to opt for any contract and he
can purchase a phone outright at the listed cost associated with it.
Be it $300 or less the phone can be simply activated on the phone,
online, or at the store without any contract extension. As long as
he/she does not make any *PLAN* changes will the original plan remain,
yes it does. I have had service for more years that I can count (When
cellular was born I was there) and I have no contracts or extensions
and I pay full price for the equipment. This way if I want to depart I
won't have that $175 ETF to worry about.

Why is it that Verizons customers service agents and sales reps or
selling partners can;t just stop trying to screw over the customers
for that almighty dollar and give the correct answers the first time a
person calls instead of having to call ten times to find a
"reasonable" rep? The answer should be the same from the first call to
the tenth call.

Elector
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 8:20:35 PM

Checked again: Yes, you can keep your current/grandfathered plan. And, by
coincidence, I just received an email from Verizon Wireless that describes
in detail "what action ... to do upgrades for customers who are not wishing
to change their current price plan and stay on a "Grandfathered Plan". " (no
you can't have a copy)

It is clear to me that there is no problem here. If you find yourself
connected with a store/agent/customer service who isn't "current", suggest
they go to their "hot tips" for an updated memo "Grandfather Upgrades
Update"

PS: If you want roll-over minutes from Verizon, suggest you do
pay-as-you-go. If you are waiting for a wireless carrier to be "perfect"
and give you the best of all worlds, it will happen at 2pm Wednesday of next
week "gauranteed", only to be bested by an unannounced TBD company at 2:01pm
the next day. Good luck on your timing.

Happy to say I'm a midwest master agent for VZW. And despite my opinions,
VZW is the final authority on someone's ability to keep a plan blah, blah,
blah... dr.

"Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Since no one knows the true answer to this, you'll get different answers
> from all different people here. I've already read a couple of them and of
> course the answers are all different. Why? Because if you even call
Verizon
> itself, they have no idea on the answer either. You'll get different
answers
> from different people within the customer service departments. Why?
Because
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 8:20:35 PM

Yes, I agree with your statement, buy at full retail is an option. But the
title says:
- pay full retail vs signing a contract at a higher rate. You might be
pressured to signup for a higher rate plan, but you can stay on your current
plan "grandfathered". My apologies if I've mis-read the title. dr

PS: If he's on a 1 yr contract and is now month to month: then he is not on
a contract. And, as his prior agreement was not a 2 yr, he is most likely
not eligible for a new every two. However, if his total time: 1 yr contract
plus if he's been month-to-month for 12 months, a good agent would "lobby"
to get this person a New Every Two, if the plan in question was at least
$35.00/month. For sure, I would, even if it meant not getting a
commission. Doing the right thing pays off in the long run; doing what's
easy, feels good for the moment. dr

PPS: Elector: I applaud your approach to taking the high road and getting
the phone of your choice at retail. However, there is only (1) $175 early
termination fee. And if your first phone was "subsidized", and your 2nd,
3rd 4th, etc.... You would have saved at least $100 or more on each upgrade
or renewal..... and by your 4th phone you would have saved $400 and should
be willing to pay the $175 with glee to cancel at your convenience: just a
thought, dr.

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Actually the original poster said he was on a 1 Year contract and is
> now month to month. He does not need to opt for any contract and he
> can purchase a phone outright at the listed cost associated with it.
> Be it $300 or less the phone can be simply activated on the phone,
> online, or at the store without any contract extension. As long as
> he/she does not make any *PLAN* changes will the original plan remain,
> yes it does. I have had service for more years that I can count (When
> cellular was born I was there) and I have no contracts or extensions
> and I pay full price for the equipment. This way if I want to depart I
> won't have that $175 ETF to worry about.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:47:28 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:38:28 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>It even made him a little angry since there was a code for just
>that purpose.

OOC, did he have to consult a notebook to get the code?
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 12:46:18 AM

In article <o84Xc.9391$VY.8032@trndny09>,
"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:

> so why would you not want the cheaper price and get the contract and
> pay the ETF if you really want to leave since the cost of retail of
> the phone versus the plan price w/contract is more than the $175 so
> you would still be saving money on the cost of the equipment even if
> you left the service early. I know that you and him are both correct,
> but I always do things my own way. Ha ha

I'm glad that you have the money to waste.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 12:51:33 AM

In article <cgilai$rvs$1@ratbert.glorb.com>,
Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

> > What alarms me is the way Verizon (Stores, on-line, and resale
> > partners) will tell a present customer that they have to extend
> > their contracts to keep their calling plans when the plans are for
> > life of the service.
>
> Even if they're not buying a new phone, or does this only apply when
> buying a phone?

Only if you're buying a new phone. If you're not changing your plan,
and you're not buying a new phone, you don't have to sign a new contract.

