BEST POSSIBLE SYSTEM? GIVE ME THE DETAILS

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
let me know what the best possible current system is:
details such as make/manufacturer amount etc.
and why this is the best
maybe i`ll build a system using it
and if you can price of each

hear me now, believe me later, trust me in between
i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
What do you want to do with it?
Do you have any hardware knowledge?
Do you wish to overclock?
Do you have a budget?

---
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 258x10=2580Mhz, ~1.52 Vcore
1Gb RAM, running at various strange speeds... :lol:
Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
What do you want to do with it?
Do you have any hardware knowledge?
Do you wish to overclock?
Do you have a budget?

games
built 4 other computers
no i don`t wanna overclock
i figure like 2000
but i want a system i can upgrade later
and i don`t need a monitor, opticals, mouse, keyboard
and i can possibly reuse my antec true power case w/ 480 watt psu

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
In which case, I would suggest something along the lines of:
<b>CPU:</b> Athlon 64 3500+ (socket 939)

<b>Motherboard:</b> A nice Nforce4 Motherboard - there's plenty out there and because it's PCI-Express you'll not have problems finding a top-flight graphics card in the future. I personally haven't really looked into the PCI-e boards so I'm unfamiliar with them. Any nforce4 board from Abit or Epox would probably do you fine. They're both decent manufacturers.

<b>RAM:</b>Well, you're not overclocking, but you will want dual channel, so 2 sticks of something like Crucial Ballistix PC3200. I don't think you'll see much benifit from more than 1Gb, if you're just playing games.

<b>Graphics:</b>Here's where you sink a lot of dough :smile: . something like a Radeon X800XT or X850 maybe.

<b>Hard disks:</b>We've seen a lot of dead Maxtor drives here at work, but then I have 3 80Gb Maxtors in my home rig, and they're fine (but I do have decent cooling for the main two which probably helps a lot). Most people seem to have their own preference, but the undisputed performance king is the Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM range, but they are expensive (you can buy a decently performing 7200RPM 200Gb disk for around the same price as a 36.7Gb Raptor) If I was building a new system now I'd probably get 1 Raptor for the OS and more frequently used programs, and a larger, cheaper, slower disk for general storage.

<b>Optical Drives:</b>Lite-on make great drives for good prices (DVD-R, CD-R, etc.). They actually make the drives for a few larger manufacturers (e.g. I think SONY drives are actually made by Lite-on) Bear in mind a DVD-writer can also write CDs, so you could have a single DVD writer drive which will do everything you need, but if you ever want to do a straight CD copy then 2 drives is useful (not <i>necessary</i>, but makes life easier).

Your Antec case should be fine, and you could save some cash by re-using it.

---

Huh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Click the link <A HREF="http://www.cray.com/global_pages/howtobuy.html" target="_new">http://www.cray.com/global_pages/howtobuy.html</A>

You might want to browse the Products link. They probably are not the optimal configuration for a gaming computer.

Based on your budget I would say that they are a bit out of your price range.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
You might want to browse the Products link. They probably are not the optimal configuration for a gaming computer.

Based on your budget I would say that they are a bit out of your price range.

u know what i used to own 2 crays and i thought they weren`t that good for games i put thme in the garage next to my hummers.

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Re: BEST POSSIBLE SYSTEM? GIVE ME THE DETAILS [re: arnold873]

In which case, I would suggest something along the lines of:
CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ (socket 939)

Motherboard: A nice Nforce4 Motherboard - there's plenty out there and because it's PCI-Express you'll not have problems finding a top-flight graphics card in the future. I personally haven't really looked into the PCI-e boards so I'm unfamiliar with them. Any nforce4 board from Abit or Epox would probably do you fine. They're both decent manufacturers.

RAM:Well, you're not overclocking, but you will want dual channel, so 2 sticks of something like Crucial Ballistix PC3200. I don't think you'll see much benifit from more than 1Gb, if you're just playing games.

Graphics:Here's where you sink a lot of dough. something like a Radeon X800XT or X850 maybe.

Hard disks:We've seen a lot of dead Maxtor drives here at work, but then I have 3 80Gb Maxtors in my home rig, and they're fine (but I do have decent cooling for the main two which probably helps a lot). Most people seem to have their own preference, but the undisputed performance king is the Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM range, but they are expensive (you can buy a decently performing 7200RPM 200Gb disk for around the same price as a 36.7Gb Raptor) If I was building a new system now I'd probably get 1 Raptor for the OS and more frequently used programs, and a larger, cheaper, slower disk for general storage.

Optical Drives:Lite-on make great drives for good prices (DVD-R, CD-R, etc.). They actually make the drives for a few larger manufacturers (e.g. I think SONY drives are actually made by Lite-on) Bear in mind a DVD-writer can also write CDs, so you could have a single DVD writer drive which will do everything you need, but if you ever want to do a straight CD copy then 2 drives is useful (not necessary, but makes life easier).

Your Antec case should be fine, and you could save some cash by re-using it.

---
1Gb RAM, running at various strange speeds...

thats along the lines of what i was thinking but i thought
an sli board might be a good idea for future expandablity

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

G

try taking a look at DFI's Lanparty nf4 boards, you may like them

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Didn't really have anything in mind, just thinking the new nVidia line is a bit better than what Ati can offer but I don't really know how good the 850 is and what the actual price is.

