Question about dimension of the motherboard

helai

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Hello,
I am using MS-6163 which is produced by MSI,and now I want to upgrade the cpu from PIII450(SLOT1) to tulatin (c3 1.2G socket370),and with the motherboard exchanged from ms-6163 to ms-6337 simultaneously.but I find their dimension are different,see as below:
ms-6163 30*19.2cm
ms-6337 30.5*22.5cm
I also find the TUSL2-C(with same socket370) produced by ASUS has the different dimension 20.8*30.5cm.
so now I am confused by the dimension of the motherboard.
Can I exchanged these three motherboard freely? I only means the possibilty of their dimension,and not includes their function or sockets.
Who can tell me specification of the ATX,How do these motherboard factory design the pcb board? which kind of specification of motherboard can be exchanged freely.

the specification only means the dimension.
thanks
helai

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by helai on 02/27/05 03:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
As long as the mobos are ATX form factor they <i>should</i> fit into your case. Most cases are pretty flexible nowadays when it comes to screw holes and the small variation in mobo sizes. However, I have had cases that I had to "modify" to fit a larger mobo. Once I had to cut a small notch out of the lowest 5 1/4" external bay to accommodate a rather large group of capacitors on an MSI mobo.

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can put that processor on your current board, see the compatability list <A HREF="http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slott/compatibility.htm" target="_new">here</A> for proof that the $20 Upgradeware Slot-T works with the MS-6163. Also, the BX chipset offers better overall performance than other PIII chipsets.

ATX is an old standard using the inch standard! ATX boards are 12" tall. Convert that to metric, you'll see that 30mm and 30.5mm boards are "close enough" to the referece size.

As for the width (front to back), just make sure the board fits without anything hitting the drive racks, all three boards you've mentioned are close to the same width. Most cases support even wider boards than the ones you're showing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>