I have the old 12 western states with no roaming-charges plan, and 3000
night and weekends. Anywhere I go in that dozen western states (alaska,
hawaii, california, oregon, washington, arizona, nevada, new mexico,
colorado, utah, wyoming, idaho--plus el paso), I can make or receive
calls without paying any roaming or long distance charges.

If I decide to keep my phone and not buy another one, I'll continue on
the plan for as long as I want without having to sign a new contract.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 2:18:44 AM

She eventually will. I already told her I would pay for the $175 termination
fee. She doesn't want to go through in getting her number ported because of
some of the problems out there. You know how young girls are...on the phone
24x7.

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:51:51 -0400, "Killer Madness"
> <killer@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> >My poor niece is still waiting for roll over minutes with Verizon. Or
even
> >Friday night start weekends, or better yet...7pm start night times.
>
> So why does she not go with another carrier that offers these?

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 2:21:34 AM

No, you're an idiot. Verizon has their head up their ass so high they forget
the customer's are the ones that actually pay for it to keep operating. If
they keep treating customer's like idiot's and don't believe in customer
satisfaction soon they'll eventually be eaten up by the competition. Don't
worry...time will tell.

> Checked again: Yes, you can keep your current/grandfathered plan. And, by
> coincidence, I just received an email from Verizon Wireless that describes
> in detail "what action ... to do upgrades for customers who are not
wishing
> to change their current price plan and stay on a "Grandfathered Plan". "
(no
> you can't have a copy)
>
> It is clear to me that there is no problem here. If you find yourself
> connected with a store/agent/customer service who isn't "current", suggest
> they go to their "hot tips" for an updated memo "Grandfather Upgrades
> Update"
>
> PS: If you want roll-over minutes from Verizon, suggest you do
> pay-as-you-go. If you are waiting for a wireless carrier to be "perfect"
> and give you the best of all worlds, it will happen at 2pm Wednesday of
next
> week "gauranteed", only to be bested by an unannounced TBD company at
2:01pm
> the next day. Good luck on your timing.
>
> Happy to say I'm a midwest master agent for VZW. And despite my opinions,
> VZW is the final authority on someone's ability to keep a plan blah, blah,
> blah... dr.
>
> "Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Since no one knows the true answer to this, you'll get different answers
> > from all different people here. I've already read a couple of them and
of
> > course the answers are all different. Why? Because if you even call
> Verizon
> > itself, they have no idea on the answer either. You'll get different
> answers
> > from different people within the customer service departments. Why?
> Because

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:28:51 AM

Dear Killer: Thank you; just me the idiot, acknowledging your kind post.

> No, you're an idiot. Verizon has their head up their ass so high they
forget
> the customer's are the ones that actually pay for it to keep operating. If
> they keep treating customer's like idiot's and don't believe in customer
> satisfaction soon they'll eventually be eaten up by the competition. Don't
> worry...time will tell.
>
> "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
> > Checked again: Yes, you can keep your current/grandfathered plan. And,
by
> > coincidence, I just received an email from Verizon Wireless that
describes
> > in detail "what action ... to do upgrades for customers who are not
> wishing
> > to change their current price plan and stay on a "Grandfathered Plan". "
> (no
> > you can't have a copy)
> >
> > It is clear to me that there is no problem here. If you find yourself
> > connected with a store/agent/customer service who isn't "current",
suggest
> > they go to their "hot tips" for an updated memo "Grandfather Upgrades
> > Update"
> >
> > PS: If you want roll-over minutes from Verizon, suggest you do
> > pay-as-you-go. If you are waiting for a wireless carrier to be
"perfect"
> > and give you the best of all worlds, it will happen at 2pm Wednesday of
> next
> > week "gauranteed", only to be bested by an unannounced TBD company at
> 2:01pm
> > the next day. Good luck on your timing.
> >
> > Happy to say I'm a midwest master agent for VZW. And despite my
opinions,
> > VZW is the final authority on someone's ability to keep a plan blah,
blah,
> > blah... dr.
> >
> > "Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > > Since no one knows the true answer to this, you'll get different
answers
> > > from all different people here. I've already read a couple of them and
> of
> > > course the answers are all different. Why? Because if you even call
> > Verizon
> > > itself, they have no idea on the answer either. You'll get different
> > answers
> > > from different people within the customer service departments. Why?
> > Because

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 12:11:21 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:18:44 -0400, "Killer Madness"
<killer@nospam.net> wrote:

>She eventually will. I already told her I would pay for the $175 termination
>fee. She doesn't want to go through in getting her number ported because of
>some of the problems out there. You know how young girls are...on the phone
>24x7.

I have two teenagers myself. I can sympathize.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:04:27 PM

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:38:28 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
>>It even made him a little angry since there was a code for just
>>that purpose.
>
> OOC, did he have to consult a notebook to get the code?

