mendonesia

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2005
i'm trying to help a friend fix his barely out of warranty hp pavilion a250n. when i turn it on, it usually (once in a great while, it boots completely) gives one short and then 6 short beeps. this code does not repeat. there is no video output. i get this code with nothing but the processor, hd and video card and ram plugged in. the power supply is good, the ram is good. i have tried to boot with another hard drive and got the same beep code (the hard drive was not loaded with an os).

this beep code isn't listed on hp's support page. it is a phoenix bios, according to hp's page.

i'm at a loss here and am about to have someone test the processor (2.6 Ghz P4) and then replace the mobo/processor, whichever seems not to be broken.

i appreciate any help here. i've heard you have a great community here. i hope i haven't broken any rules w/this post - i searched, but to no avail. thanks very much.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mendonesia on 02/28/05 09:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/14/1" target="_new">http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/14/1</A> <<- Beep Codes!

When a computer posts it usually gives a short beep. If that is the computer starting up then that leaves 6 beeps although that is a funny sequence.

There are a couple of 6 beep codes but most seem to say the Mobo is bad (if this is a 6 beep an not 7 beep code). A 1-3-3 is also bad mobo

You shouldn't need a HDD to boot to the bios.

Anyway hope this helps

The loving are the daring!

mendonesia

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2005
thanks. i read that page that you linked to. i think you are right in thinking that it is a bad mobo. that is the route that i'm gonna take in rectifying the situation. i will keep you posted and thank you so much for the help.

mendonesia

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2005
update - i finally got back around to this project and replaced the motherboard. it seems to have fixed the problem. so - make a note - a 1-6 beep code means bad mobo.

thanks for the help, guys. i'll be back...

TRENDING THREADS