Need MB recommendation, please

how786

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Hi,
I need a STABLE MB for an Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester. I'd prefer stability over blazing speed. I've no intention of over clocking. It'd be nice if the MB had scsi hd support and AGP video support since my eVGA 6800 is pretty new. The latter features are desireable but not essential. No problem if I have to buy an Adaptec controller card.
My current system is a P4 built on a Gigabyte 8INXP. I found this to be the most stable MB I've ever had--rock solid. (Does Gigabyte make a similar board for the Athlon?)
Cost should not be a factor here. I'll pay what it takes.
Also, what memory do you guys like for the AMD?
Help appreciated guys,
How786

"We can do no great things, Only small things with Great Love"
Mother Theresa

pat

Expert
"(Does Gigabyte make a similar board for the Athlon?)"

If you would have take 5 minutes of your time and go over Gigabyte web site, you'll have find your answer for that question.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
not very nice is he. is it a socket 939 or 754. Have a Gigabyte GA-K8NS K8 Triton socket 754 board and It's been awesome. I have no issues with the board at all. I got it off of newegg for I think $74.00 but the price has probally gone way downl by now. It holds 3 gig ram max and is a full size mobo not a mini mobo. check the price on newgg. But i don't thank they offer a mobo with PCI-Express on it, and since your buying a mobo this late in the game You should go with one with a PCI-express instead of a AGP. But the AGP slot will still be around for a while yet. But I would check there website out still to get more of an idea. Remember to when you look at a mobo on newegg to it will give you the reviews of what people thought of it to. You should read those for sure because most of the times they will tell what issues they had with it and what they did to fix it.

pat

Expert
It is not about not being nice, but if he'd go to Gigabyte web site, and have a look at a64 motherboard to find one that can fit its needs, and then come here and ask about the motherboard he is thinking about buying then that would have been easier for everyone.

I wont go to gigabyte web site, looking at the specs of its old board, then look for a a64 board with about the same specs and recommend it or no..

It is just that.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

G

It's not that he isn't nice, I think Pat's been around here for quite awhile, and it seems to make folks abit edgy at times. Think about all the hundreds of peeps Pat has take time out of his day to help, probably with hardly even a thank you in return. You could understand how that may make one feel, but Pat <b> IS NOT </b> trying to be rude. And if he tells you something, you should seriously take his advice :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's not that he isn't nice, I think Pat's been around here for quite awhile, and it seems to make folks abit edgy at times. Think about all the hundreds of peeps Pat has take time out of his day to help, probably with hardly even a thank you in return. You could understand how that may make one feel, but Pat IS NOT trying to be rude. And if he tells you something, you should seriously take his advice.

Look, Pat gets paid the standard Tech rate all Tom's nimble knuckles get. He doesn't complain when the check comes! He should just do his job and stop whining!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

G

Lol Maybe they should hire you as some sort of "tech relations manager"

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

and that rate would be?...$0

endyen

Splendid
Gigabyte is one of the only tier 1 mobo makers that adopted nforce 3 ultra. Nforce is the most stable chipset brand for Amd. They make 3 boards that would fit close to your needs. None have built-in SCSI, unfortunately. This <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-263&depa=0" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-263&depa=0</A> would be a nice choice.
If you wanted to go to a board with pci-exp graphics, Abit and DFI also make some very solid stable products using the nforce4 chipset.

G

DFI is pricy, but good quality. Personally I like their Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D board becuase I'm not interested in SLI

Change siggy - you're an enthusiast...

how786

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Thanks.
What about this board?http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2273

"We can do no great things, Only small things with Great Love"
Mother Theresa

G

So I am :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>