Anyone know if Belkin Pre-n router offers advantage to peo..

What if I get a new laptop that has a built in 802.11G and then buy
one of these Belkin pre-n routers. Is there any difference to be had?
I would think not since the pre-n would have to fall back to 802.11g
but perhaps there is some gain.
Would like to know.

Thanks, Patty

Per Belkin, there is an advantage in a mixed b and g environment, as
apparently the pre-n does not fall back to lower speeds like the g does in
similar situations. Best to read the Belink Pre-n documents.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Patty Amas" <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What if I get a new laptop that has a built in 802.11G and then buy
> one of these Belkin pre-n routers. Is there any difference to be had?
> I would think not since the pre-n would have to fall back to 802.11g
> but perhaps there is some gain.
> Would like to know.
>
> Thanks, Patty

---

Thanks. Wish some real users who bought this would chime in.
Thanks
Patty

Patty Amas Wrote:
> Thanks. Wish some real users who bought this would chime in.
> Thanks
> Patty

Patty -

After months of tinkering with DLink super G (DI-624, dwl-g650 and
dwl-g520) with varying degrees of success, I just today bought a Belkin
F5d8230-4 along with a notebood and PC version of their pre-N NIC's.

In a word: superb! Range, speed and signal strength all blow away the
best I've ever seen with D-Link's super G. Also - the router tested out
to be very compatible with my D-Link dwl-g520 and dwl-g650 in "normal
G" mode, with an excellent signal and good bandwidth.

Overall, this appears to be a well thought out and well executed
product, despite being brand new.

--
jonazen

Glad to hear that you have good result from your pre-N wireless
router. May I ask you one question:

- Have you ever tried the reset button at the bottom of the router?

- Do you need to use a pin or a paper clip to press down the reset
bottom?

- Was this easy for you to press down the reset button with a paper
clip?

- What did the router respond when you hit the reset button? Did the
LCD start blinking?

I am having trouble with my Belkin pre-N wireless router. For some
reason, using a paper clip to press down the reset button doesn't seem
to do anything. Therefore, I want to see if mine is a lemon or
something. Unfortunately, the tech support didn't know much about how
the reset button works because the router is too new and they don't
have a picture on it on files. I am still waiting for a replacement
unit from Belkin. While I am waiting for the replacement, I would like
to learn how to reset button works and what I should expect when I
press down the reset button.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Patty -

Just realized that I didn't address your question directly. I probably
should have tested actual throughput with the DLink router talking to
the DLink pc card vs. the Belkin pre-n router talking to the DLink pc
card - but I didn't.

A couple of issues involved here:

If you're actually getting better-than-G throughput due to a
proprietary mechanism such as Atheros "super g" or Broadcom
"afterburner", then it's quite possible that throughput between a new
Belkin pre-n router and your legacy "g" card will be slower than it was
with the proprietary technology.

If, however, you're using "standard G", at 54 mbps signaling rate, then
I believe you'll actually see better results with the new Belkin router
than you would with your old standard G router talking to your legacy G
card -- although I can't swear to it. It would have been interesting to
try that out.

When I first installed the Belkin pre-N router, I left my old D-Link
"super g" cards in my wireless pc's. Everything connected up very
quickly, and it felt - subjectively - that the connection was
significantly quicker than it had been with the DLink di-624 running at
a claimed 108 mbps signalling rate. But it was when I installed the
Belkin "pre-N" card in the pc that I saw the really dramatic
improvement in speed that's promised by the Airgo mimo "pre-N"
technology in the Belkin router.

I know this probably won't talk to the 802.11n standard that will be
finalized in the next 18 to 24 months. But as far as I'm concerned, at
the minimum, it's a souped-up proprietary "super G", no different in
the compatibility issue than Broadcom's afterburner or Atheros super g.
None of the proprietary speed-boosting G technologies will "talk" to
the eventual "n" standard at anything other than standard "g" rates.
Belkin's version is somewhat pricier than the others -- but it's much
faster and has better range -- and the difference in performance is
worth the difference in price for me, and the compatibility issues are
NO different than you'd see with ANY proprietary enhanced "g"
technology.

