Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm hoping it doesn't...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Yohan_The_Brave

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2005
Well as far as I know it's the only chipset that will have both AGP and PCI Express. Is there something inherantly evil about VIA? Is there another option for a board with both AGP and PCI Express?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A few years back VIA cost me thousands of dollars in free service work as a system builder by denying certain problems existed with their chipsets, forcing me to work those extra hours finding solutions. They have improved their product, but their pattern of sticking the screws to the end user left a bad taste in my mouth. SiS used to have problems, but the service time was shorter simply because they admitted these problems, making a solution easier to identify. Since then SiS has continuously made more reliable products. Intel publishes errata on their chipsets AND workarounds for any problems found, even going so far as to recall defective products, something VIA has never done. So that just leaves VIA as the irresponsible party who's made my life miserable.

Even if they could make a perfect product now, they've done such a terrible diservice to me that I cannot support their products.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Yohan_The_Brave

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2005
Well it's certainly understandable why you don't like VIA. Didn't the motherbaord company that supported the chipset have any way to help? I would think that a company who puts a chipset on their board would know what problems were known to pop up. The review on this sight seemed to be a positive one for the PT880 Pro, but maybe I should check into it more.