Need advice on installing a new OS.

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Hi guys,
I'm helping a co-worker move from Win ME to Win XP Home. I'm going to get her to do a clean install but I want to verify a couple of things first:
1. I believe that the "upgrade" version is the same cd as the full version with the exception that she will need to show her previous Win ME cd during the process. Is this correct?
2. Will the restore disc she has, which contains all of her software including the OS, be good enough to verify her previous installation?

Thanks
Gary

1. Yes
2. I don't think so. But I could be wrong...someone else will post something more definative.

<A HREF="http://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/TV_Shows/Simpsons/flanderssong.mp3" target="_new">Audio Sig</A>|<A HREF="http://community.tomshardware.com/images/logo_black_xmas2.gif" target="_new">I made this!</A>

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
There are upgrade versions of XP which are sold at a much cheaper price than full versions. All you need to so with a full version is slap the CD in and install. Make sure that you format the drive though. I would not upgrade from ME to XP by any means. ME is a pile of junk and problems will probably surface without a clean install.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I agree that an update from ME should not be done. I have yet to see a fully stable and working upgrade from ME, I end up formatting them later.
If you must do an upgrade you just run the xp install from the previous windows install, that is the only way I know of to do it. I don't think the upgrade version is going to let you do a clean format by booting off the cd. I doubt an upgrade cd is even bootable.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Yeah do a full install man, format the drive as many times as possible to make sure you get rid of dat sucky ME which is lurking there trying to corrupt everything :p

schulte

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
If windows ME was a mentally retarded kid, it would be the mean one that lights things on fire and goes REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......RERRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! when you try to touch it.

RichPLS

Champion
Yes all XP cds of any flavor are bootable disks.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

OEM version costs about the same as an upgrade and you don't have to worry about having an old Windows disc around to verify your eligibility for an upgrade.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
When going from ME to XP, DEFINATELY do not get the upgrade version. Backup your precious data the format that drive. Afterwards install WinXP using a FULL VERSION.

I can see using the Upgrade Version when you have Win2k but its going to hell when from Win ME.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You don't need the Full version (too expensive, IMO) to install a new XP in WinME system. Boot the Upgrade version and choose formatting WinME's partition, then setup XP there.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

OEM is about the same price as the upgrade... give me one good reason why you'd buy the upgrade over the full OEM. It's completely unnecessary.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
give me one good reason why you'd buy the upgrade over the full OEM. It's completely unnecessary
Microsoft Tech support (you probably don't need it, but to others they might). Anyway, I was comparing it to <b><font color=red>Retail </font color=red>Full version</b> (Pro) which is almost double the price of the upgrade version ($299 vs $169).
FYI, I also have OEM XP on my sytem, but to install XP for my brother's, I bought the Upgrade version for him.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

I've found that MS will still help you via email... regardless of what OS you own. On the two occasions I've had to contact them, they were very prompt and professional. They kept emailing me until I told them the problem was resolved.

This was a little while ago... so I'm not sure if it's still the same or not. For the most part, there is plenty of info out there without having to resort to calling MS anyway... it's unlikely you'll need to phone M$ except for activation issues.

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
I have a Win XP Home upgrade version and a copy of Win ME upgrade. When I went to install XP, I could boot from the CD ROM and reformat to NTFS and install a clean OS. At one point, windows asked for the older version. Once it saw it, (the upgrade Windows Me) it just kept going until it was done.

<b>
<font color=red> If Music be the Food of Souls,</font color=red>
<i><font color=purple> Then Play On............ </b></i>
</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pata on 01/05/05 07:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>