Last note - more directly in answer to your question about improvement
with legacy network adapters:

The Belkin wireless connection to my old Dlink dwl-g520 wireless card
proved to be more stable than the Dlink di-624 connection to the same
card.

--
jonazen

Jay -

I haven't tried the reset button yet, but I'm guessing that this is a
pretty basic microswitch. I looked at the hole on the bottom labeled,
"reset". In my experience, sometimes if you use something as thin as a
paperclip, it might actually slip alongside the microswitch when you
insert it in the hole, instead of depressing it.

If you have an oversized paperclip (about twice the size of a normal
one), or a thin nail or brad, that might work better. Be sure to insert
it *straight* into the hole so it can't slip to the side of the
recessed button.

Also - from what I read in the Belkin documentation, pressing the
switch momentarily will do a simple reset - probably the same effect as
if you simply selected Reboot in the web-based configuration utility.
If you want to reset to factory settings, you're supposed to depress
the switch for at least 10 seconds before releasing it.

--
jonazen

> ... In my experience, sometimes if you use something as thin as a
> paperclip, it might actually slip alongside the microswitch when you
> insert it in the hole, instead of depressing it.
>
> If you have an oversized paperclip (about twice the size of a normal
> one), or a thin nail or brad, that might work better. Be sure to insert
> it *straight* into the hole so it can't slip to the side of the
> recessed button.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am almost ready to return it today. The Belkin tech support losed
the record of the conversation; therefore, they don't know that they
are supposed to send me a replacement unit.

I will try your tip to reset the router one more time with a brad nail
when I get back home. If this still doesn't work, I will have to
return it tomorrow.

Jay Chan

> If you have an oversized paperclip (about twice the size of a normal
> one), or a thin nail or brad, that might work better. Be sure to insert
> it *straight* into the hole so it can't slip to the side of the
> recessed button.

No luck. Last evening I used a finish-nail to press down the reset
button, and I surely felt the button toggling down. But the router
still didn't work (the installation program no longer recognize the
router).

I will return the router today before the refund period expires.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Jay Chan

Jay,

To restore the factory defaults, you have to follow what I have
written below. The Belkin manual is wrong. Apparently they know about
the problem and are going to fix it.

1. Power down the Router
2. Press and hold the reset switch.
3. Continue to hold the switch in and connect power again. Keep
holding the switch for 5 seconds.
4. The Router will boot up with the factory settings.

Kinda lame way to do it, but they say they are going to fix it.

Jay Chan Wrote:
> > No luck. Last evening I used a finish-nail to press down the reset
> button, and I surely felt the button toggling down. But the router
> still didn't work (the installation program no longer recognize the
> router).
>
> Jay Chan

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. I know that having a positive
experience with SOHO WiFi equipment is largely a matter of luck. So far
(only 3 days), my Belkin pre-n equipment has been working perfectly.
Got my fingers crossed, hoping that it will prove to be more stable in
the long run than my DLink setup was.

Good luck Jay.

--
jonazen

Jay (and wirelessnetguy) -

Interesting - that's virtually the same way that DLink (and I believe
Linksys) let you restore a router to a "pristine" factory default
state. In DLink's case (as with the di-624 rev Cx), you hold in the
reset button, unplug the power, continue holding in the reset button
while powering up and for an additional 10 seconds. This does what they
call a "crash recovery" process -- it actually wipes the firmware in
the DLink router, and when it comes back to the life, the router screen
requests you to point to a firmware image to load into it.

One thing I noticed that's different between Belkin and DLink's
approach to this is that Belkin actually specs a separate piece of
firmware to manage the initial boot up of the router that's apparently
separate from the user-loadable firmware image. For example, on the
status screen on for my F5D8230-4, I see that the "Boot Version" is
2.01.08, while the "Firmware Version" is 1.00.06.

--
jonazen

> To restore the factory defaults, you have to follow what I have
> written below. The Belkin manual is wrong. Apparently they know about
> the problem and are going to fix it.
>
> 1. Power down the Router
> 2. Press and hold the reset switch.
> 3. Continue to hold the switch in and connect power again. Keep
> holding the switch for 5 seconds.
> 4. The Router will boot up with the factory settings.
>
> Kinda lame way to do it, but they say they are going to fix it.

