Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Question about the Win7 family pack

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
September 11, 2010 11:05:23 PM

Since the Win7 family pack is coming back, my son is talking about buying a pack for me. Now, someone said that the same key is good for 3 PC's. Now if the 3 activations are used on 3 PC's, what about if I need to reinstall due to a virus or something, or I build a new machine and move my copy to the new PC? How would Microshaft verify that it is a legal use? Or is this an OEM as well as an upgrade?

My concern is that a reinstall would create an issue.

More about : question win7 family pack

a c 225 $ Windows 7
September 11, 2010 11:28:23 PM

The family pack consists of 3 keys, not one key that can be used 3 times.
m
l
September 12, 2010 6:09:07 AM

I just want to be sure of things before he spends that kind of money and someone on a thread somewhere said it was one key that could be used on 3 PC's. Also, is this the same as an OEM license? Or can it be moved to a new PC? Just incase I retire one of ours and want to install it on the new build.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2010 6:40:54 AM

As far as I'm aware the family pack is for upgrading only not for a new build. That means you would need to have a prior qualifying OS on each of the 3 pc's before you could use them.
m
l
a c 225 $ Windows 7
September 12, 2010 7:06:32 AM

I believe Jonmor is correct, the family pack is an upgrade license (it was the first time it appeared when Windows 7 shipped, and will likely be the same this time as well), so you would have to own a previous version of Windows to get this.

And to clarify, the upgrade license keeps the terms of the license you are upgrading (i.e. if you use the family pack to upgrade an OEM copy of a previous version of Windows, you cannot move the copy of 7 to another PC because the upgraded license is still OEM, whereas if the previous version was a Retail license, you could move the copy of Windows 7 legally).
m
l
September 12, 2010 2:39:38 PM

OK, I just wanted to be clear since one key for 3 PC's just seems to inherently come with questions. Three licenses makes more sense. I just hope htere are no issues in the end.
m
l
September 23, 2010 3:15:16 AM

I am still reading conflicting information about the activation key provided in this family pack. Is it actually one key for 3 PC's or 3 Keys?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2010 4:52:26 AM

3 Keys, for 3 pc's located at the same address.
m
l
September 30, 2010 11:24:26 AM

Wait a minute here. You have three keys that have to be registered at the same address? What? That would mean that my son can't legally buy a pack and give me a key and a copy. That would make no sense.
m
l