It was on his account management screen. Figure that one out. Telephone rep
did not see it because they wanted to sell a 2 year contract. That much I
figured out. I did like the other guy saying that No way or How I would get
that promo without a 1-2 year contract. Ha ha

Elector
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:07:45 PM

> Elector: I see your point. Sometimes doing it "your way" just feels good
> and gives you the max options. enjoy. We seem to take the same stand
> when
> someone says "can't" when we believe we know they CAN. We'd get along
> well,
> my friend: we believe what they told us when we signed up; and we won't
> budge when they say "can't" , yup, we'd have some fun making them do it
> the
> right way! dr

Always nice to have a friend in the business. Still have one at Cingular.
They were also great as far as service reception and roaming etc. but I just
got sick and tired of calling them up and correcting my bill for a gazillion
years. Other than that they had great service and nice local people to deal
with.

Elector
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:11:44 PM

> In article <o84Xc.9391$VY.8032@trndny09>,
> "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>> so why would you not want the cheaper price and get the contract and
>> pay the ETF if you really want to leave since the cost of retail of
>> the phone versus the plan price w/contract is more than the $175 so
>> you would still be saving money on the cost of the equipment even if
>> you left the service early. I know that you and him are both correct,
>> but I always do things my own way. Ha ha
>
> I'm glad that you have the money to waste.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

So am I. I was born to it, and I also work for it (money). However it does
not rule my life nor is it more important than my family or friends, it gets
the gadgets in life and I spend it since I can't take it with me. My wife
will get it when I depart. She works for her money and has the same value to
it. Live life and be happy and don't spend over your means and life is fun.

Elector
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:14:30 PM

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
<snip>
> If I decide to keep my phone and not buy another one, I'll continue on
> the plan for as long as I want without having to sign a new contract.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

If you buy the phone out right instead of the dreaded subsidized pricing or
off eBay or on any sale you can still change phones and keep the plan.
Simple ESN change.

Elector
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:14:31 PM

In article <GukXc.9352$Ff2.9346@trndny06>,
"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:

> > If I decide to keep my phone and not buy another one, I'll continue
> > on the plan for as long as I want without having to sign a new
> > contract.
>
> If you buy the phone out right instead of the dreaded subsidized
> pricing or off eBay or on any sale you can still change phones and
> keep the plan.

That's true, but I'd rather pay $149 (after rebate) than $349 (after
rebate); I have better things to do with $200 than pay it unnecessarily
on a cell phone. I do not dread that subsidized pricing at all. I've
been a customer of Verizon since March 1998, when it was still GTE
Mobilenet.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:45:29 AM

Well, everyone is an idiot most of the time....even myself. I have no shame
or that much pride at all to say I know everything...but believe it or not a
lot of people can never admit when they're wrong or being an idiot. Those
are the people I despise and hate.

"
> > (no
> > > you can't have a copy)
> > >
> > > It is clear to me that there is no problem here. If you find yourself
> > > connected with a store/agent/customer service who isn't "current",
> suggest
> > > they go to their "hot tips" for an updated memo "Grandfather Upgrades
> > > Update"
> > >
> > > PS: If you want roll-over minutes from Verizon, suggest you do
> > > pay-as-you-go. If you are waiting for a wireless carrier to be
> "perfect"
> > > and give you the best of all worlds, it will happen at 2pm Wednesday
of
> > next
> > > week "gauranteed", only to be bested by an unannounced TBD company at
> > 2:01pm
> > > the next day. Good luck on your timing.
> > >
> > > Happy to say I'm a midwest master agent for VZW. And despite my
> opinions,
> > > VZW is the final authority on someone's ability to keep a plan blah,
> blah,
> > > blah... dr.
> > >
> > > "Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote in message
> answers
> > of
> > > Verizon
> > > answers
> > > Because

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:45:30 AM

In article <x7yXc.33464$fR2.17947@fe35.usenetserver.com>,
"Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote:

> Well, everyone is an idiot most of the time....even myself. I have no
> shame or that much pride at all to say I know everything...but
> believe it or not a lot of people can never admit when they're wrong
> or being an idiot. Those are the people I despise and hate.

You must be full of self loathing.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 9:06:34 PM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:04:27 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>> OOC, did he have to consult a notebook to get the code?
>>

>It was on his account management screen. Figure that one out. Telephone rep
>did not see it because they wanted to sell a 2 year contract. That much I
>figured out. I did like the other guy saying that No way or How I would get
>that promo without a 1-2 year contract. Ha ha

They used to keep those "special codes" in a notebook the manager had
to search through. That's how I found out I could get extended
warranty coverage.
August 28, 2004 5:16:37 PM

You can continue month to month as long as you like.
Their website shows a $34.99 a month plan for 300 minutes.
For my area anyway. YMMV

You can reactivate the old phone yourself on their website.

!