which one is better to set up a system using 845PE?

helai

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
I want to buy the motherboard produced by ASUS and it's chipset is 845PE,so I want to set up the system like following,can you give me some advices?

1:
845PE+533P4+DDR400 £¨I prefer£ºP4PE-X/TE P4PE2-X£©
Because of the lower bandwidth of the memory communicated with CPU.I want to set the memory(DDR400) run under 200mhz while cpu is running under 533mhz.Can the motherboard support this function ? Does it cause any bad influences to stability?
2:
845PE+800P4+DDR400£¨I prefer£ºP4PE-X/TE P4PE2-X£©
For this combination. I notice that the data sheet point it out that the motherboard running at over clock,but I want to know which module is running at over clock? is power supply system? is 845pe chipset? or others?in this status,can the soundcard and lan card which embeded in motherboard run properly? especially does it cause any bad influences to stability? in this status ,whether it only exist the double memory channel difference with 865PE?

Can you recommend me how to set up the system using 845PE? Which is better?

Thanks,
helai

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by helai on 02/27/05 03:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

I would go with a different brand with the 865pe chipset. I use an msi board, but there are plenty to choose from priced around $75 up. The 845 is an old chipset, and you'll get more memory settings with the newer boards. I run mine with pc3500 memory at 333, and the cpu overclocked at 260 fsb.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with an i865PE board, if you're on a tight budget the Gigabyte GA-8ISXT-FS can be had for around $40, for less strict budgets the Abit IS7 can be had for around $80.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>