G

<A HREF="http://www.computerbrain.com/applications/search/itemdetails.asp?sku=SAX850XT256PCIE&sc=PW" target="_new"> Here </A> you go. I prefer the non platinum edition, as it seems there is a minimal performance difference between them :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Use "[^quote^] <Text you want to quote> [^/quote^]", but without the '^' to quote stuff, it'll help avoid confusion.

read the FAQ (link on the left side of the screen) for all the other markup options...

I don't think SLI is worthwhile for upgrading. It's only appeal is if you want <i>the</i> fastest machine <i>now</i> and have a silly amount of spare money. By the time the performance of a single 6600 or 6800GT becomes too low for modern games, there'll almost certainly be a cheaper single replacement card, that will deliver better performance in most things (remember SLI currently gives no performance increase in many games, although this will no doubt get better in time). Plus if you buy a single, say, 6800Ultra, then in three year's time you'll be limited to a choice of only one card if you want to upgrade, or you'll have to give up SLI anyway.

It's a toy for people with too much cash. A gamer simply doesn't need any more power than a single top-notch card, and with that criteria the x850 is the better pick.

---

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I suggest buying a $200 card, a 6600 GT (unless you play EverQuest 2 in which case you apparently NEED an ATI card).

Then upgrade to a new card in the $200 price range as soon as you find that you cannot play modern games as exceptable settings.

This is a far better strategy than buying a $500 video card and keeping it for two years as some people do.

Then again if you actually have the money to buy a $500 card evertime new games require new hardware features then I bow to you, and your matterial success :)

I would also lean strongly towards the NF4 motherboards, but they are realatively new so do a lot of research before settling on a model.

2x512 PC3200 is all the memory you need. I like any Corsairs XMS modules that can run at 2-2-2 timmings.

I also like using an WD Raptor for my OS drive.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Re: BEST POSSIBLE SYSTEM? GIVE ME THE DETAILS [re: arnold873]

I suggest buying a $200 card, a 6600 GT (unless you play EverQuest 2 in which case you apparently NEED an ATI card).

Then upgrade to a new card in the $200 price range as soon as you find that you cannot play modern games as exceptable settings.

This is a far better strategy than buying a $500 video card and keeping it for two years as some people do.

Then again if you actually have the money to buy a $500 card evertime new games require new hardware features then I bow to you, and your matterial success :)

I would also lean strongly towards the NF4 motherboards, but they are realatively new so do a lot of research before settling on a model.

2x512 PC3200 is all the memory you need. I like any Corsairs XMS modules that can run at 2-2-2 timmings.

I also like using an WD Raptor for my OS drive

u know what though my current system plays HL2 pretty good
so i might just wait to upgrade
??

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
read the FAQ (link on the left side of the screen) for all the other markup options...

I don't think SLI is worthwhile for upgrading. It's only appeal is if you want the fastest machine now and have a silly amount of spare money. By the time the performance of a single 6600 or 6800GT becomes too low for modern games, there'll almost certainly be a cheaper single replacement card, that will deliver better performance in most things (remember SLI currently gives no performance increase in many games, although this will no doubt get better in time). Plus if you buy a single, say, 6800Ultra, then in three year's time you'll be limited to a choice of only one card if you want to upgrade, or you'll have to give up SLI anyway.

It's a toy for people with too much cash. A gamer simply doesn't need any more power than a single top-notch card, and with that criteria the x850 is the better pick.

---
1Gb RAM, running at various strange speeds...

u know what though if i upgrade and i don`t get it i`ll regret it probably, i mean its only like 40-50 more
if i never use it what the hell right?

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

G

Well if you're gonna go SLI, just make sure you have a fast enough processor. I believe the THG review said that even with a 939 amd4000+ the cpu still couldn't keep up with the 2 6800 Ultras.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Please go to the Faq and learn how to quote. Its gets old trying to figure out what you saying. As much as you have been posting, you need to figure this out or the members will start to ignore your post.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

dhlucke

Polypheme
I just sent him a PM explaining how to quote. That should help. Let's not ignore him.

<i><font color=red>Sex is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.</font color=red></i>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
[Over 50% of his posts contributes toward new thread with weird/useless questions...
This thread is just plain annoying.]

sorry dewd i was just trying to answer some questions that i had for a long time but no answers to. most people have been very helpful and i thank them for that. i`m just not used to the way this message board works. sorry

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
This next line is how you do it.
this is the quote[backspace]
[/]
I had to use the word backspace to show you would use the real backspace like I did under the word

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
[Well if you're gonna go SLI, just make sure you have a fast enough processor. I believe the THG review said that even with a 939 amd4000+ the cpu still couldn't keep up with the 2 6800 Ultras.]

i was prob going to get the 3500+ for now and use the sli tech down the road if i needed it, which i probably never would or have enough money to. just would be nice to have
it and not need it than to need it and not have it right.
the only issue i have is though if i get the nforce chipset then i`m forced into nvidia hardware and that could be an issue

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
ok i`m not going to quote anymore
i just figured it made more sense beause it showed the
remark i was responding to

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back