Actually, I have known about this. One of the Belkin tech support told
me something like yours already. The steps are slightly different
though:

1. Hold the reset switch for 15 seconds.
2. Power down the Router while keep holding down the
reset switch.
3. Continue to hold the switch in and connect power again.
Keep holding the switch for 15 seconds.
4. The Router "is supposed to" boot up with the factory
settings.

The differences between what they told me and what they told you are:
- My version requires me to press down the switch while I am
powering it down.
- They want me to hold a down for 15 seconds instead of just
5 seconds.

I have no idea which way is the "TRUE" way to reset that pre-N router.
Anyway, I already returned the router (CompUSA didn't give me any
problem as long as I purchased stuff from them). I am in the process
of wiring most of my house using cat.6 cable and a Gigabit switch. I
will revisit the wireless situation when the official 802.11n comes
out in 2006, and I will use it to cover areas in my house where I
cannot run wire into.

Jay Chan

You are correct. The Belkin router uses a Linux kernel and the
bootloader is the same CFE (Common Freeware Environment) available
freely over the net. The Router is using a Broadcom microprocessor
(BCM4704) to perform the routing functions. From my understanding, the
firmware image stays in the NVRAM of the router and is simply
re-written to the flash memory during the restore process.

jonazen <jonazen.1fl8ab@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message news:<jonazen.1fl8ab@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au>...
> Jay (and wirelessnetguy) -
>
> Interesting - that's virtually the same way that DLink (and I believe
> Linksys) let you restore a router to a "pristine" factory default
> state. In DLink's case (as with the di-624 rev Cx), you hold in the
> reset button, unplug the power, continue holding in the reset button
> while powering up and for an additional 10 seconds. This does what they
> call a "crash recovery" process -- it actually wipes the firmware in
> the DLink router, and when it comes back to the life, the router screen
> requests you to point to a firmware image to load into it.
>
> One thing I noticed that's different between Belkin and DLink's
> approach to this is that Belkin actually specs a separate piece of
> firmware to manage the initial boot up of the router that's apparently
> separate from the user-loadable firmware image. For example, on the
> status screen on for my F5D8230-4, I see that the "Boot Version" is
> 2.01.08, while the "Firmware Version" is 1.00.06.

Thanks all. Great info. I may soon buy one of these units.
Patty J

jaykchan@hotmail.com (Jay Chan) wrote in message news:<c7e5acb2.0411120825.290c94da@posting.google.com>...
> > To restore the factory defaults, you have to follow what I have
> > written below. The Belkin manual is wrong. Apparently they know about
> > the problem and are going to fix it.
> >
> > 1. Power down the Router
> > 2. Press and hold the reset switch.
> > 3. Continue to hold the switch in and connect power again. Keep
> > holding the switch for 5 seconds.
> > 4. The Router will boot up with the factory settings.
> >
> > Kinda lame way to do it, but they say they are going to fix it.
>
> Actually, I have known about this. One of the Belkin tech support told
> me something like yours already. The steps are slightly different
> though:
>
> 1. Hold the reset switch for 15 seconds.
> 2. Power down the Router while keep holding down the
> reset switch.
> 3. Continue to hold the switch in and connect power again.
> Keep holding the switch for 15 seconds.
> 4. The Router "is supposed to" boot up with the factory
> settings.
>
> The differences between what they told me and what they told you are:
> - My version requires me to press down the switch while I am
> powering it down.
> - They want me to hold a down for 15 seconds instead of just
> 5 seconds.
>
> I have no idea which way is the "TRUE" way to reset that pre-N router.
> Anyway, I already returned the router (CompUSA didn't give me any
> problem as long as I purchased stuff from them). I am in the process
> of wiring most of my house using cat.6 cable and a Gigabit switch. I
> will revisit the wireless situation when the official 802.11n comes
> out in 2006, and I will use it to cover areas in my house where I
> cannot run wire into.
>
> Jay Chan

TRENDING THREADS