anybody know anything about dfi motherboards?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
anybody know anything about dfi motherboards they appear to be very good
i was interested in sli
if not whats a good company for sli besides asus?

hear me now, believe me later, trust me in between
i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

endyen

Splendid
Diamond Flower made some of the best socket3, and socket 7 mobos. They seemed to have dropped off the radar for a little, then came back strong with thier Lanparty line. They make premium quality mobos, though usually at a price premium. I rate them with Abit, Asus, and Gigabyte.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DFI is a great board maker, I've never had a failed DFI board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Now hey, if Crash likes it, it's good enough for anybody :smile: But yeah, if you want the DFI mobo that supports SLI (as opposed to the nf4 Ultra-D that does not), I believe its gonna be a lil over two Benjamins :eek:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Wraithfire on 03/02/05 01:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
well thats good to know
they seemed like a good company just telling from the website.
thanks

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
yeah i think its like 230
but do you see all the cool stuff it comes with?

i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

G

That it does, but I'm heading in the Ultra-D direction as I said earlier. SLI doesn't really interest me, but AMR on the other hand... :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
yeah the ultra d
allows 2 video cards right? two outputs
y not just get a card with dual outputs?
i guess you can have 4 outputs then huh?

your all just a bunch of slaves
how long you gonna let them push you around

G

Well the early ones had a sort of design loophole that allowed you to make a kind of DFI set up on the mb, but since then they have corrected that. The newer Ultra-D boards no longer have that ability. I just want to run games on my lil' 'ole LCD monitor and have fun :smile: without spending a fortune.

pauldh

Illustrious
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337" target="_new">Read the update</A> if you haven't already. NV is working hard to make sure that this won't work in the future, even with old boards. (drivers)

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

You could easily mod the Ultra D into a full SLI mobo.

You are correct, Sir. :wink:

No - Asus, Chaintech and a couple of other mfrs already had SLI boards on the streets. DFI actually released their SLI board at the same time as the Ultra D.

G

yeah, what Rugger said :smile: Anywho, I'm just not sold on the whole SLI thing, and even my interest in AMR is minimal at best. It's just too much money and too little performance for the time being. The bottom line, ya know? :cool:

Agreed - price/performance is non-existent for SLI. I want BANG for my BUCK. :smile:

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
yeha i see ur point but wouldn`t you rather just spend like 30 more and have sli then to not have it and regret it?
and whats AMR?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i noticed dfi
didn`t bother with parallel or serial connections
i like that; its sbout time they got rid of those

Why pay for something that won't do anything for you?! I could buy a couple of good bottles of whiskey for $30 - definitely get more use out of the whiskey to...

Another dilemma for SLI - you need to have two of nearly the same card. Same mfr and version of card to be safe. Will the same card still be avail when you go to add the second card? Food for thought...

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
true
i guess i would prob never use it
i mean who the hell wants to buy 2 video cards
i guess i`ll get a dfi or asus non sli
or maybe even intel if i decide pentium

G

And AMR is ATI's upcoming equivalent of SLI. 2 ATI cards instead of 2 geoforces. I understand that AMR will not require a connector like SLI does (the lil clip thingee in all the pictures attaching the 2 cards) :smile:

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
are there any benefits of amr as opposed to the nvidia solution?

G

Well all I know of so far is the AMR set up not requiring that bridge. Aside from that, I haven't seen any specs yet :smile:

pauldh

Illustrious
It's ATI, so is has to be better than SLI (LOL@GAME) :lol:

Actually AMR is anybodies guess right now. Can't judge something until it's out and thoroughly tested.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>