Reliable mobo?

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
My nf7-s2 motherboard seems to be having trouble. I changed hard disk to a 200gb SATA and reinstalled everything. After installing USB2.0 drivers (I now have 3 usb hd) I get system lockups when transferring files from one to another. If I leave the system on overnight, it reboots itself.

Im pretty sure it cant be the new HD, because Ive had 'issues' with the mobo for the last 6 months anyway.

But basically Im sick of the trouble I am having,so im looking to get a new one. I want stable, easy, has no problems with anything kinda thing :) Im currently using amd3000 and agp radeon9800 but I am perfectly willing to upgrade to pci and get a new chip. I use the Reservator watercooling for the gfx and cpu, and I want to continue to use them. The memory I have is 2x512 pc3200 from corsair.

I need a shopping list :) I was thinking of x800 for graphics, but had no idea about mobo, memory or cpu. If I upgrade mobo is it a good idea to change to amd64? Can i use my pc3200 or is it a better idea to change that? etc.

Any advice is welcome.

thanks, morgan

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, you could go cheap if you're convinced the motherboard is flaky, just replace it (or better yet RMA it - how old is it?) If Abit has a bad taste in your mouth, go with an MSI, Gigabyte, or Asus brand. Stay with the nForce2 Ultra chipset if you keep your XP chip.

If you want a new rig, I would go for an A64 and reuse that Corsair memory. Read up on the chipset reviews, Via or nVidia both perform well if you get the latest versions of their chipsets. I'd go for a socket 939 Winchester A64 chip. How fast? How much you want to spend? :)

The x800 will certainly give you a big boost over your 9800, but they are pricy... You can always use your 9800 for now if it works well for what you do and upgrade later. The 9800 is still a pretty good card.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

G

I would say that it depends on your $ situation. If you can afford it, I'd say to invest in a socket 939 amd64 cpu, preferably a 3200+ (called winchester). Look into a good nf4 mainboard; DFI has good options, plus you can choose if you want SLI or not (and I'd say not). For GPU, I'd either look at ATI's x850xt (the non platinum), or the x800xl. They are kind of pricey, so you could also go for a geforce 6800GT. Also what is the model # of that RAM? If it's the valueselect stuff, it may have problems with the nf4 chipset. That should get you going at least :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
I was thinking the nforce4 MSI, I was not thinking SLI though ... looks hard to water cool.

Im using credit card so im less worried about saving money as I am making sure i dont need to upgrade for a while. I dont want to just replace the mobo, I really want a better gfx within the next few months so I may aswell do it all in one swap. But that means Ill probably need new CPU at the same time.

The memory I have is the value select stuff. Would you suggest I buy new memory too?

G

It may be a good idea. Try looking at Cucial Ballistix, PDP systyems Patriot (their xblk is great for OC, or you could get the LLK for stock performance), or maybe even OCZ. Their Gold and Platinum line is great with that DFI ultra-D mobo. BTW the DFI Ultra-D mobo is not SLI :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
My overclocking days are over... the vapochill is in the basement and gathering dust :) Watercooling for silence and stability from now on.

I have an acoustiCase, with 2 120mm fans reostat controlled from the front, watercooled gfx and cpu.

I dont have watercooling for mobo currently and Id rather not have to add one and have to drain my system. Can most new motherboards have the fan removed and a passive cooler attached if the airflow in case is adequate?

My water cooling is the reservator, so im not sure an it can do the motherboard on top of the gfx and cpu anyway.

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Its alive and kicking ... but its heavily modified. All fans reabus controlled, watercooled hardrive bays and mobo/gfx etc etc.....

Which means everytime i change anything it take 3 hours to get it in and out and i run a big chance of breaking something cos its so crowded and fiddly. Finally got fed up of breaking stuff and just went for simple water cooling and silence :) Thats why im looking for a mobo that i can take the fan off and put a passive cooler on.

Now i want stable and easy. I want fast, but ill pay for it with cash rather than eek out each fps in voltage increments.

G

Funny I never would have taken you for an Aussie, you seem like such a down wit it American :smile: I guess coolness transcends nationality :cool:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
(I now have 3 usb hd)

What other USB devices are you running? Keyboard? Mouse? Joystick? PDA? NetCam? Sounds like you may need a POWERED Hub.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

G

Lol sorry, I apologize :smile: